Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #311
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

so you moved away 2 hexes? Probably too far for me to reach you. I can't remember what I did with that shoe.

Free forever is definitely weird, I'd at least do some kinda HT roll for a CHANCE to lose AP while maintaining speed or some kinda fractional loss, but that would be beyond Cole's version.

I guess I should get a head start on AP recovery by taking an Evaluate and moving 1 step toward you.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #312
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
so you moved away 2 hexes? Probably too far for me to reach you. I can't remember what I did with that shoe.

You probably have time to go get it...

Quote:
Free forever is definitely weird, I'd at least do some kinda HT roll for a CHANCE to lose AP while maintaining speed or some kinda fractional loss, but that would be beyond Cole's version.
by basic 354 I get a minute of paced running before I have to make a HT roll or loose an FP. So its not forever, and may not even be enough to do what I want. How do we want to apply that rule to your weird "I can move at full speed with a step" movement?

Quote:
I guess I should get a head start on AP recovery by taking an Evaluate and moving 1 step toward you.

You can move at full speed while recovering AP? groan.

red continues moving 2 yards forward

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-22-2020 at 03:18 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #313
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
by basic 354 I get a minute of paced running before I have to make a HT roll or loose an FP. So its not forever, and may not even be enough to do what I want.
Hm, if we used someting like 1 FP = 5 AP (basic HT 10 burning ratio of 50%) them you could roll every 12 seconds to see if you lost 1 AP? Or maybe once every 10 seconds just to be rounder... or maybe roll every 1 second to see if you lose 0.1 AP? :)

Quote:
How do we want to apply that rule to your weird "I can move at full speed with a step" movement?
No idea, I think it's only possible because of the whole "step is a minimum of one hex" thing regardless of whatever your Full Move is.

Quote:
You can move at full speed while recovering AP? groan.
Which seems to be the case even if you don't have any momentum built up, which is part of the weirdness of the free step, since standing in place evaluating should be slightly more restful than walking 3ft/s and evaluating.

(but then, lying down should also be slightly more restful than maintaining a standing posture)

I guess I roll HT now to see if I get AP back?

I got an 11 which I think is too high so it fails and I get nothing. I guess I'll continue evaluating you (can't remember if we put a range cap on that?) your turn again.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #314
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

[QUOTE=Plane;2326443]Hm, if we used someting like 1 FP = 5 AP (basic HT 10 burning ratio of 50%) them you could roll every 12 seconds to see if you lost 1 AP? Or maybe once every 10 seconds just to be rounder... or maybe roll every 1 second to see if you lose 0.1 AP? :)[quote]
no fractional AP please. Loosing AP rather than FP feels like a tactic to limit how far I can go to the smallest amount possible, but looking at it from outside the exact situation, I can see its merits. I'm not sure if the recovery curve works super well though: you can go forever by running for a minute and loosing 5 AP, then walking for 10 seconds to get it all back.

Quote:
No idea, I think it's only possible because of the whole "step is a minimum of one hex" thing regardless of whatever your Full Move is.
I agree. And I don't even mind it when the fight is about retreats and back and forth, but when you use it to chase me when under 1/3rd HP and a bum leg it feels wrong.

Quote:
I guess I roll HT now to see if I get AP back?
Yep.

Quote:
I got an 11 which I think is too high so it fails and I get nothing. I guess I'll continue evaluating you (can't remember if we put a range cap on that?) your turn again.
I think you only have a -1 to HT right now? that makes an 11 an exact success. I'm not opposed to evaluations at range. Its weird though, because you can only move towards me AND recover AP at the same time if evaluate is legal.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #315
Plane

Quote:
I'm not sure if the recovery curve works super well though: you can go forever by running for a minute and loosing 5 AP, then walking for 10 seconds to get it all back.
Yeah, could be worth studying Fartlek intervals for coming up with a better ratio.

AP recovery via Do Nothings / Evaluates should probably also somehow be linked to food/water consumption in some way but that requires goes even more crunch/meta.

