Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Advantage: Morality Compass

Morality Compass [?? points] is not a be-all end-all to the questions of right and wrong. That would be far too complicated and philosophical for a game over pretzels and pizza. It is simply an advantage that allows a player to be told truthfully by the GM if what he's doing will get him in major trouble--be it from the locals or from supernatural forces.

This is the RPG equivalent of some kind of red font letting the player know that they will be held accountable for an action (i.e. killing a peasant's chicken) or defended (attacking a raider camp).

Is this a good idea? Probably not for the most part. This advantage is mostly to avoid things getting too philosophically heavy in less-serious adventures. What do you think?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Advantage: Morality Compass

Sounds like Empathy to gauge deep feelings of those around them.
Also Common Sense as well as Philosophy skill to know what fits their motivations and ideals rather than just immediate desires.
It's amazing what you can convince yourself fits your morality when things hit the fan and under duress.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Common Sense (Only for moral issues, not issues of basic prudence, -50%), Reliable+8 (+40%) or more and No Nuissance Rolls (Common Sense). Total [10].
Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Common Sense (Only for moral issues, not issues of basic prudence, -50%), Reliable+8 (+40%) or more and No Nuissance Rolls (Common Sense). Total [10].
That's a solid advantage, but could it be cut down a bit? Maybe add "Vague" since it's accurate, but not terribly precise.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
That's a solid advantage, but could it be cut down a bit? Maybe add "Vague" since it's accurate, but not terribly precise.
Common Sense is already pretty vague by the description. It's suggested to manifest as the GM saying "Are you sure you want to go through with that?", this one would be more "You know that this is wrong." Or as this.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
whswhs

The Transcendental Philosophy discipline in Chapter 1 of Powers: The Weird does some of this.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The Transcendental Philosophy discipline in Chapter 1 of Powers: The Weird does some of this.
I keep learning that there are books for GURPS that I haven't even heard of. o-O
Old 07-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
I keep learning that there are books for GURPS that I haven't even heard of. o-O
Have you scanned down the list of GURPS books available as pdfs? That's recent GURPS books are showing up.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:14 AM   #9
Polydamas

It does not sound like this is about "this is wrong" as much as "there will be consequences."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sounds like Empathy to gauge deep feelings of those around them.
Also Common Sense as well as Philosophy skill to know what fits their motivations and ideals rather than just immediate desires.
It's amazing what you can convince yourself fits your morality when things hit the fan and under duress.
I would also allow rolls against a variety of mundane skills (like Law, Philosophy, Theology, or Political Science) to predict likely responses from one source ("thinking back to your time studying with the Jesuits, you realize that is a MORTAL SIN" or "in a town like this you are pretty sure you can shoot a hobo, no problem").

Like Common Sense, it seems fine in games where a player is impulsive or does not understand the setting as well as the GM expects them too. It sounds like a Limited form of Common Sense.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

I'd just have them take Common Sense.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advanatages, morality, morality compass