Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #101
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durick View Post
I ran some sample combats for a chanbara campaign I'm planning on running, and dismemberment featured heavily. This got me thinking about what the group's RPM caster would have to do if it happened to the PCs. I came up with three rituals that I'd appreciate feedback on. One of things I was waffling on was whether I'd need a duration on Restore Limb (which would probably push the cost close to the regrowth ritual since it would need to be a duration of a lifetime...). Also, the last one seemed really expensive, but given what it's doing it probably should be. Thanks in advance!
That's good thinking there! Keeping all the PCs involved as much as possible is a good thing to do when your the GM. :-)

Quote:
I don't know what I think about not requiring the altered traits portion of it. Is the reason because it seems too expensive otherwise?
Quote:
Restore Limb
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Weight, Altered Traits Restore One Arm or One Leg,
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Restore a severed arm or leg. The limb in question must still be present, mostly intact, and recently lost. Replacing a limb that does not fit these criteria would require the rituals below.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Restore One Arm or Restore One Leg (20). 81 energy (27 x 3)
I'm not sure what "Restore One Arm or Restore One Leg" is as a advantage, as Kalzazz pointed out - I'd do it differently. This is what I do in my campaigns and it works out just fine. Remember, Altered Traits are typically used when the caster is augmenting someone with a ability that is not under his control. Let's say that you're healing someone who's been knocked down 7 HP in a TL8 world, you could cast Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 2d (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3), for 11 energy. Or you could cast Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Regular) (25) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3), for 111 energy. That's over 10 times the cost for doing about the same thing. Now, higher levels do get you more bang for you buck. That's why in my post I said I saw no reason why you couldn't heal a limb by simply having one Greater effect to bring it back or seal it to the stump or whatever and another to simply heal it back to full HP. It makes sense and fits with how HP is restored as well. Now, when you would need regrowth is if you have time to heal up and you've got a lot of missing limbs or you plan on visiting the Bog of Acidic Moss or what not. Being able to regrow lost limbs "on the fly" like that would be darn useful.

Quote:
Regrowth
Inherent Modifiers: Weight, Altered Traits Regrowth, Duration
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Causes the subject to regrow limbs for a duration long enough to regrow a leg (~9 months).

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Regrow (40) + Duration, 9 months (19). 198 energy (66 x 3)
This is one way, but again you could do it cheaper (as I've pointed out). It also runs the risk of you encountering another caster and them dispelling it midway or you using another Restore Body effect and killing it that way.

Quote:
Speedy Regrowth
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body + Greater Strengthen Body
Inherent Modifiers: Weight + Altered Traits, Regrowth + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Slow) + Duration (1 week)
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

As regrowth, but much quicker. Limbs grow back in a week, not months.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Regrowth (40) + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Slow) (25) + Duration, 1 week (9). 420 energy (84 x 5)
You don't need two different effects here, just one. Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Regrowth and Regeneration (Slow) (50). Remember, you can bundle Altered Traits that thematically make sense. So the new cost of this would be 198 energy.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #102
Kalzazz

Though, if you wanted there to be a duration, and you wanted it to be slow to occur, you could probably do it as a straight up 'Greater Restore Body, 1 mon duration, 300lbs'

Over the duration of 1 month the healing part will be supplied by the body itself, so you only need the 'and the limb is fixed' Greater Effect

This allows you to have 'You got your limb chopped off, it is really annoying and takes a while to get better', prevents them from having another Greater Restore body on them during the same time period, and is generally a nuisance! And it should be cheaper!

And is about half the cost of Instant Regeneration, so, keeps the balance that exists in Magic between Instant and Not So Instant Regeneration

Regeneration of the Slug - Grows a limb back, slowly, in a month.

This Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 54 energy (18×3).
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #103
Durick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'm not sure what "Restore One Arm or Restore One Leg" is as a advantage
This was my poor nomenclature for buying off the One Arm or One Leg (depending on which was lost) disadvantage that the dismemberment caused. I thought this would be required per this section of Th:RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th:RPM Page 17
[A spell] that adds or improves advantages, reduces or removes disadvantages, or increases attributes or characteristics adds +1 energy for every 1 character point added
Your regeneration vs. healing explanation and blog post (thanks for the link Kalzazz) make it pretty clear, I think. If you can do something in a roundabout way with an Altered Trait or directly with a spell effect... choose the spell effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It also runs the risk of you encountering another caster and them dispelling it midway or you using another Restore Body effect and killing it that way.
The idea of this made me laugh as I hadn't considered it. Would kinda be worth the looks on my friends' faces when an opposing mage pops out of the bushes and halts the leg regeneration at mid-calf (guess what you get to cast again!). However, I'm also trying to sell them on this magic system and GURPS in general, so I probably won't be doing that.

Thanks for the feedback, this is my first post of substance on this forum (been lurking for a while) and this was just as helpful as I've read for others time and time again.
Durick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #104
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
This was my poor nomenclature for buying off the One Arm or One Leg (depending on which was lost) disadvantage that the dismemberment caused. I thought this would be required per this section of Th:RPM
Ah-ha! Yes, that's another addendum - if someone has lost a leg permanently (i.e., they have it as a disadvantage) then you use that to restore them. It's up to the GM if he wants to charge character points for the miraculous healing.

