Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Seneschal

Default Statting a humanoid gestalt made of alien jellyfish

A GM of mine plans on running a far-future silly space-opera, so we're on the lookout for interesting SF characters. Yesterday, on the CGHUB Mass Effect 3D Challenge (the only rules were to design something that fit the Mass Effect setting, even if it's a new alien species), I saw a particularly interesting submission: a colony of polyp-like creatures that come together and mimic a humanoid (and even change colour/texture).

Youtube video of the submission morphing from clump of jellyfish into an armored human

So, how would you guys stat such a thing? At first I thought Morph (Universal, +50%; No Memorization Required, +50%; Cosmetic Only, -50%) [150] would do it, but that's an insane amount of points for a largely superficial change. Assuming the polyps cannot impersonate anyone, and can only fool someone in poor lighting (e.g. they get mistaken for a human in an alleyway, but speak to them face-to-face and you'll see through it - like the Judas Breed bug from "Mimic"), that would be more like Elastic Skin. Except that they probably can imitate inanimate objects (again, badly), which is outside of the reach of Elastic Skin.

Other possible traits:
Quote:
Compartmentalized Mind [??]
Doesn't Breathe (Oxygen Absorption, -25%) [15]
Double-Jointed [15]
Injury Tolerance (Homogenous) [40]
Injury Tolerance (Detachable Body Parts) (Detachable Head, +15%; Instant Reattachment, +50%; Reattachment Only, -50%) [40]
Injury Tolerance (No Blood, No Neck) [10]
Pressure Support 2 [10]
Scanning Sense (Field Sense) (Extended Arc, 360°, +125%) [22]
Slippery 5 [10]
Vibration Sense (Universal, +50%) [15]...
This all assumes it's a marine organism. They probably don't have eyes, so Blindness [-50] would help alleviate the huge cost of Morph and IT. Dependency (Water, Common; Weekly) [-10] might also be appropriate.

Any other ideas?
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Statting a humanoid gestalt made of alien jellyfish

I don't think these guys have Cosmetic Only if they have Morph... surely the assembled form has different stats (at least as far as SM and manipulating ability go), unless you're building it as a humanoid with Switchable IT: Diffuse (Swarm) in which case it doesn't need Morph at all.

I'd skip Reattachable Head and just say that they have No Head instead. That way, if the jellyfish that is serving as the head is "severed," the HP are lost but another takes its place seamlessly. Otherwise the composite body is stuck with impaired senses and so forth until it can reclaim a jellyfish that is, realistically speaking, probably too injured to help even if placed back on the "shoulders."
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Seneschal

Default Re: Statting a humanoid gestalt made of alien jellyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I don't think these guys have Cosmetic Only if they have Morph... surely the assembled form has different stats (at least as far as SM and manipulating ability go), unless you're building it as a humanoid with Switchable IT: Diffuse (Swarm) in which case it doesn't need Morph at all.

I'd skip Reattachable Head and just say that they have No Head instead. That way, if the jellyfish that is serving as the head is "severed," the HP are lost but another takes its place seamlessly. Otherwise the composite body is stuck with impaired senses and so forth until it can reclaim a jellyfish that is, realistically speaking, probably too injured to help even if placed back on the "shoulders."
Huh. Maybe I should stat the basic racial template as a Diffuse (Swarm), Invertebrate, No Fine Manipulators; in a tight humanoid clump, it would lose Invertebrate and turn Diffuse into Homogenous. To simplify things (and lower cost), it might also only be able to take on a humanoid form that can slightly change (making it an Alternate Form with Elastic Skin).

Good point about the head, since it really has no "head" - just a headlike imitation that serves as much purpose as the hand or the torso.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien, racial templates, sci-fi, space