Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
mikeejimbo

Default Mage magic in 4th Edition

I really like the magick system from White Wolf's Mage setting. It is both my favorite magic system and my favorite WoD game. I like that GURPS 3e got to have an adaptation of it.

So, how would I use my old GURPS 3e Mage: The Ascension in a GURPS 4e game?
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Mage magic in 4th Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo
I really like the magick system from White Wolf's Mage setting. It is both my favorite magic system and my favorite WoD game. I like that GURPS 3e got to have an adaptation of it.

So, how would I use my old GURPS 3e Mage: The Ascension in a GURPS 4e game?
What's wrong with Realm magic? It's essentially the same system, isn't it?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
mikeejimbo

Nothing that I know of, but I didn't know about the existence of Realm magic. Is that in Magic or Thaumatology? Because I haven't gotten my copy of Magic and I'm waiting for the hardcover for Thaumatology.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo
Nothing that I know of, but I didn't know about the existence of Realm magic. Is that in Magic or Thaumatology? Because I haven't gotten my copy of Magic and I'm waiting for the hardcover for Thaumatology.
It's in Thaumatology, so you'll be able to read up on it once it comes to print.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse
It's in Thaumatology, so you'll be able to read up on it once it comes to print.
Well darn. I'm considering buying the PDF and the hardcover edition. If they would give a discount for buying both, I'd definitely do it, just because it would alert my consumer "This is a Good Deal" senses.

Thank you for alerting me to it. It may fit well.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Phil Masters

Thaumatology Realm Magic is indeed completely usable for Mage magic, while being more generalised. However, honesty compels me to point out that there's actually nothing to stop anyone from using the GURPS Mage magic rules directly in 4e games, if you really like them as they stand.

(I'm actually running a GURPS Mage: Sorcerers Crusade campaign, now under 4e, with the GURPS Mage system, lightly tweaked for compatibility with Crusade.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
Thaumatology Realm Magic is indeed completely usable for Mage magic, while being more generalised. However, honesty compels me to point out that there's actually nothing to stop anyone from using the GURPS Mage magic rules directly in 4e games, if you really like them as they stand.

(I'm actually running a GURPS Mage: Sorcerers Crusade campaign, now under 4e, with the GURPS Mage system, lightly tweaked for compatibility with Crusade.)
So it doesn't really need any major changes for 4th Edition? That's pretty good. I'm not actually planning on running a campaign with it anytime soon, unfortunately. It's just an idea.

The next thing I need to do is figure out how to adapt the JAGS Wonderland magic system into GURPS, but that's another thread.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters

Do the point totals come out within the same ballpark as eachother?
I love the Mage the Ascension concepts as well.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Do the point totals come out within the same ballpark as eachother?
Yeah. The system is generified: Define the number of speheres (ah, realms) to encompass "all magic" and define the number of levels per sphere; that determines the advantage cost for each level of sphere. A "master of all spheres" character will have about 500 points in the relevant advantages. That doesn't count the corresponding skills, high IQ, and anciliary advantages he might have. One neat thing about GURPS, though, is that you can apply limitations on those sphere advantages both to make 'em cheaper and to represent the quirks of your paradigm.

GEF

NB: Personally, I've never liked Prime and Entropy as separate spheres; seems they overlap conceptually with the benefit of the doubt given to Entropy, and the latter sphere also gets decay, which Time should accomplish, and control of the outcomes of mechanical interactions such as weather and rolling dice more properly in the ralm of Forces and Matter. I could drop the sphere of Entropy completely and recalculate with just 8 spheres under the rules in Thaumatology.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef
NB: Personally, I've never liked Prime and Entropy as separate spheres; seems they overlap conceptually with the benefit of the doubt given to Entropy, and the latter sphere also gets decay, which Time should accomplish, and control of the outcomes of mechanical interactions such as weather and rolling dice more properly in the ralm of Forces and Matter. I could drop the sphere of Entropy completely and recalculate with just 8 spheres under the rules in Thaumatology.
It's noteworthy that in the latest edition of Mage (Awakening), Entropy is split into Fate and Death, Fate encompassing probability alteration and Death being decay. Entropy was always my favorite, so I'm sad about this, but eh.