Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #21
Rasna

Default Re: Looking for resources for a game set in Early Middle Ages Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
That is really great info, thank you!
Glad to help you as I can :)

In 8th-9th century Frankish Cavalry didn't use the couched lance technique yet. They fought holding their spears underarm, overarm and two-handed, but not couched. Frankish cavalrymen used the mounts to move quickly on battlefield but they not always fought mounted. In fact they used to dismount and fight as heavy infantry quite often.

I'm less informed about 8th-9th century Saxons, but the books that I've suggested to you should have some infos about them.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #22
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Glad to help you as I can :)

In 8th-9th century Frankish Cavalry didn't use the couched lance technique yet. They fought holding their spears underarm, overarm and two-handed, but not couched. Frankish cavalrymen used the mounts to move quickly on battlefield but they not always fought mounted. In fact they used to dismount and fight as heavy infantry quite often.

I'm less informed about 8th-9th century Saxons, but the books that I've suggested to you should have some infos about them.
Thanks for that info.

I have some questions about cavalry use of shields that I am usure if there is a definitive answer to: I know infantry used center grip shields at this time. Did cavalry? Or did they use a shield while mounted much at all? A lot of the manuscript miniatures I have looked at don't show cavalry with a shield, though I think one does. If they used center grip shields, did they just hold the reins in the same hand? Should that give -2 to Ride and Shield (Buckler) skill (so -1 to Block)?
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Thanks for that info.

I have some questions about cavalry use of shields that I am usure if there is a definitive answer to: I know infantry used center grip shields at this time. Did cavalry? Or did they use a shield while mounted much at all? A lot of the manuscript miniatures I have looked at don't show cavalry with a shield, though I think one does. If they used center grip shields, did they just hold the reins in the same hand? Should that give -2 to Ride and Shield (Buckler) skill (so -1 to Block)?

Yes, they did. Their shields had a guige so they can left the shield grip without losing the shield. I'm not sure about the right penalty to assign for having both the shield grip and the reins in the same hand and using them concurrently. It's likely they left the reins while actively using the shield or they left the shield hanging on side (see Ungainly, Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors, p. 19).
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote