Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Tech Level appropriate skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You can either give [Newton] a perk that lets him acquire physics at TL4, or say that he was advanced in a science and knew TL5 physics, or say that Physics skill emerges at TL4 rather than TL5.
I'd say it's late TL4: Galileo did some real physics in the early 1600s.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
More than experimental devices: ships routinely had radio transmitters and receivers before WWI. Military air-to-ground radio was reasonably routine in 1918 at mid TL6 and thoroughly standard by the mid 1930s.
Yes and operating and repairing all these things is terribly, terribly arcane and the domain of people who answer to "Sparky" or "Sparks" when called.

Even though it's over the tL7 line at 1940 most WWII systems would still be TL6.

Perhaps repairing telegraphs requires only Electrician but that's well within the TL5 period.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yes and operating and repairing all these things is terribly, terribly arcane and the domain of people who answer to "Sparky" or "Sparks" when called.
In a period where skills for operating technology were a lot rarer than today, especially amongst writers, many of whom still wrote longhand, and shape our perceptions. Equipment that passenger ships are legally required to have, after the Titanic sinking in 1912, can hardly be "experimental."
Quote:
Even though it's over the TL7 line at 1940 most WWII systems would still be TL6.
Many of them, certainly: practical radars were all TL7.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Clockwork devices, catapults, ship's steering wheels, mill wheels...
I regard TL4 ship's rigging as the subject of a Mechanic specialization as well.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
I'd say it's late TL4: Galileo did some real physics in the early 1600s.
He and Newton were both geniuses. I see nothing wrong with saying that Physics is TL5, and those two guys had paid 1 CP each for the Anachronstic Skill (Physics) Perk.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
He and Newton were both geniuses. I see nothing wrong with saying that Physics is TL5, and those two guys had paid 1 CP each for the Anachronstic Skill (Physics) Perk.
Nor I. You could even go so far as to say that anyone considered the "father" or "mother" of a field should have either Anachronistic Skill or Cutting Edge: Ada Lovelace with Computer Programming; Einstein, Galileo, and Newton w/ Physics, etc.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Nor I. You could even go so far as to say that anyone considered the "father" or "mother" of a field should have either Anachronistic Skill or Cutting Edge: Ada Lovelace with Computer Programming; Einstein, Galileo, and Newton w/ Physics, etc.
Anybody involved in inventing something that is going to define a TL boundary must have something like that. Indeed since TLs are defined by what is in general circulation, pretty much anybody who regularly works with anything that's still "experimental" is likely to have some skills that don't "exist" yet.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Polydamas

Quote:
Either that or Europe at the end of the 17th century and start of the 18th century could be called TL 5 in Physics. None of the other TL 4 civilizations (early modern Islam, China from the Sung to the Ming, early modern Japan) or equally capable societies which GURPS calls TL 2 (the Hellenistic/Roman Mediterranean) had such advanced mechanics.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
That's at least a possibility. I had thought of Harvey as having Anachronistic Skill to let him buy Physician and/or Physiology at TL4 after he discovered blood circulation.

I might say, though, that Galileo had Anachronistic Skill (Physics) and Physics/TL4, but Newton had High TL 1 and Physics/TL5 (along with Astronomy/TL5 and Machinist/TL5). It looks to me as if TL5 pretty much can be defined as "based on technologies that follow from understanding Newton."

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
More than experimental devices: ships routinely had radio transmitters and receivers before WWI. Military air-to-ground radio was reasonably routine in 1918 at mid TL6 and thoroughly standard by the mid 1930s.
One history of radio and electronics that I read a few years ago maintained that the big innovation right around 1920 was the development of precision tuning and tuned oscillators whose signals could be modulated. I have the impression that the older transmitters were sending out very broadband signals, or even white noise, suitable for Morse code but not for audio. It was right around then that legal rights to spectrum became an issue and fell under government regulation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th edition, chargen, custom setting, nowing, raw