Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
Und

Default Heart of the Anomaly - how to get and how to use

there were some posts in a "Mug The Shopkeeper?" thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Why, so you could make copies of the cards and use them instead of wandering from game shop to game shop, begging for munchkinly salvation at the hands of the guy behind the cash register?
Make a copy? I supposed this to be a breach of SJG policies to make a copies of cards and to play it instead of originals... Your advice looks like a cheat instead of masochistic searches for rare Heart of the Anomaly etc... Munchkinly :)

Being serious, if I print by myself the exact high-quality copy of "Heart of the Anomaly" card, will SJG pat me on the back and allow to play it for tournament or blame as a blatant cheater?

Quote:
Well, the Heart of the Anomaly card was given out at Linucon in 2004, and, I might be wrong in this case, printed by them with permission from SJG. It was mentioned many moons ago on the Daily Illuminator, I'm sure. At any rate, Wil Wheaton was a guest at this convention and the card has "special" abilities if signed by him. I say "special" since, as the card is written, it is weaker if signed, though I believe the intent was to increase the bonus as opposed to replace it.
Ok, imagime, I have the Heart, no matter how, no matter copy. (But someone can have the original - they read this thread carefully, too!) How to treat the rules of this card? I mean, does Gadgeteers get +4 or +6 bonus?

It's not clear on the card, and if you read LITERALLY Gadgeteers get only +4, and hypothetical Wil's signature would weaken the Heart... But isn't this a good case to Heart of the Anomaly's errata? If intention and common sense was to increase the power, should I read its rules literally or according to the main idea of super-duper-starry-card?

You're Munchkin Man, and your word makes official ruling. So, please, say a word on Heart of the Anomaly! :)

Thanks a lot!
Und is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Death

Default Re: Heart of the Anomaly - how to get and how to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und View Post
Being serious, if I print by myself the exact high-quality copy of "Heart of the Anomaly" card, will SJG pat me on the back and allow to play it for tournament or blame as a blatant cheater?
Since you don't have control of the deck that is played at the tournament and can't just add another card to the game during the game there is no chance that the card ends up being "in play". The only way would be to talk to the organizer and have the card added before the game and in that case the card can be drawn from the deck by any player so that is not cheating...
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Und

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
The only way would be to talk to the organizer and have the card added before the game and in that case the card can be drawn from the deck by any player so that is not cheating...
I guess this way, too. The point is in arguments. "Hey, I have a rare card here, let's add it to our tournament! - Where did you get it? - Printed by myself, but it's 100% authentic replica, and printing of rare cards is approved by SJG. - All right, Steve's (MunchkinMan's) will is a law."

But the ruling is more important. So, Who-Is-In-Charge, please explain on its bonuses' appliance.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
RL

I've also wondered about the bonuses on the Heart of the Anomaly card. I've come to the conclusion that Gadgeteers get a total of +7 for a signed card, but I can see the case for them only getting +5 instead.

The card gives these bonuses:
+2 Bonus
+4 for Gadgeteers
+1 if signed by Wil Wheaton
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot print up your own cards and use them in tournament play, even if those cards exactly duplicate ones that already exist.

As for the bonuses . . . the card was written by (IIRC) the Linucon staff, and doesn't quite follow the established format for Munchkin cards as a result. The intent of the card (and yes, this is an official clarification) is that it's worth +2 for non-Gadgeteers and +4 for Gadgeteers, and grants an additional +1 if Wil has signed it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Awwwww. I've always ruled that if it's signed, the whole card is only worth +1, only to deflate the ego of the one person I used to know who had it signed. . . ;-)

Also, Und, that's NOT my advice. My point was that we're not going to allow someone to post the image of a card so people can make their own copies. Never, ever, ever think for one iota of a moment that I was even remotely suggesting such a blatant theft of SJG's IP.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Und

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You cannot print up your own cards and use them in tournament play. As for the bonuses . . .
Quote:
Also, Und, that's NOT my advice. My point was that we're not going to allow someone to post the image of a card so people can make their own copies. Never, ever, ever think for one iota of a moment that I was even remotely suggesting such a blatant theft of SJG's IP.
Arrrgh, my English is not enough to get well the underlined, but other letters are more than clear, and Andrew has clarified the obvious rule: do not play with pirate staff.

Sorry for mess, guys, I now log out and go strait to the shredder.

But you better print a couple of dozens of these and sell for 50 bucks each - I bet the whole impression would be sold in a single day, and this would be a really happy day for fans.

I'm even ready to buy out the franchise for rares of Munchkin to make this business, but am aware of the reasons why SJG is not going so. A pity life :)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Death

Quote:
My point was that we're not going to allow someone to post the image of a card so people can make their own copies.
You realise how big the image is that can be found here: http://worldofmunchkin.com/cards/heartoftheanomaly/ ?

I made myself a HotA card by printing that out and taping the print out to a blank Star Munchkin card. (Just for personal use (where 'use' means: it's stacked in the box with all my Munchkin cards that only gets opened when I buy a new set and add those cards to my box... I really need to find people who are willing to play English games with me...))
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und View Post
But you better print a couple of dozens of these and sell for 50 bucks each - I bet the whole impression would be sold in a single day, and this would be a really happy day for fans.
As Andrew said, SJG did not design, create, or print this card. They have no right to print it or sell it. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anomaly, errata, heart, ruling, star promo