I had some ideas like defining metabolism as Leech w/ 1/5 discount (Internal Advantages, per Bio-Tech) where you drain HP/FP only from stuff you've eaten.

Quote:
I don't even mind it when the fight is about retreats and back and forth, but when you use it to chase me when under 1/3rd HP and a bum leg it feels wrong.
Totally intentional to parody the problem :) I should be zombie-shuffling with 2-second steps as if I had Decreased Time Rate at this level of injury/fatigue

Quote:
I think you only have a -1 to HT right now? that makes an 11 an exact success. I'm not opposed to evaluations at range. Its weird though, because you can only move towards me AND recover AP at the same time if evaluate is legal.
LOL yeah I was only thinking about the range at which it makes sense to accrue the bonus...

There probably ought to be some "Evaluate yourself" option if there's no targets nearby if you want the benefit of "recover AP while walking" which Do Nothing denies, or else give Do Nothing the option to include a step also.

I guess there's nothing actually preventing you from evaluating yourself (this would be valuable if you wanted to poke yourself in the eye) and you could count as defenseless to double the evaluate bonus from +3 to +6 (as per the crit tables) to surpass Telegraphic's bonus (or just take Kromm's suggestion to stack with it)

I guess if I tied the roll it means I got back 1 AP then? I could've sworn it was -2 to HT but I lost track of what my FP was down to...

I wrote back on Nov 18 "due to being at 9/12 FP, I suffer a -1 HT -1 DX penalty" .. that's 75% of FP....

Am I remembering wrong about it being -1 HT/DX/IQ per 10% FP loss and it's per 20% or something? I'm assuming per full increment and we ignore fractions, need to check pyramid next time I'm on desktop...
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #316
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Yeah, could be worth studying Fartlek intervals for coming up with a better ratio.
Might be overkill. Might just be worth popping out of combat time.

For this case, I can actually just use the same evaluate trick you are using once I get far enough ahead of you.

Quote:
LOL yeah I was only thinking about the range at which it makes sense to accrue the bonus...

There probably ought to be some "Evaluate yourself" option if there's no targets nearby if you want the benefit of "recover AP while walking" which Do Nothing denies, or else give Do Nothing the option to include a step also.

I guess there's nothing actually preventing you from evaluating yourself (this would be valuable if you wanted to poke yourself in the eye) and you could count as defenseless to double the evaluate bonus from +3 to +6 (as per the crit tables) to surpass Telegraphic's bonus (or just take Kromm's suggestion to stack with it)
I suppose the ability to walk while kind of resting and recover AP at a lower rate actually makes sense. And when I do that I do generally just focus on myself.

Quote:
I guess if I tied the roll it means I got back 1 AP then? I could've sworn it was -2 to HT but I lost track of what my FP was down to...

Am I remembering wrong about it being -1 HT/DX/IQ per 10% FP loss and it's per 20% or something? I'm assuming per full increment and we ignore fractions, need to check pyramid next time I'm on desktop...
i just checked the dice roller and we've both been subtracting -1 from everything due to FP loss. That's where I got my number.

If it succeeded, then yes, you recovered AP.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #317
Plane

Quote:
I suppose the ability to walk while kind of resting and recover AP at a lower rate actually makes sense. And when I do that I do generally just focus on myself.

i just checked the dice roller and we've both been subtracting -1 from everything due to FP loss. That's where I got my number.

If it succeeded, then yes, you recovered AP.
Perhaps also could Evaluate your weapon so that if you need to grapple your weapon you are +1 to grapple the weapon? :) Only if armed though.

I guess I need to check when the next threshold for -2 to HT is
Old 07-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #318
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I wrote back on Nov 18 "due to being at 9/12 FP, I suffer a -1 HT -1 DX penalty" .. that's 75% of FP....

Quote:
I guess I need to check when the next threshold for -2 to HT is

Its per 20% of FP. You get -1 at 9, and -2 at 7.

By post 291 (which references post 171), we're at 8/12 and 7/10. Any FP loss by either of us results in an additional penalty, which tracks with what I remembered.