Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #691
Herps4Me

Default Re: Member House Rules

We play with the Listen at the Door variants. Because we get so many cards throughout the game, we usually end up as powerful characters at Level 9. We also play fairly friendly, so we save up cards until Level 9, and stay at 9 a while.

Because this ends up with full hands (as in the hand of 5 cards) and we hate to do Charity, we invented a rule that you can trade 2 Curses, 2 GUALs, or 1 each for 1 card from either deck. This gets rid of useless cards for us, as we don't usually Curse at the beginning or usually GUAL at the end, as well as give us more variety of cards, usually treasures.

We also play the rule where you can use the Loaded Die as a Reloaded Die and vice versa.

And, we play where we can trade any type of card, including Door cards in the hand. "Yeah, I'll trade my Gnome for your Dwarf, but you'll have to throw in the Gnomex suit. Sure, I'll add a Sneaky Bastard Sword too."

On the topic of massive decks, we prefer to work on decks that work well together and have similar types of cards.

One deck is Pathfinder and Original (Or Legends). This deck has a lot of Classes, as most decks will, and some Races or Factions. We tend to like three of these types of cards. Plus, they have a lot of Undead and we will be adding the Undead and Dragons boosters to the mix for lots of Undead, Goblins, and Dragons.

Another deck will by Booty and Star. I haven't played much of Star yet, but I understand that it has Classes and Races. So, the same system with lots of Classes, and some Races and Accents. These also have a system with many Ships as I have copies of Fish and Ships and Space Ships.

I'm also considering Apocalypse and Cthulhu for the end of world theme as well as the multiple ways to end the game.

So this isn't necessarily a separate house rule, but we have the rule that we don't mix many sets because we like the balance we have.
Booty+B2+FnS
Other:
FD, Mnomicon, M6, TT, EE, Holiday
Herps4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #692
NightShiftLoser

Default Re: Munchkin Oz!

We're considering adding a House Rule, concerning some Allies and Items. For instance, if Nick Chopper has the Woodman's Axe, +1. Same for Dorothy and the Parasol, or Toto and the Picnic Basket.
NightShiftLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #693
Dealmaker777

Default Munchkin Oz Combinations

I played Munchkin Oz with some buddies last weekend. We loved it, but wanted see some combinations effects. I'll probably make some house rules regarding these, but would love to see some official rule revisions.

The Tinman - Oil can. Removes rusting problems.
The Lion - Courage. Changes his nature.
The Scarecrow - Brains. Changes his nature.
The Tinman - Heart. Changes his nature.

Have you at SJG given any thought to this?
Dealmaker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #694
NightShiftLoser

Default Re: Munchkin Oz Combinations

We have a House Rule when we play that certain items get a +1 if they're held by certain allies.

i.e.:
Nick Chopper - Woodman's Axe
Dorothy Gale - Picnic Basket
NightShiftLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #695
TheBiff

After playing Steampunk a few times myself and my group found that there was extremely limited interaction between gear items/monsters, so when we play we now use the Hong Kong rule from Fu. Gear monsters can join other gear monsters in combat and gear items can be used to help gear monsters in combat.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #696
ThisisDog

Just realized how <wrong> it is to have Accent in the Class category when common sense dictates it should be Race. So Bi-Lingual is in with the Half-Breed pot too now. Speaking of Half-Breeds, I'm gonna make 15 or so more Half-Breed cards to balance things out, as Super Munchkin and it's equivalents are far more common throughout all the sets.

Decided to keep Powers seperate too. I've had my first experience with them after playing Axe Cop for the first time, and the mechanics are so different from Classes and their equivalents. Having recently got Pathfinder too, I've realised that Factions are pretty much that set's Races, but I'm still keeping them as an extension of Classes in my blender game.

So far, my Blender is working really well.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 09-21-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Removed an offensive term.
ThisisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #697
Rohml

We've recently implemented this house rule:

If five or more monster are successfully evaded (Run Away). The game ends. Everyone loses. **

===

The idea is that, the Munchkin kicks down the door and sees the monster. Overestimates his/her ability (and friendship) and has to run away from the monster.

- If he fails running away, the monster beats him up. The monster is satisfied.
- If he successfully runs away, he leaves the monster in the room and the door open. Angry, the monster finds the open door (if not open, the monster breaks it down) and ventures out, eventually getting out of the dungeon and into the town and wrecks havoc.

If the town is assaulted by five or more monsters the townspeople gets fed up and finds the "heroes", drags them out of the dungeon and kicks them out of town. The Munchkins turns out not to be effective adventurers and the game ends with everyone hanging their head in shame (the player can count points to see who is the LEAST LOSERY among themselves).

====

I've based it in Munchkin Apocalypse's seal cards, I find it funny if the town gets fed up by the antics of the Munchkins and just decides to kick them out.
Rohml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #698
Maquiscat

I scanned a few pages, (hey 69 as this posting), and didn't notice anyone else doing this. But like I said, it was only a few pages

Our house rule is that bargaining can be done not only with the monsters' treasures, but also their levels. So if someone get a monster with 5 treasures and 2 levels, the player might say, "I'll give 2 treasures and a level if you help me."
Maquiscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #699
ThisisDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquiscat View Post
I scanned a few pages, (hey 69 as this posting), and didn't notice anyone else doing this. But like I said, it was only a few pages

Our house rule is that bargaining can be done not only with the monsters' treasures, but also their levels. So if someone get a monster with 5 treasures and 2 levels, the player might say, "I'll give 2 treasures and a level if you help me."
Oh yeah, we do that too. I thought that was normal.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #700
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisDog View Post
Oh yeah, we do that too. I thought that was normal.
Since the rules specifically state that you can't do it, it can't be normal. It has to be an aberrant practice, which we politely call a house rule.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice