Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
MrPapillon

Default Question about Illusion, Time-Wrap and Munckin rules in general

Hi there !

I hope I'm not on the wrong place for these two questions, as I've searched and didn't find any satisfactory answers.

I'm french, and I play the game in French, so I'll apologise in advance if the munchkin-specific terms I use are wrong, but I think you will be able to understand me.

I have one first question regarding this particular situation ;

-> We played a game where someone used "Illusion" to try to swap away a huge monster for a weak one. Someone else played the card "Time-Wrap" (from Space Munchkin) to cancel Illusion, and henceforth started a big discussion whether that move was allowed or not. It was all around the argument that tries to define Illusion as a "Trap" (which we believe are the same as Curses in Space Munchkin ?), or as a "usable once only".

From what I found on the forum, Illusion is not to be considered a Curse, that's fine by me.

But is it considered as something "usable once only" ? I know some types of cards explicitly state "usable once only", but you could interpret the "Time-Wrap" description as targeting any card that is usable once only ? or not ?

In the end, we decided to allow the move, some people thinking of Illusion as a Curse card, some others as a "usable only once", and the target of Time-Wrap accepting but disagreeing.

All of this lead to my second question ;

Is there a strict definition of what cards are what types somewhere ? (is this card a Curse ? is this card an Item ? is this card a Potion ? Does this card have no type at all ? and so on ...).

I like to play by coherent and fair rules, meaning if definitions are clear-cut, you can then have a game that confronts the players on a battle of strategy and planning without fear of open-ended discussions that are clearly biased by the current state of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love heated discussions, and what would be Munchkin without them, but only because through them I can try to reach for coherence and fairness. I prefer to be sure that the winner won because of his game skills (and some luck of course) rather than being the one that best puts forth his subjective arguments (of course that's how I consider Munchkin should be played which is in itself very subjective).

And I think a clear-cut definition of what cards are what types could help me on that.

I think I've read somewhere that Munchkin should not be considered as a clear-cut rules game, so I could imagine such a definition could not exist but I'll try at least.

Thanks in advance and stay safe in these particular times !

Last edited by MrPapillon; 04-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.
MrPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Question about Illusion, Time-Wrap and Munckin rules in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPapillon View Post
-> We played a game where someone used "Illusion" to try to swap away a huge monster for a weak one. Someone else played the card "Time-Wrap" (from Space Munchkin) to cancel Illusion, and henceforth started a big discussion whether that move was allowed or not. It was all around the argument that tries to define Illusion as a "Trap" (which we believe are the same as Curses in Space Munchkin ?), or as a "usable once only".

From what I found on the forum, Illusion is not to be considered a Curse, that's fine by me.

But is it considered as something "usable once only" ? I know some types of cards explicitly state "usable once only", but you could interpret the "Time-Wrap" description as targeting any card that is usable once only ? or not ?
Time Warp specifically acts on Traps (which includes Curses and also Disasters [from Apocalypse]) and one-shot Items. Items are cards with Gold Piece values, and one-shots are the ones that specifically say "Usable once only." Illusion isn't an Item or a Curse/Trap, so it's not a valid target of Time Warp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPapillon View Post
Is there a strict definition of what cards are what types somewhere ? (is this card a Curse ? is this card an Item ? is this card a Potion ? Does this card have no type at all ? and so on ...).
We don't intentionally obfuscation card times -- in general, the rules for card types are meant to be pretty broad and clearly stated, so if you are asking whether a card has a certain type, check it against the rules for that type of card. If it doesn't match, the answer's no.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
MrPapillon

Thank you for your answer !

So, in the end, what is the Illusion card ? Does it have a specific card type (we couldn't define general "green" cards) ?
MrPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It has no specific type. It's just a Door.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote