Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
TimRemp

Default Re: Spell Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
My preference would be to leave the secular Demon summoning spells as is, but certainly if one were being summoned by an invocation of theurgy, then big sacrifices would be very appropriate. That is, if a High Priest isn't spending ST or Mana to summon the Demon, he/she's got to pay in some other way! Sacrificing an enemy might not even be enough depending on the religion -- for a really important Greater Demon the sacrifice called for might even be a member of the royal family, or even the local monarch.

Not that those making the sacrifice would consider themselves doing evil. They'd be calling on their deity to send help in the form of a Greater Demon, but they would see the creature as an Archangel. Lesser Demons of course would only be perceived as regular Angels, and might not warrant quite as dramatic a sacrifice -- probably one of your PCs would do <evil grin>

Requiring certain spell components (for whatever reason) wouldn't just add flavor, it allows for the GM to adjust play balance by doing something other than always charging a high ST cost.
I agree with Steve about leaving Demon Summoning secular. Its a huge can of worms that doesn't need to see the light of day.

I also find Spell Components to be cumbersome. I've been playing a lot of D&D 2e with a new group and they moved away from it with a few exceptions. The game runs a lot smoother.
TimRemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:04 AM   #12
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRemp View Post
I also find Spell Components to be cumbersome.
Simplest might be to keep them optional and reward their use with a small bonus. Say a +1 DX bonus creating an illusion if you burn sandalwood incense first -- but you don't have to have the incense because you can still cast the spell normally without it. Perhaps some components might be considered standard parts of a wizard's kit.

I'd certainly want a few unusual requirements to add both color and comic relief

"What are you doing Merlin, we need that demon now or we're all dead!"

"I'm slathering my torso with blueberry preserves -- do you want this spell to work or not?"
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
hcobb

We do have Spell Components and they cost $10/week. (ITL 142)

Enable a wizard to use chest or lab to spend five minutes carefully casting a spell for a +2 bonus on the roll?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #14
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Simplest might be to keep them optional and reward their use with a small bonus. Say a +1 DX bonus creating an illusion if you burn sandalwood incense first
This is what I was thinking of, not required but can give a bonus if used.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 PM   #15
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
not required but can give a bonus if used.
When life or death can hinge on one pip of a die, anything possible has a way of becoming compulsory.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #16
hcobb

When is it required to spend five minutes pulling out and using your wizard's chest to get a +2 bonus on a Knock spell? Or Detect Magic?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
Terquem

I agree with David's post above and have a long history of seeing this in many different games - anytime you create a rule that makes success more likely the players will work to include that "trick" into any attempt they make - it's game play that drives many choices players make usually before "game experience"
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d, magic, material, staff