Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Star Trek Andorian Racial Template

Submitted for the forums approval. If I've overlooked something or got something wrong, please let me know. The format is basically how I'm going to present it to my players. I though about having a basic Andorian template with lens for the different sexes; maybe I should have done that?

ANDORIAN [18 pts]

Andorians are a militaristic race....and military rank greatly influenced social reputation. Deploring dishonesty -- and never fighting without reason -- Andorians are nonetheless capable of duplicity. They considered themselves deeply emotional, passionate, even violent; not known for their charity or sympathy, they placed a high value on family. -- Andorian - Memory Alpha

Most Andorians are blue-skinned with white or silver hair. They have two antennae which augment hearing (and balance). They tend to be taller and slimmer than humans and the thaan have a limited exoskeleton. Andorians have four sexes: thaan, chan (“males”), shen, and zhen (“females”). Redundant circulatory systems and a high metabolism allows Andorians to function in a wide range of environmental conditions, but it also makes them more susceptible to metabolic hazards and fatigue from physical exertion.

SOCIAL BACKGROUND
0 Cultural Familiarity (Andorian)
1 Cultural Familiarity (Federation)
0 Language (Andorian--native)
4 Language (English--accented)
5 TOTAL
The above assumes you are a productive member of Federation society.

ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS
10 ST 11 (Thaan only)
-10 ST 9 (Shen only)
-20 ST 8 (Zhen only)
10 Thaan TOTAL : 0 Chan TOTAL : -10 Shen TOTAL : -20 Zhen TOTAL

SECONDARY CHARACTERISTIC MODIFIERS
0 TOTAL

ADVANTAGES
9/17/19/19 Antennae (Thaan/Chan/Shen/Zhen):
.....Parabolic Hearing 2 [8 pts] (chan only)
.....Subsonic Hearing [5 pts]
.....Ultra Hearing [5 pts]
.....Vibration Sense [10 pts] (shen and zhen only)
.....Vulnerability (Antennae, -8 to target (miss by 1 hits skull), shock x2, knockdown -5) [-1 pts]
7 Damage Resistance 2 (5/lvl; mostly cutting, crushing, slight chance otherwise -30%; [3.5/lvl]) (thaan only)
1 Payload [1 pt] (zhen only)
10 Temperature Tolerance 10 (“centered” on 35.5°, results in -2° - 153°F for a HT 10 character)
Appropriate (point cost not counted in total):
5/lvl Talent (Gifted Artist: Artist, Jeweler, Leatherworking, Photography, Sewing)
26 Thaan TOTAL : 27 Chan TOTAL : 29 Shen TOTAL : 30 Zhen TOTAL

DISADVANTAGES
-5 Unfit (for Starfleet officers, this -5 points cancels out Fit from the SFA Template)
Choose -10 points from among:
-10† Bad Temper -- †: Bad Temper (12) -10 points, Bad Temper (15) -5 points
-5 Callous
-10 Code of Honor (Soldiers) (includes the Ushaan)
-10 Paranoia (not allowed for Starfleet personnel, but a quirk level Paranoia would be appropriate)
-5 Sense of Duty (Family)
-15 TOTAL
As this is a racial template, these disadvantages do not count against your -25 disadvantage point total. [B11]

SKILLS
Choose 1 from among:
1 Connoisseur (Music)
1 Knife (Ushaan-tor, treat as a Knife-Wheel [LT58])
1 TOTAL

FEATURES
-2° - 153°F comfort zone (21° higher than humans, they prefer a temperature of 45°F, Andor average: 32°F).
Zorski Interspecies Group III-b (high concentration of cobalt their hemoglobin).
When figuring Height use the row 2 ST level higher on the build table [B18].
Intravenous injections impossible; all injections must be intramuscular.
Soft (whispering) deliberate voices.

Point Summary
5 Social Background
10/0/-10/-20 Attributes/Secondary Characteristics (Thaan/Chan/Shen/Zhen)
26/27/29/30 Ads/Perks (Thaan/Chan/Shen/Zhen)
-15 Disads/Quirks
1 Skills/Techniques
27 Thaan TOTAL : 18 Chan TOTAL : 10 Shen TOTAL : 1 Zhen TOTAL
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Star Trek Andorian Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
0 Language (Andorian--native)
4 Language (English--accented)
Do people in Star Trek actually bother to learn other languages (except inexplicably Klingon) since the Universal Translator is apparently ubiquitous and unfailing?
Quote:
-5 Unfit
A militant race with racial unfit?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Do people in Star Trek actually bother to learn other languages (except inexplicably Klingon) since the Universal Translator is apparently ubiquitous and unfailing?

A militant race with racial unfit?
Unfit compared to humans, not to average citizens of their species.
As has been posted numerous times, humans are hard core endurance animals.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unfit compared to humans, not to average citizens of their species.
As has been posted numerous times, humans are hard core endurance animals.
Sure, but most Star Trek races are too (as they are just funny looking humans anyway). Is there some thing in Enterprise that supports this (I couldn't watch the show after the middle of the first season :( )?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Sure, but most Star Trek races are too (as they are just funny looking humans anyway). Is there some thing in Enterprise that supports this (I couldn't watch the show after the middle of the first season :( )?
If all he wants is human with bumps on noses, then no stat differences are required. I assumed at least an internally consistent more plausible Star Trek. Maybe my mistake.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I assumed at least an internally consistent more plausible Star Trek.
I'm sure that's the case. I'm asking: where does that comes from? Or do you think all non-humans/non-Vulcans should automatically have Unfit, always?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'm sure that's the case. I'm asking: where does that comes from? Or do you think all non-humans/non-Vulcans should automatically have Unfit, always?
Maybe, maybe not. If I were to make templates, I might just so humans have something. Too many Sci Fis make everyone better in every feature than humans, yet have humans a major mover and shaker in the universe.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Captain Joy

Quote:
It is canon that Andorians tire more easily than humans and are susceptible to "pulse phase infection". I'd thought about reducing FP and using the Susceptible disadvantage to model this, but ultimately decided Unfit foot the bill nicely.

Regarding making them learn English. This campaign is TOS era, so people don't walk around with easy access to universal translators.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
borithan

Where are they said to tire easily? I don't remember that (not accusing of getting it wrong, purely wondering where it comes from). It seems a bad fit for a race which is at its core meant to be quite aggressive.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Where are they said to tire easily? I don't remember that (not accusing of getting it wrong, purely wondering where it comes from). It seems a bad fit for a race which is at its core meant to be quite aggressive.
From Memory Beta:
Quote:
Andorians efficiently metabolized nutrients and regulated body heat. However, compared to Humans Andorian metabolisms tended to be higher, so they would tire more quickly when engaged in strenuous activities for prolonged periods. (Decipher RPG module: Aliens; ENT episode: "United")
My impression is that there are many pouncing carnivores that tire quickly on earth. I have no problem giving an aggressive species Unfit.

Tags
alien, racial template, racial templates, star trek