Quote:
Your regeneration vs. healing explanation and blog post (thanks for the link Kalzazz) make it pretty clear, I think. If you can do something in a roundabout way with an Altered Trait or directly with a spell effect... choose the spell effect.
You got it. :-D

Quote:
The idea of this made me laugh as I hadn't considered it. Would kinda be worth the looks on my friends' faces when an opposing mage pops out of the bushes and halts the leg regeneration at mid-calf (guess what you get to cast again!). However, I'm also trying to sell them on this magic system and GURPS in general, so I probably won't be doing that.
No, don't be too mean. But remember, them using magic means they get to encounter hostile mages, anti-magic zones, etc. some time. If you are too lenient they'll start using magic to fix every problem...sort of like the guy with the only tool in his tool box being a hammer seeing every issue as a nail.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, this is my first post of substance on this forum (been lurking for a while) and this was just as helpful as I've read for others time and time again.
Glad I could help!

Become a Patron!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #105
Vilobion

One of my upcoming players wanted to play an Alchemist using RPM who could make a paste that allowed for the reattachment of limbs, which I modeled using Injury Tolerance: Independent Limbs (Reattachment Only, -50%) [18].

So:
Reattach Limb
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Injury Tolerance
Greater Effects: 1

This spell/ointment allows you to take a severed limb and apply it to the stump to reattach it. This process takes a minute.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Injury Tolerance: Independent Limbs (Reattachment Only) (18) + Subject Weight, 300 LBS (3). 75 energy (25x3)

I decided against bumping up the duration because allowing it to last a minute for this one effect is more reasonable than letting it last 10 minutes, possibly allowing for multiple limbs to be reattached per spell/potion.

They'll probably want to follow up with additional healing and this won't help if the werewolf eats your arm or something else destroys it entirely.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #106
Christopher R. Rice

That's actually not a bad method either, I probably wouldn't use it for my own campaigns - but still not bad.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #107
nick_coffin

IDHMBWM - if I wanted to model my "Walking Possession Agreement" ritual as being based on "Altered Trait: Possession (Affects Others)" - how much would that "Affects Others" be worth as a modifier?

I.e., this ritual reverses the Possession advantage - it allows the subject to invite another mind to possess his body.

Last edited by nick_coffin; 08-27-2014 at 07:30 AM.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #108
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
IDHMBWM - if I wanted to model my "Walking Possession Agreement" ritual as being based on "Altered Trait: Possession (Affects Others)" - how much would that "Affects Others" be worth as a modifier?

I.e., this ritual reverses the Possession advantage - it allows the subject to invite another mind to possess his body.
If you can only Affect Others I believe it's +0% per GURPS Powers.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #109
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post

Why not give them Channeling instead then?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #110
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Why not give them Channeling instead then?
Because this is full-blown possession, not just communication with the dead. The idea comes from an adventure I'm writing for a convention - the PCs are paired with an "aide-de-camp" who carries a charm with Walking Possession Agreement on it. If the PC dies, the aide-de-camp breaks the charm, and the PC's mind will possess the aide's body allowing the PC to continue the adventure in the other person's body.

It allows me to kill off PCs with more or less impunity, without wrecking the adventure. ;-)

Here's the current writeup of this ritual:

Quote:
Walking Possession Agreement
Spell Effects: Greater Control Mind + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Possession (No Memory Access, -10%; Affects Others Only +0%; Usable Once Only ×¹⁄₅).
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Upon casting this ritual, the subject may sense a nearby mind/spirit and places that mind into the subject’s body, effectively allowing the target’s mind to possess the subject. The effects are the same as for the advantage Possession (p. 75) with the No Memory Access limitation, further limited by the duration.

An unwilling target gets a resistance roll to prevent the effects.

If cast on a living target, the target’s mind is returned to its original body at the termination of the ritual’s duration. If the target’s body has ceased to function before the duration of the ritual, the target’s mind will transition to the afterlife - the ritual does not create undead or resurrect the target. The target's mind is not damaged by the termination of its original body (other than by the knowledge that his original body has perished, if the target is aware of that fact).

This ritual is retroactive if cast within 6 seconds of the moment of death of the target, as in this setting, a person’s mind/soul remains in the material realm that long. No resistance roll is necessary for this use.

When used in this way, it is typically cast as a charm carried by someone willing to be possessed by the target due to the short time period available and high energy cost of the ritual. At the end of the duration, the possessed regains control of his body and the target's mind and soul are freed to continue its journey to the afterlife.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Altered Trait, Possession (No Memory Access, -10%; Affects Others Only +0%; Usable Once Only ×¹⁄₅) (18) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 5 yds (2). 84 energy (28×3).

For the purposes of my game:
Charm of Walking Possession Agreement: Greater Control Mind (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Altered Trait, Possession (No Memory Access, -10%; Affects Others Only +0%; Usable Once Only ×¹⁄₅) (18) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Range, 5 yds (2). 114 energy (38×3).

Last edited by nick_coffin; 08-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology