Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Skullcrusher

Default All Out Defense question

Question(1)

If a character attacks can he all out defend when it is his opponents turn to act?

Question(2)

following an all out defense can he attack the next round our is he excluded from attacking because he used all out defense previously?

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: All Out Defense question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Question(1)

If a character attacks can he all out defend when it is his opponents turn to act?
No. He declares All-Out Defense on his turn, and keeps the consequences of that decision until his next turn. This is one of the reasons some get bent out of shape (including me) about maintaining turn order!

Quote:
Question(2)

following an all out defense can he attack the next round our is he excluded from attacking because he used all out defense previously?
Every time your turn comes up, you may pick a new set of maneuvers (usually one). If you AoD for a turn, and your turn comes up again, you may All-Out Attack, Attack, Ready, Concentrate, declare a Wait . . . anything you want, including deciding to All-Out Defend again.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: All Out Defense question

Quote:

No. On his turn, he chooses his maneuver for his entire turn. If he chooses Attack (or All-Out Attack, or Move and Attack), then he hasn't chosen All-Out Defense. Conversely, if he chooses All-Out Defense, then that's his entire turn; All-Out Defense doesn't include an attack. The relationship is either/or . . . All-Out Defense is not a response to enemy action but a use of an entire turn.

Quote:

On his next turn, he may pick whatever maneuver he likes. Choosing All-Out Defense last turn doesn't prevent him from selecting Attack, All-Out Attack, or Move and Attack this turn.

I think you're overlooking two things:

1. You choose a maneuver at the start of your turn, and that remains in effect until the start of your next turn, regardless of what others do on their turns in the interim.

2. Your defenses are affected by your last maneuver. Your next maneuver is in the future, and not affected by your defenses before you get to pick that maneuver.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, maneuvers