Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #41
hal

Default Re: Ultra-Tech AI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
They are still being invented so we can't be sure. The learning abilities of neural networks are very useful in so many ways, I expect they will become a standard feature of many if not most general purpose systems. I am totally not biased in this expectation because I happen to be trying to make tiny, on-chip analog neural networks that learn 1000 times faster than digital myself.
So, when GURPS sets the price increase for a computer system as being x2 for Neural Net - that's largely for the price of the chips and such that go into the system?

Analog eh? I'm guessing you can't say much more than what you already have - but trying to envision an analog based chip instead of on/off binary (or digital) logic gates etc. THAT is definitely throwing my mind for a loop.

;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
AlexanderHowl

I have run across reports of people attempting to make base-10 logic circuits, the thinking being that the increased complexity of the components would be more than made up for requiring less circuits. For example, you need ten base-2 circuits to represent 999 while you would only need three base-10 circuits to represent 999. Of course, you would quickly run into incompatibilities with other computers, but it could be an idea for a secure computer system if there are no conversion programs.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #43
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
So, when GURPS sets the price increase for a computer system as being x2 for Neural Net - that's largely for the price of the chips and such that go into the system?

Analog eh? I'm guessing you can't say much more than what you already have - but trying to envision an analog based chip instead of on/off binary (or digital) logic gates etc. THAT is definitely throwing my mind for a loop.
The first applications for ICs were analog, but it not unusual to have both on the same chip, we call that "mixed signal". I'm hoping to make the analog neural network trainer a special component available to general computing applications, the way we have units for multiplying numbers separate from units for adding and subtracting them.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote