Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Can you substitute a Ready for an Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I allow a Ready as a free-action with a Fast-Draw at -5. If they fail the roll they spend the action as a Ready action instead.

(Stolen shamelessly from the Pyramid article on making Aiming into part of the Attack action)
I've played in games that allow Fast-Draw at Skill-N. I think in the one game, N was 4, but I could see 6 as well, similar to Rapid Strike and the basis for most Combos.

This makes more sense for some things than others. Draw-and-strike is pretty legit and the basis of an entire martial art. The Aim thing from my article is really because the difference between aim and shoot is 3-10 lbs. of pressure with one finger, with nothing else changing.

Allowing "do what you want at Skill-6" for all uses of Ready might be prone to abuse, but for some tasks, it's pretty legit.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I allow a Ready as a free-action with a Fast-Draw at -5. If they fail the roll they spend the action as a Ready action instead.
Isn't that the normal effect of Fast Draw at no penalty?
Old 10-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Isn't that the normal effect of Fast Draw at no penalty?
Yes, sorry, that -5 is to default the Fast Draw to being used for other things beside the 'specialization'. I saw no reason not to allow it, and it's rarely been an issue.

I also assess extra penalties for items that are stowed in less convenient ways and allow a Fast Draw to reduce 'rummaging' time by it's MoS for stuff like "I try to Fast Draw the potion out of my backpack" "Okay, that's an additional -4 and (rolls 2d) takes 7 actions, make a roll!"

But keep in mind, I run ACTION! in all my genres, so a bit of 'over-the-top' nonsense is welcome.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual ready, extra ready, ready