Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Carsonist

Default Have you played in the Mad Lands?

Some time ago, I bought GURPS Fantasy II, adventures in the mad lands. While I really like the setting in the sense that it's fun to read about, I really can't imagine running a game in it.

The world seems to doom everyone to: "Life sucks, then you die." Except sometimes, it's: "Life sucks, then you die, then you come back as a monster."

So, I'm curious, has anyone run a game in the Mad Lands, or been a PC in it? If so, how'd it go?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
thastygliax

Default Re: Have you played in the Mad Lands?

Haven't read it, haven't played it. But apparently some SJ Games writers share your opinion of Fantasy II, because the Madlands are mentioned in the "Hell Worlds" section of GURPS Infinite Worlds.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
varianor

I playtested it when it was first written. My players hated it. (Quite possibly because there was no way to "win" really.*) I enjoyed it. With the right group, it's a terrific setting for roleplaying. Your odds of putting that group together are above zero, but statistically less likely than the Red Sox winning again this year. :)

*That and the fact that the great and terrifying gods were Winnie the Pooh takeoffs weren't appreciated. Years later I have a terrific appreciation for what Robin Laws did with that setting. Ah, but only if I had it when I was 29.
varianor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonist
The world seems to doom everyone to: "Life sucks, then you die." Except sometimes, it's: "Life sucks, then you die, then you come back as a monster."
So, how is this different from, say, Midnight? Lots of settings have made it on this premise. Usually, it's billed as "dark and edgy," or some other epithet. It's all about spin.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Brandy

Sounds like CoC to me. Not terrible in small doses, but not my cup of tea for the long haul.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
So, how is this different from, say, Midnight? Lots of settings have made it on this premise. Usually, it's billed as "dark and edgy," or some other epithet. It's all about spin.
I would say that its bleaker than Midnight. Midnight is Lord of the Rings if Sauron won more or less. Madlands is a country of TL1 people with a bunch insane gods running around making their lives a living hell. But they don't do it because they are evil. Madland gods just don't care. If you get a chance it is an interesting read.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
LittleShepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by varianor
That and the fact that the great and terrifying gods were Winnie the Pooh takeoffs weren't appreciated.
Ah...gah...cck...

I had that book for years and never noticed that! Now I'm sitting here, barely able to breathe from the shock, and...oh, I wish I hadn't sold that book! If I couldn't find a group to play with after that little revelation, I'd go out into the world and make one.

I'm...gonna be right over there...hyperventilating. Y'know, if anyone needs me.
LittleShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #8
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by varianor
*That and the fact that the great and terrifying gods were Winnie the Pooh takeoffs weren't appreciated. Years later I have a terrific appreciation for what Robin Laws did with that setting. Ah, but only if I had it when I was 29.
You see I've known this for some time, but I've never laid eyes on FantasyII, so it makes me sad that I know, because if I buy the book of e-bay or e23 what I can't know is whether I would have figured it out. Just like my friends did to me with 6th Sense*

*I did figure out Unbreakable's Suprise Ending though
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
highpriest_rsw2

I've never played in the madlands before because I have had no luck finding the book. I do however have a friend who did do a madlands game where if you died you were transported to ankh-mopork by morte and reincarnated as a character there.(which I know doesn't make much sense but somehow he made it work beautifully)

I really hope there will be a section in the banestorm book on the mad lands.
highpriest_rsw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
LittleShepherd

I just went and checked out the blurb in Infinite Worlds on the world dubbed Madland, and was kind of surprised. I didn't expect it to be huge and comprehensive, but there's not even a passing mention of the neighboring lands that don't seem to have the same problems as the Madlands itself.

*sigh* Oh, well...
LittleShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote