Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #31
Kalzazz

Default Re: Need a ruling on deflect

Well, still not terribly relevant . . it could always be cost on a giant spider silk cloth glove, which is armor, and by the book subject to the spell and emulate Michael Jackson and whatnot, and cover the entire body nicely as the book has been translated by Kromm now
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #32
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, yes, Im the evil, bad DM
Cool.

Quote:
who got confused by the rules
Pfft. A player had a different interpretation than you did (do?). You ruled as any GM should that your interpretation is the correct one for your game. Your player, in an attempt to get you to change your mind, went after the opinion/interpretation/ruling from Kromm. You appear to have let this change your mind.

I'm not seeing any confusion here. (I would argue that while Kromm is generally correct, that does not necessarily mean he is correct for your games. You, the GM, are the one who decides that.)

Quote:
Whats the point of having enchanted suits armor when you can instead for the same price have an enchanted ring or whatever that provides the benefit whatever your wearing?
Here I would note that what items an enchantment applies to varies by the level of GM permissiveness; in my last fantasy game, for Deflect, it was armor/shield/weapon or nothing. In a different fantasy game (even ran by me) the ruling may be different; all depending on what I feel is best for the game I am running. :)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #33
Godogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, yes, Im the evil, bad DM who got confused by the rules.
I didn't say you were evil or bad, just that we had a fight over it and I wanted it cleared up with a ruling on the issue.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #34
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
I didn't say you were evil or bad, just that we had a fight over it and I wanted it cleared up with a ruling on the issue.
I think a lot of players forget, the GM is the final arbiter of the game...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #35
Godogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
I think a lot of players forget, the GM is the final arbiter of the game...
I know who the final arbiter on the game is, that's why I did the *crosses fingers* thing earlier, I wanted a ruling on how the damn thing worked to clear it up period, then he could make an educated decision on how it worked in the game based on that.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
Sydney

Quote:
I know who the final arbiter on the game is, that's why I did the *crosses fingers* thing earlier, I wanted a ruling on how the damn thing worked to clear it up period, then he could make an educated decision on how it worked in the game based on that.
I figured as much. However, as a GM, if I had a player trying to get a ruling from the authors of the game because how I said (rightly or wrongly) something worked, I'd be a bit annoyed, in all honesty.

Of course, I'm not the GM for this game, which is probably a good thing.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #37
Godogma

So, you'd get annoyed when someone asked for a rules clarification not on a houserule but on RAW? Seems like a quick way to drive your blood pressure up and/or start a fight and lose your players because you either misunderstood or they misunderstood or whatever else.

Especially over a system as complex as GURPS where even the people who wrote and edited it say some things are confusing and could be redone better if they had more time before release etc.

If you're going to get pissy because something confuses someone, its probably a good thing you don't play with the group of players I do in real life - you'd spend a lot of time sitting by yourself or with ice packs.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #38
Sydney

Quote:
So, you'd get annoyed when someone asked for a rules clarification not on a houserule but on RAW? Seems like a quick way to drive your blood pressure up and/or start a fight and lose your players because you either misunderstood or they misunderstood or whatever else.

Especially over a system as complex as GURPS where even the people who wrote and edited it say some things are confusing and could be redone better if they had more time before release etc.

If you're going to get pissy because something confuses someone, its probably a good thing you don't play with the group of players I do in real life - you'd spend a lot of time sitting by yourself or with ice packs.
Not at all, I just see it as a breach of trust between Player and GM, without that, there's no point in gaming together then. And, since I have no shortage of players wanting to play in my games, I'm not too concerned about it. ;)
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #39
Godogma

So, they're supposed to "trust" you to know all the rules and how everything works when the book contradicts itself and is confusing roight... that logic is astounding.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #40
Sydney

Quote:
So, they're supposed to "trust" you to know all the rules and how everything works when the book contradicts itself and is confusing roight... that logic is astounding.
Not at all. They're supposed to "trust" that I do know what I'm doing and will ensure that they'll have a good time. If they go running seeking higher clarification on one rule because I didn't agree with their interpretation, then how do I know that they won't do it every time something doesn't go their way? It's really as simple as that.

Tags
fourth edition, gurps, magic, ruling