Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #41
CON_Troll

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

I remember when G.E.V. first came out. Hardly anyone tried to use HWZs or MHWZs in the "Breakthrough" defense line because they all "knew" that GEVs could easily rush them and blow them away even though they had 4x the GEVs gun range. And you only needed to kill one of them to open a big enough hole for the other GEVs to slip through.

Then Steve demonstrated what happened when you put a line of INF in front of the artillery...

Tactics.

Having said that, I really like the "Hold your fire" rule and want to experiment with it in-game.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #42
ColBosch

Heh. Who was it, again, who said "playtest the stupid ideas"?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #43
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Heh. Who was it, again, who said "playtest the stupid ideas"?
[golf clap] I say, well played sir.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #44
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
What is this Ogrezine of which you speak?
It is (will be) a digital magazine dedicated to Ogre. It was a Kickstarter last year, and through submissions by fans, it will be released in late March. Submitted articles are being posted on this site every two weeks (with breaks for holidays).

I am always looking for new material. If interested in writing these 'Hold Fire' rules up into an article, I would love to see it. Please review our Writer's Guidelines and then send your submission on to me at ogre@sjgames.com.

Drew
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #45
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
It is (will be) a digital magazine dedicated to Ogre. It was a Kickstarter last year, and through submissions by fans, it will be released in late March. Submitted articles are being posted on this site every two weeks (with breaks for holidays).

I am always looking for new material. If interested in writing these 'Hold Fire' rules up into an article, I would love to see it. Please review our Writer's Guidelines and then send your submission on to me at ogre@sjgames.com.

Drew
Deal. I’ll check out new guidelines and make a submission.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #46
ColBosch

Quote:
Argh. And double argh.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #47
TheAmishStig

Seems to me, the whole argument over real-world fire control systems and their relevance to Ogre hinges on one simple question:

Is "Clear" terrain in Ogre flat?

I would posit it doesn't have to be; by the terrain rules in GEV/ODE/etc, it only has to be just flat enough to not meaningfully impede movement the way a ridge or water would, just dry enough there's no meaningful risk of bogging down the way swamp would, and just clear enough of debris that there is no meaningful danger of crashing into something the way a forest or rubble would.

If there's one thing I learned from games like From the Depths (a cross between Minecraft and Starmada), it's that you don't have to jam your opponent's sensors or even take cover if you can out-track their turret. I nearly lost a battleship to a frigate that way...it was able to out-track my guns until it could get under them, and only by building a short-range missile system on the deck [while under fire] was I able to get out of it with FN-215 still floating.

OP, have you looked into the 'Camouflage' rules? House-ruling a tweak on that so that an exposed unit can return to 'hidden' status (say, after 1-2 turns of not moving / not firing / not being fired on), and/or one where hidden units can only be attacked from adjacent hexes (Size 5+) / must be overrun (Size 4-) could very well solve your problem without negating the reason GEVs exist in the first place [the ability to hit-and-run without risking counter-fire unless the opponent wants to run them down].

There's going to be a lot of edge cases and things to work out...like whether or not it's reasonable to allow an Ogre to hide at all [which is the Ninja's whole shtick, possibly conflicting with 'purity of purpose'], whether or not it's reasonable to allow immobile units [disabled Ogres, Howitzers, buildings, etc] to 'take cover', whether or not it's reasonable to allow 'saturation fire' (attack strength of say, 6+) to fire on the hex anyway as an 'anti-camper' measure, what to do if there are units stacking in the hex [hidden or visible] because of spillover fire, etc...but that seems to me to be a lot less damaging to the intricate rock-paper-scissor chains that make Ogre, Ogre, than something like allowing out-of-turn fire.

At that point the other player has a tactical decision to make: Is the area you're denying worth going through?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #48
Tim Kauffman

Quote:

I am always looking for new material.

Drew
2018 is going to be a great year to be a OGRE fan. :)

So, you are accepting submissions that have not been fully playtested? Is this only for rules or can new not fully playtested FanMade units also be submitted as being under the same category and eligible for being published in OGREzine? I think it would be a good idea because it would get the stuff out to others that may find it of interest even if not considered "officially" official. If anything such submissions would maybe inspire others to come up with stuff that would be considered official. Just a thought. Maybe we could have a spin-off publication..."Island Of Lost Units." heh

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 01-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #49
kentreuber

Try playing HellTank. It's the super tank game that Metagaming published after Ogre went to Steve Jackson. HellTank (and it's follow-on HellTank Destroyer) has both opportunity fire and evasive maneuvers. It also has other units such as air and naval forces.
kentreuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #50
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
So, you are accepting submissions that have not been fully playtested? Is this only for rules or can new not fully playtested FanMade units also be submitted as being under the same category and eligible for being published in OGREzine?
We will consider anything for Ogrezine as long as it pertains to the world of Ogre in some manner. This includes articles for any of the versions of the game: Ogre, G.E.V., Ogre Miniatures, Ogre Video Game, Objective 218, GURPS Ogre or even perhaps Battlesuit. The key is it needs to be interesting, well-written and ideally, deemed relevant to a notable faction of Ogre fans. The more obscure the article, the better it needs to be.

Playtesting is highly recommended for units, rules and scenarios. If using the rules in your theoretical article, I can break the game in a short period of time, I can guarantee it won't be accepted. (I'm getting pretty good at breaking things!) That's not to say that you couldn't take the feedback and try again, but it is helpful if you try to figure out how I might break the game with your rules before sending it to me, and thus figure out how to fix that issue, saving us both a lot of time and effort. Also, complexity for complexity's sake is generally a bad thing; the KISS* rule should dominate 9 times out of 10.

Again, check out the Writer's Guidelines. They are . . . well, you know . . . guidelines for submitting articles! I look forward to everyone's submissions!

D.

* Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote