Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
luguvalium

Default Re: Prootwaddles

I hope Warehouse23 will carry a supply of "PROOT!" T-shirts and bumper stickers.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #22
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
We all knew someone would go there -- I'm just disappointed it was you, Colonel! ;-)
I am vast, I contain multitudes. Of disappointment. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #23
Clumsy Crusader

Has anybody ever determined what they Look Like? The description in ITL doesn't really say, it says Quarrelsome, unruly , Moronic, little Humanoids. Now Humanoid generally means having the same basic design as Humans. so that's not really clear. For some reason they got conflated in my head with Ducks from Runequest. Is there actual description / depiction out there somewhere?

- Clumsy Crusader

Last edited by Clumsy Crusader; 07-26-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: attempt at correcting Spelling & Grammer
Clumsy Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
JLV

Ha! The ducks from Runequest! Well, why not -- actually that's a pretty evocative description right there! ;-) Though, sadly, I don't suppose Steve could actually do that, given Chaosium's copyright on that...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #25
The Wyzard

I think I would have just based some NPCs on the characters from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. No new races necessary. :D
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #26
JLV

Or, come to think of it, just about any other sitcom... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #27
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy Crusader View Post
Has anybody ever determined what they Look Like? The description in ITL doesn't really say, it says Quarrelsome, unruly , Moronic, little Humanoids. Now Humanoid generally means having the same basic design as Humans. so that's not really clear. For some reason they got conflated in my head with Ducks from Runequest. Is there actual description / depiction out there somewhere?

- Clumsy Crusader
I always assumed them to be essentially ugly and stupid hobbit-spinoffs.

Given the advances in archaeology and paleontology, I'd alter that slightly, and make them look like the reconstructions of Homo floresiensis...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
guymc

Prootwaddles were quite prominent in the longest-lasting TFT campaign I was ever in (ran over 4 years) as comic relief, but occasionally as a real burden for the player characters.

It seems the local Prootwaddles in the area worshipped a deity they called "Pvod". (I wonder where that came from...?) Since the "sacred shrine" to Pvod was in an old quarry, it was basically a pile of rocks with a face painted on it.

The Prootwaddles brought Pvod offerings of food (which they usually went back and ate themselves later, having forgotten where it came from). They also sat around the idol at least once or twice a week in what passed for Prootwaddle sacred services. During this time, the wind would whistle through the pits, tunnels and caves of the old quarry, and the Prootwaddles listened quietly and intently to it, hoping to hear the Voice of Pvod. (It was the only time the Prootwaddles were ever quiet, in fact.)

Every now and then, a Prootwaddle *would* think he heard something and leap to his feet. (Well, struggle to his feet, actually.) The lucky, favored worshiper would excitedly proclaim the latest Word of Pvod. Often, this sparked an argument which led nowhere. Sometimes, though, they actually came to an agreement and acted on what Pvod told them to do. This was almost never good news.

One such pronouncement became an "annual" tradition --Pvod Provide Day. I say "annual" because Prootwaddles don't use calendars well, and they tended to celebrate Pvod Provide Day rather irregularly, sometimes several times a year.

On Pvod Provide Day, Pvod's command was that everyone provide for the Prootwaddles as gifts from the mighty Pvod. This resulted in what you might think of as "Halloween on Steroids" with groups of Prootwaddles running through the town yelling "Pvod Provide", seeking handouts.

Food was usually best, and often consumed on the spot, but the Prootwaddles were always glad to get other sorts of basic supplies, plus anything shiny. Most people in the area went along with the gag just to keep the Prootwaddles moving instead of standing around you chanting. A lot of town merchants shut their doors for the day, knowing no real business would get done anyway. Some people just stayed in, pretended they weren't home, locked their doors, and ignored it if anyone knocked.

Pvod Provide day sent us off on adventures more than once, generally because some Prootwaddle or another took off with something shiny that he wasn't supposed to have -- or was dangerous to leave in the hands of careless Prootwaddles.

By the way, I always visualized them as short (halfling sized), pudgy and bottom-heavy. Think weebles with stumpy little legs.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #29
ak_aramis

Guy, that sounds like excellent fodder for a solo module... <hint><hint>
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #30
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy Crusader View Post
Has anybody ever determined what they Look Like?
Googling didn't reveal any attempts to draw them - there probably were some back in the 80s that never made it to the web. I found an image of a tweet from 2016 where a Filipino described someone as a "fat little prootwaddle paddling happily in a pool of blood while honking his love for his cannibal god." I haven't yet managed to ask the author what it meant. Hair seems to be a big thing in their description so I always imagined long hair emerging chaotically from their scalp in all directions.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote