Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Gigermann

Default Re: wait and counterattack

"Wait+Counterattack" really sounds, mechanically, like a "Riposte"

[Edit] In retrospect, both Riposte and Counterattack would have the same issues when used as part of a Wait

Last edited by Gigermann; 04-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

I really don't see any reason to limit the triggering conditions for a Wait beyond 'your character must be able to perceive it' and 'you must specify the trigger and response in advance'. So having your wait trigger after somebody's attack rather than preempting it seems fine to me.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
jacobmuller

The problem is, GURPS terms for the game mechanics aren't necessarily how we'd describe things in real life.
IMHO Counterattack doesn't work that way. Sounds more like you're doing Stop Hit, MA pg108. And, if you manage to Parry during the Stop Hit, you can Counterattack on your next turn.
Edit: I'm wrong

Last edited by jacobmuller; 04-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
The problem is, GURPS terms for the game mechanics aren't necessarily how we'd describe things in real life.
IMHO Counterattack doesn't work that way. Sounds more like you're doing Stop Hit, MA pg108. And, if you manage to Parry during the Stop Hit, you can Counterattack on your next turn.
...but that's exactly how counterattack works. After you parry a hit, you're allowed to use counterattack when making an attack.

Sure, you're free to do that on your next turn, which is the normal way to use it. But is there any reason you shouldn't be permitted to take that opportunity in a Wait action instead?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
jacobmuller

Just confuses my poor ol' brain:D
But whatever the experts say is okay, is good.
Edit see below

Last edited by jacobmuller; 04-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
No, a Wait simply delays your action until(if) it is triggered later during your turn.

This does mean that if used cleverly, you can get two consecutive attacks on the same foe without letting them attack you inbetween. E.g.

Alpha Turn 1: I take a Wait Maneuver. I'm going to wait to attack Beta until after he attacks me.
Beta Turn 1: I attack Alpha. [Beta attacks Alpha--which is resolved. As this was the trigger for Alpha's Wait, Alpha now attacks Beta--which is resolved.]
Alpha Turn 2: I attack Beta.
I'm a bit more concerned with this abuse:

Is there anything, mechanically, preventing Alpha attacking with an All-out attack, thereby getting all the benefits and none of the disadvantages - assuming he only has one opponent.

I realize Beta could do the same back to Alpha afterwards - assuming he's still standing. But that might be a big if. And it creates a never-ending cycle.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Is there anything, mechanically, preventing Alpha attacking with an All-out attack, thereby getting all the benefits and none of the disadvantages - assuming he only has one opponent.
Alpha can only take an All-Out Attack if he hasn't taken any Active Defenses since he took the Wait. Which means he needs to just take Beta's hit if he wants to do this.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Alpha can only take an All-Out Attack if he hasn't taken any Active Defenses since he took the Wait. Which means he needs to just take Beta's hit if he wants to do this.
Though it does allow a setup where Alpha decides whether or not to take the all-out attack after finding out whether or not Beta scored a hit that turn, if my interpretation of the Wait text is correct.

Though Alpha may have to give up their move that turn entirely if they try that trick and then chose to defend. I'm not sure...I'd have to go parse my Basic Set.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Though it does allow a setup where Alpha decides whether or not to take the all-out attack after finding out whether or not Beta scored a hit that turn, if my interpretation of the Wait text is correct.

Though Alpha may have to give up their move that turn entirely if they try that trick and then chose to defend. I'm not sure...I'd have to go parse my Basic Set.
It says you have to specify the exact Maneuver you are taking. It then seems to imply that you can convert the Wait into an Attack if you can't All-Out Attack. Contradictory, a bit.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It says you have to specify the exact Maneuver you are taking. It then seems to imply that you can convert the Wait into an Attack if you can't All-Out Attack. Contradictory, a bit.
...That was about what I thought I remembered.

Tags
counterattack, maneuvers