Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #31
Astromancer

Default Re: Blending Star Trek and the World of Darkness (classic)

As of this time the following groups are present in this setting, though many of them aren't prominent.

Mages
Cainite Vampires
Changelings & Gallain
Wraiths
Garou & Fera

The five main splats.

Imbued Hunters
Cathyan Vampires
Mummies
Demons ala Demon the Demon the Fallen
Sin-Eaters (replacing the Wraith human hybrids from Orpheus)

Regular Hunters
Sorcerers
Psychics
Kinaine (Fea blooded Mortals)
Kin-Folk (humans related to the Garou or the Fera)
Ghouls
Risen
The Romi (though as a people who in cannon are more exposed to the supernatural against their will, not like WoD Gypsies)
Dampires (the children of Cathyan Vampires)
Revenants (Those Ghoul Families that are hereditary Ghouls)

This list might get revised. Most of these folks are marginal in the extreme.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
Astromancer

The Tech Level of this setting is either, whatever they say in Prime Directive or Tech Level Ten with enough supertech to cover FTL drives, replicators, transporters, and any other really important tech that isn't covered by TL10, like Phasers and Deflector screens.

If you have Prime Directive, that's better. If not, and you have Transhuman Space, use that and modify as stated.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #33
dataweaver

GURPS Prime Directive doesn't use the same TL scale as GURPS 4e.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:49 AM   #34
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
GURPS Prime Directive doesn't use the same TL scale as GURPS 4e.
I thought so, but my copy is in storage. I actually prefer the second option (tech level ten with supertechnology) but I felt that Star Trek buffs would prefer to use Prime Directive.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Star Trek is full of technological tricks around defenses and against weapons. They almost qualify if not for full TLs then incremental tenths that matter significantly, IMO.
A change from the books, but I think it kind of fits the source better than trying to wedge everything into just two or three levels.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #36
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Star Trek is full of technological tricks around defenses and against weapons. They almost qualify if not for full TLs then incremental tenths that matter significantly, IMO.
A change from the books, but I think it kind of fits the source better than trying to wedge everything into just two or three levels.
Then it's even more chose the one that feels right to you.

I prefer the Tech level ten plus supertech as an easy handwave. But as Prime Directive has its fans, it would be rude not to offer it.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #37
Astromancer

It's part of the WoD setting that Mages had Horizon Realms. These were Pocket universes varying in size from that of a large room to a small continent. One Horizon Realm shared by Dreamspeakers and Akashayana Sangha had a hybrid Inca-Tibetan culture.

Many, probably most, of these Horizon realms, are now parts of planets scatters throughout known space. As most of these pocket worlds were fairly primitive technologically most aren't federation members. Certain dead realms and Kingdoms of the Dreaming are also now planets in distant space. Most of the Technocratic Horizon realms are in Romulan space.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Star Trek certainly has more than its share of single planet wide regions breaking physical laws. Atmospheres/radiation fields that disallow transporters, energy weapons, and nearly anything else normally possible in the universe.

So event the weirdest horizon realm would fit as some strange out of the way planet.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #39
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Star Trek certainly has more than its share of single planet wide regions breaking physical laws. Atmospheres/radiation fields that disallow transporters, energy weapons, and nearly anything else normally possible in the universe.

So event the weirdest horizon realm would fit as some strange out of the way planet.
Then we are in agreement. And I think it fits many places in the Dreaming, the Umbra, and the Deadlands, as well.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #40
Astromancer

Notes on Changelings.

First, although in the 20th anniversary edition, both the Autumn Shide and the Arcadian Sidhe both get the Awe and Beauty birthright, in this setting the Autumn Sidhe get not a Plus two to Appearance, but a plus one to both Appearance and Charisma. This represents their closer connection to the Autumn world and the more unearthly qualities of the Arcadian Sidhe.

Second all Changelings have their "Chimerical" Appearance all the time. Satyrs are seen as having goat hooves and horns, Trolls are seen to be blue, Sidhe are seen to have pointed ears (which the Vulcans like a lot), etc. If a Changeling has the wings Merit, their wings are visible and can touch or be touched by the world around the PCs.

Third, although their frailties are unchanged, the Birthrights of the various Kiths are effected as if in the Far Dreaming. That is to say the power, scope, and flexiblity of these Birthrights are seriously increased. Trolls get twice the strength bonus, Pookas can alter the size of animal they turn into (human sized cats or rabbits, kitten sized Lions, dog sized Elephants), etc.

Fourth, Changeling are regarded as Aliens. Odd Aliens, but not really different than Vulcans or Andorans.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 10-17-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Tags
navy, star trek, world of darkness