Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Draconius

Default 2300AD Conversion

Guys,

I used to run 2300AD, a hard sci-fi game by (now defunct) GDW. I plan on converting the system's mechanics into GURPS. I figure I will need (in addition to the Basic Set) GURPS Space, Spaceships, and Ultra-Tech.

Any other's you would recommend?
Draconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: 2300AD Conversion

I'm not familiar with the setting, but Bio-Tech can be pretty good. If gengineering is present than certainly it's appropriate, but it can also be useful for medical technology in general.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Draconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS
I'm not familiar with the setting, but Bio-Tech can be pretty good. If gengineering is present than certainly it's appropriate, but it can also be useful for medical technology in general.
Not too much, no. GDW did a couple of supplements for a more cyberpunk feel, but I felt those supplements were totally out of character for the game's theme.

2300AD is set 300 years after Twilight: 2000. Humans have ventured into space, and have run into a warrior race known as the Kafers (very similar to a Klingon, but more alien). Earth is dominated by the 3rd French Empire, and other nations are in direct competition for planetary resources.

The Kafer threat brought humanity together in a loose alliance for their own survival.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Woodman

You can probably get by without Space, because your setting allready exists, a lot of the stuff in Space is to help you design a new setting. And then maybe take a look at Hightech too, afaik a lot of the tech in 2300AD isnt that much advanced from out current developments so it might offer good base ideas for creating specific goddies from the relative generic gear in Ultratech.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Space is useful if you want to generate new star systems and randomly generate critters.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
tshiggins

Actually, if you want to stick with the 2300 AD setting as originally designed, you can use Biotech for pentapod products. The pentapods use biological engineering for most of their technology, including goods they trade with humanity.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Draconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
Actually, if you want to stick with the 2300 AD setting as originally designed, you can use Biotech for pentapod products. The pentapods use biological engineering for most of their technology, including goods they trade with humanity.
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about them! I'm sure I will end up picking up all of the tech books eventually.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
Tzeentch

The 2320AD update is also useful since it "soft reboots" the universe and presents a much more up-to-date setting as far as technology (supercavitation, genetic engineering, computer, etc.). Although it's not well organized, it also has most of the universe information crammed into a single book so you're not trying to wrap your head around the vaguely contradictory 2300AD books or crying from trying to reverse engineer Star Cruiser's material into GURPS terms :)
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconius
Guys,

I used to run 2300AD, a hard sci-fi game by (now defunct) GDW. I plan on converting the system's mechanics into GURPS. I figure I will need (in addition to the Basic Set) GURPS Space, Spaceships, and Ultra-Tech.

Any other's you would recommend?
Good to see you over here Draconius. I'd say the Basic Set, Ultratech, and Spaceships only if you want Spaceship Combat. Otherwise just kind of wing the stats for the vehicles from the original setting. Like others have said, Space is less useful if you already have a setting hashed out.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
macphersonrants

Keep us posted on your progress. 2300AD is a great setting and I would love to see some discussion on the board about how it might convert to GURPS.