Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
UncleTupelo

Default Re: Discard/Gift Non-Items

Ooohhhkay- so there's potentially going to be a lot of cards circulating between players during the game - this makes a LOT more sense.

So, I was in a situation last night where I couldn't get off level one - I drew nothing but curses from the deck and i didn't really have anything helpful in my hand. What should've happened was other players should have fed me discards, which would have let me circulate those through my hand allowing me to discard non-helpful cards into the deck next time my charity phase rolled around?

I posted a question somewhere else yesterday about Cthulhu where I was a cultist, and stuck with two other class cards in my hand - I thought I couldn't get rid of those, but (again) the charity phase is the chance to cycle those cards out of your hand, yes?
UncleTupelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTupelo View Post
Ooohhhkay- so there's potentially going to be a lot of cards circulating between players during the game - this makes a LOT more sense.

So, I was in a situation last night where I couldn't get off level one - I drew nothing but curses from the deck and i didn't really have anything helpful in my hand. What should've happened was other players should have fed me discards, which would have let me circulate those through my hand allowing me to discard non-helpful cards into the deck next time my charity phase rolled around?
You discard cards to the discard pile, not the deck. Apart from that, you seem correct. Also, if you're seeing curses when Kicking Open the Door, you'll be getting another Door card into your hand each turn when you Loot the Room. This will give you curses you could play on other players, Classes you could put into play, monsters that you can either Look for Trouble against or use as Wandering Monsters against other players and so on. It shouldn't take too long to get something helpful.

Quote:
I posted a question somewhere else yesterday about Cthulhu where I was a cultist, and stuck with two other class cards in my hand - I thought I couldn't get rid of those, but (again) the charity phase is the chance to cycle those cards out of your hand, yes?
Yes. Once you have more than 5 cards, those will likely be the best choice for you to give away or discard via the Charity rules.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Dunster66

You mention

[/QUOTE] If I pick up a Monster card while Looting the Room, and again I only have 4 cards in my hand, can I discard it instead of keeping it?[/QUOTE]

You only draw loot from the treasure pile don't you? That means you would not ever draw a monster card (other than for your first phase)?

My understanding is that the only monsters in play for the purpose of "Looking for trouble" are the ones in your hand from the initial deal. I'm I correct in that?

Sorry...a bit off topic from the original question.
Dunster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Under standard rules, you draw a face-down Door card when you Loot The Room.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
Clipper

And if you are using the Fast Play rules, so that you are drawing a Treasure instead of a Door when Looting the Room, then you are getting at least one Door card directly into your hand during the Listening at the Door phase instead.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunster66 View Post
My understanding is that the only monsters in play for the purpose of "Looking for trouble" are the ones in your hand from the initial deal. I'm I correct in that?
You can get Monster cards in your hand from your initial "deal," through the Looting the Room phase, and through Charity. I would suggest re-reading the turn phases section of the rules, where looting the room is described.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
And if you are using the Fast Play rules, so that you are drawing a Treasure instead of a Door when Looting the Room, then you are getting at least one Door card directly into your hand during the Listening at the Door phase instead.
I assumed they weren't using those rules, being brand-new players. This is the 101 forum -- we need not and SHOULD not cover every possible permutation of rules. Let's help them get the basic rules down first, and then cover the edge cases later.

Also: please don't call those the "Fast Play" rules. We gave it a specific name so we could be very clear about what rule is being discussed. If you mean Listening at the Door, call it that. I can't stress enough how important consistent terminology is for new players.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Dunster66

Sorry folks...I misread the rules about looting the room...drawing door cards, not treasure cards. I just intuitively connected "looting" with "treasure". Having played a game the proper way I see it flows much better now!! Thanks for the input.
I'll read and re-read the rules before I post any other questions :)
Dunster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I assumed they weren't using those rules, being brand-new players. This is the 101 forum -- we need not and SHOULD not cover every possible permutation of rules. Let's help them get the basic rules down first, and then cover the edge cases later.
Sorry. I'll keep this in mind in future.

Quote:
Also: please don't call those the "Fast Play" rules. We gave it a specific name so we could be very clear about what rule is being discussed. If you mean Listening at the Door, call it that. I can't stress enough how important consistent terminology is for new players.
Sorry again. I have used that phrase as the title of the section where they are discussed is "Faster Play Rules." I always thought that was the official name due to that, but thank you for correcting my mistake.