Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #51
Drake DuKain

Default Re: Blunt Trauma Murphy rule?

I checked out that link you had posted, Gene Ha. Those FLEX rules are pretty cool. That's kinda what I had in mind about blunt trauma. Whenever I think of blunt trauma, I think of "car crash": the car may protect you from the collision itself, but you go bouncing around, getting messed up regardless (but at least not ending up like a pancake, unless you fly through the windshield).

I wonder what would be the FLEX a character would receive with Damage Resistance?

Cyril Bailey
The Greek Atomists and Epicurus (1928)
Drake DuKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #52
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher
this was for the 3e rules 4e rules are now different. I like the 3 e rules better...it takes total dmage out of the equation and sticks strictly with the number you roll.
Whereas I think the 3e rules stink on ice. Aside from issues of realism, it means that for many armour/attack combos you are very unlikely to take blunt trauma because anything that can generate it does enough damage to penetrate.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:46 AM   #53
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
Whereas I think the 3e rules stink on ice. Aside from issues of realism, it means that for many armour/attack combos you are very unlikely to take blunt trauma because anything that can generate it does enough damage to penetrate.
Ok but in the current rules you will never get blunt trama damage for Chainmail, Leaher or any flexible armor less than DR:5. SO they should not reference those types of armor in the statement about flexible armor and blunt trama becaus et isn't true unless you have extreme cases or high end chainmail.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #54
Rupert

Quote:
Ok but in the current rules you will never get blunt trama damage for Chainmail, Leaher or any flexible armor less than DR:5. SO they should not reference those types of armor in the statement about flexible armor and blunt trama becaus et isn't true unless you have extreme cases or high end chainmail.
Or levels of the Fortifiy enchantment, which is in Basic (B480), even. Besides, they are flexible, so they should come under the rule, even if they won't generally be affected by it. Otherwise you get the strange effect that low-grade flexible armour becomes inflexible.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #55
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Or levels of the Fortifiy enchantment, which is in Basic (B480), even. Besides, they are flexible, so they should come under the rule, even if they won't generally be affected by it. Otherwise you get the strange effect that low-grade flexible armour becomes inflexible.
what would it hurt...at that point they would only be Flexible armor in name but not function. Except for Chain which acts differently verses crushing but keep that disadvantage...it has nothing to do with the blunt trama rules...its still DR:4.

Leather has DR:2 you can't get blunt trama effects from it because its less than DR:5 so in game mechanics it acts like ridgid armor...athough you can call it flexible and it wouldn't make a difference.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #56
Rupert

Quote:
what would it hurt...at that point they would only be Flexible armor in name but not function. Except for Chain which acts differently verses crushing but keep that disadvantage...it has nothing to do with the blunt trama rules...its still DR:4.

Leather has DR:2 you can't get blunt trama effects from it because its less than DR:5 so in game mechanics it acts like ridgid armor...athough you can call it flexible and it wouldn't make a difference.
There are other things that flexible armour defends against differently - neck snaps, for example.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #57
Skullcrusher

Quote:
There are other things that flexible armour defends against differently - neck snaps, for example.
Was hoping to get Kromm's word on this thread

Edit: I'll sum it for you. The Flexible armor states that for evey 5 points of damage absorbed by flexible armor you take 1 point o fblunt trama. How does it work for cloth, leather, and chain DR:1,2 and 4 respectively? It seems they will never be affected by blunt trama.

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 10-12-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Tags
blunt trauma, kromm answer