Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Body Types

I've been getting asked about different body types (quadruped, centaur, etc.).

I've started a data file for GCA4 that will include the types from Campaigns p553. It currently includes the Humanoid, Quadruped, Winged Quadruped, Hexapod, Winged Hexapod, Centaur, Avian, Vermiform, Octopod, and Arachnoid body types from Campaigns. It also includes Winged Humanoid, Vermiform + Arms, Winged Vermiform, and Winged Vermiform + Arms, which are not from Campaigns but seemed like they should be in there. Still need Cancroid and Ichthyoid, plus probably Cancroid + Striker Tail for scorpions.

That file is currently on my OneDrive here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArfRTuC0cl3q91yI...ExaXZ?e=PvjYPX

Unfortunately the image in GCA4's protection window is fixed to a humanoid, so that'll look a bit funny. (GCA5 will support different body template images.) How armor is applied to these locations may also be a bit weird, but we can adjust as needed.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Body Types

I've added the Cancroid, Ichthyoid, and Cancroid + Striker Tail (for scorpions) types.

The Additional Body Types file now includes:

Humanoid
Quadruped
Winged Quadruped
Hexapod
Winged Hexapod
Centaur
Avian
Vermiform
Octopod
Cancroid
Cancroid + Striker Tail
Ichthyoid
Arachnoid

all from Campaigns. It also includes:

Winged Humanoid
Vermiform + Arms
Winged Vermiform
Winged Vermiform + Arms

which are not from Campaigns but seemed like they should be in there.

Ask for other body types if you want them included. I'm only doing the simple body type breakdowns, such as those used in Basic Set, not the really complex breakdowns as found in Low Tech, because I'm not a cross-species biological armorer, and I don't know what most coverage breakdowns should be.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:57 AM   #3
Angel Darkover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
because I'm not a cross-species biological armorer
Thank you for the laugh, I needed that.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

A couple others I can think of that are semi-common in fiction:

4-Armed Humanoid
2-Headed Humanoid
Humanoid + Striking Tail (Bipedal Dinosauroid)
Quadruped + Striking Tail (Quadrupedal Dinosauroid)

There are, of course, some more variants on the multi-headed body plans (3+ headed quadruped, two heads four arms Humanoid) but most of those are more likely to be NPCs/Monsters than PCs.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-09-2021 at 03:50 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Darkover View Post
Thank you for the laugh, I needed that.
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
4-Armed Humanoid
2-Headed Humanoid
Humanoid + Striking Tail (Bipedal Dinosauroid)
Quadruped + Striking Tail (Quadrupedal Dinosauroid)
Yes, those are good, thanks.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Whoops, fixed some oversights.

I kept noting Winged Humanoid as not in Campaigns, but it is, so there is that. Also Winged Vermiform and Vermiform + Arms were in the notes, which I just glossed over in my initial file writing. I've also added Fish-Tailed Humanoid, which I also didn't notice.

Forgot Tail on Avian, so added it.

Definitely need more sleep.

Same link, as above.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

By request, I updated the file so that Arachnoid and Octopod use the pair-groups for the legs by default, as shown in the random hit location table in Campaigns.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post

Unfortunately the image in GCA4's protection window is fixed to a humanoid, so that'll look a bit funny. (GCA5 will support different body template images.) How armor is applied to these locations may also be a bit weird, but we can adjust as needed.
Avid GURPS gamer here wants to know the timeline for GCA 5. How do I get my copy???
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
whswhs

GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races added a number of body types. Its full list is Angeloid, Arachnoid, Asteroid, Avian, Cancroid, Centauroid, Helminth, Hexapod, Ichthyoid, Octopod, Ovoid, Quadruped, Scorpionoid, Semi-Upright, Serpentoid, Tritonoid, Vespertilian, and Winged Hexapod. Some of these are equivalent to the types you list with different names.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
Avid GURPS gamer here wants to know the timeline for GCA 5. How do I get my copy???
The timeline is still somewhat unclear, but it's getting much closer. As for getting your copy, the details of that will be up to SJGames, but I imagine whatever they decide, they're won't be keeping it a secret. I'll surely be posting about it in the places I frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races added a number of body types. Its full list is Angeloid, Arachnoid, Asteroid, Avian, Cancroid, Centauroid, Helminth, Hexapod, Ichthyoid, Octopod, Ovoid, Quadruped, Scorpionoid, Semi-Upright, Serpentoid, Tritonoid, Vespertilian, and Winged Hexapod. Some of these are equivalent to the types you list with different names.
Thanks!