Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Popov

Default No Move while Readying ?

I wonder why rules system designers have only put a step for the Ready maneuver. In fact, everybody is capable of running and drawing a blade, a gun or any item from his pocket without seeing his speed decrease. So why isn't it possible by the RAW ? To the book, you must slow down to 1 m/s to be able to take your blade, but what is the reason to force such an impossibility ? Even for openning a door (which is another option of Ready), I can, with enough synchronization, open a door while running (not sprinting, though) without lose much of my speed. How many cops have we seen running toward a cover while drawing his pistol ?

First, Fast-Draw isn't what I'm looking for. Fast-Draw enables to draw a weapon in less than a second. What I want is to be able to move the legs AND draw a weapon in a single second.

Second, drawing a weapon isn't much of a complicated move - the lack of dice roll proves it - and certainly less than an attack. And yet, it is possible to attack while moving (with a penalty, though), but not while readying. Strange.

I really think everyone, in particular fighters who are used to their weapons, should be able to Ready and take a full move. Maybe with a penalty to the Defenses because of the multi-tasking it imposes, but it isn't really difficult to operate something with your hand while your legs are moving (again, unless your legs or your arms do something very complicated, like attacking or running on a rocky ground)
Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: No Move while Readying ?

Ready also has a certain assumption that you're diverting your attention to pay attention to anyone that might attack you so you can defend.

I suppose "All-Out Ready" makes sense. Use a 1/2 move but take away defenses.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Exactly. Ready only allows a step, but it also allows the full range of active defenses . . . including defense with whatever it is you just readied. You're quite welcome to create a Move and Ready maneuver, for fighters who don't know Fast-Draw, that allows full Move but denies you the ability to defend with what you're readying and calls for a DX-2 roll to get the weapon out without tossing it. Or an All-Out Ready that denies you all defenses but means you automatically get your weapon whilst running at full Move.

That said, I fail to see why Fast-Draw is so bad. Everybody I've ever played GURPS with handles moving and drawing weapons as a Fast-Draw attempt during a Move maneuver. It seems the most logical choice.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Popov

Yes, I agree, and as a player, I always give Fast-Draw to fighters, because it's logic that such a character learnt to draw rapidly a blade when needed.

But the only point of this topic is wondering about anybody incapable of drawing normally his blade while moving. Because it isn't much of a difficult move and easily pass the reality check. And because Fast-Draw needs a test, and so is risky, although a slow motion is possible to draw a blade, to prevent any accident (but again, while moving). Moving is essential in a fight, and only being able to stay in the middle while taking the sword out of the sheath is dangerous.

Eventuelly, I must agree that to be able to defend at no penalty and with the very weapon you've just drawn, only a step should be allowed. But again, not all situations imply a need to defend, and less with the weapon drawn (think of the cop running for cover while drawing his gun) so such a maneuver is very useful. Thanks Kromm.
Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
AOTA

I've always played it as a character is moving and they want to fast draw a weapon as he is heading into combat. I want them to do a fast draw roll during this represent that something bad might happen while they were doing this. Like running and tripping while trying to draw their sword. If they don't have the fast draw skill they could use the default which may cause even more funny/painful things to happen if they fail.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA
I've always played it as a character is moving and they want to fast draw a weapon as he is heading into combat. I want them to do a fast draw roll during this represent that something bad might happen while they were doing this. Like running and tripping while trying to draw their sword. If they don't have the fast draw skill they could use the default which may cause even more funny/painful things to happen if they fail.
Isn't this an almost definitive technique for Iajutsu?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
warmachine

I like the concept of All-Out Ready. Imagine a scene with a Soldier PC and a CSI PC are staking out a high society party, expecting trouble. The trouble starts in the next room. The Soldier with Fast-Draw can burst in with pistol in hand. All-Out Ready is the answer to the CSI player's "Why can't I run and pull my pistol at the same time, just like in the movies?" The CSI player gets what he wants if he's prepared to risk no defence.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine
I like the concept of All-Out Ready. Imagine a scene with a Soldier PC and a CSI PC are staking out a high society party, expecting trouble. The trouble starts in the next room. The Soldier with Fast-Draw can burst in with pistol in hand. All-Out Ready is the answer to the CSI player's "Why can't I run and pull my pistol at the same time, just like in the movies?" The CSI player gets what he wants if he's prepared to risk no defence.
Actually, MA hints at an AoR manoeuvre in some section about Berserk, IIRC.

BTW, my players are always asking about replacing Attacks with Readies in general (esp. if the have Extra Attack). Yeah, I know we've been through this.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Ready only allows a step, but it also allows the full range of active defenses . . . including defense with whatever it is you just readied. You're quite welcome to create a Move and Ready maneuver, for fighters who don't know Fast-Draw, that allows full Move but denies you the ability to defend with what you're readying and calls for a DX-2 roll to get the weapon out without tossing it. Or an All-Out Ready that denies you all defenses but means you automatically get your weapon whilst running at full Move.
Oooh... I like that a lot, much simpler than what I had thought up!
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That said, I fail to see why Fast-Draw is so bad. Everybody I've ever played GURPS with handles moving and drawing weapons as a Fast-Draw attempt during a Move maneuver. It seems the most logical choice.
Well, the only problem are weapons that can't be Fast Drawn - axes/maces being the classic example, but flails aren't so hot either. A smaller point of problem is that there are no cross defaults, so even if you're a master of Fast Draw (Sword), you can't even try to fast-draw a shuriken or a gun.

For this, the Move-and-ready or the All-Out-Ready are very handy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-out ready, maneuvers, move and ready, ready