Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Cheomesh

Default Attack and defense with two different skills

I have someone who has both karate and brawling for a fantasy campaign. From what I have read here, you must defend yourself with the skill you used to attack in your last turn; i.e. if he brawls at me, he has to defend with brawling. But, I want to give him the ability to use karate defenses and yet use brawling when attacking. At first I thought this was form mastery, but I don't think it is after reading it. I remember it being worded differently (and on the right side of the page). Leads, or am I misremembering?

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: Attack and defense with two different skills

That doesn't apply to unarmed attacks, so this isn't an issue. I'm too lazy to search for the Kromm post where this is mentioned :P
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Not quite what I was remembering, but here's one thread that discusses the question:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=49507

This thread is focussed mostly on unarmed skills, which is what the OP was asking about. It also implies weapon-based skills cannot be changed up on defense in this manner (Staff/Spear being the top candidate).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
I have someone who has both karate and brawling for a fantasy campaign. From what I have read here, you must defend yourself with the skill you used to attack in your last turn; i.e. if he brawls at me, he has to defend with brawling. But, I want to give him the ability to use karate defenses and yet use brawling when attacking. At first I thought this was form mastery, but I don't think it is after reading it. I remember it being worded differently (and on the right side of the page). Leads, or am I misremembering?

M.
No. If you defend with the same weapon you attack with, you are stuck with the skill used to weild that weapon, UNLESS you have the perk that lets you use another skill that operates that weapon (Spear as attack, Spear parrying as a Staff, for example).

Ir I attack with a sword, I can defend with a shield or a main Gauche and it's totally game legal.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Cheomesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
No. If you defend with the same weapon you attack with, you are stuck with the skill used to weild that weapon, UNLESS you have the perk that lets you use another skill that operates that weapon (Spear as attack, Spear parrying as a Staff, for example).

Ir I attack with a sword, I can defend with a shield or a main Gauche and it's totally game legal.
So...I was correct, then?

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Dinadon

Quote:

M.
No, because this doesn't apply to the unarmed skills!

EDIT: Also, my search-fu is weak as I know it's been mentioned on the forums somewhere, probably by Kromm.

Last edited by Dinadon; 12-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Icelander

Parry with any unarmed skill you choose, as long as you have the required appendage free.

See Kromm-post.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:

M.
Even with armed skills, it's a questionable description, since the actual rule is that you can only change which skill you're wielding a weapon with under certain circumstances. But it does have that effect since the normal occasion for changing is the start of your turn.

But you never have your fists in a Karate grip.