Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
XRaysVision

Default Rolled Paper TFT Maps and More

I was on the Facebook page and saw a nice, flat, paper map without creases. I would like to be able to order paper maps: travel & new size Melee & Wizard, G.E.V., Ogre, etc. that are rolled and shipped in a mailing tube. I, for one, would be willing to buy a second (spare) map and pay for the extra shipping and cost of a tube to get rolled maps.

Extend that to posters. I know that there have been some really nice Ogre posters in the past and I would cough up the cost of a TFT octopus poster for my game room in a heartbeat.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Rolled Paper TFT Maps and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
I was on the Facebook page and saw a nice, flat, paper map without creases. I would like to be able to order paper maps: travel & new size Melee & Wizard, G.E.V., Ogre, etc. that are rolled and shipped in a mailing tube. I, for one, would be willing to buy a second (spare) map and pay for the extra shipping and cost of a tube to get rolled maps.

Extend that to posters. I know that there have been some really nice Ogre posters in the past and I would cough up the cost of a TFT octopus poster for my game room in a heartbeat.
We looked into this idea for the Pocket Box games Kickstarter project; the minimum order quantity was too high to make it work out well. It sounds like an awesome idea, though, and we'll keep poking at it and try to find a workable solution.

And so I don't forget: The latest Pocket Box project preorder page is here: https://pocket-box-games-of-the-eigh...ted_preorders/

Last edited by philreed; 04-21-2019 at 08:46 AM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
JLV

Here's an idea; what about a posters and maps Kickstarter? I have no idea if that would work economically speaking or not, but if I had an opportunity to gain some cool map variants (and maybe you could do reprints of the existing MHs too as an add-on), I would certainly back it. Especially if it included some new ideas in generic dungeon mapping too (you know, like the color-coded ones published in the Legacy Edition, but different layouts -- though keeping them geomorphic would be very cool).

You could do a variety of dungeon maps, new terrain maps in the Wizard/Melee sizes, throw in a new Dyson game mat or two, and maybe some cool new Megahexes and call it TFT Battlefields! ;-)

Yeah, I know; I haven't got a clue how much work something like that would be, so I'll just go over here and sit in the corner now...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We looked into this idea for the Pocket Box games Kickstarter project; the minimum order quantity was too high to make it work out well. It sounds like an awesome idea, though, and we'll keep poking at it and try to find a workable solution.
Would it be possible to sell a one-time print on demand link with password, that a local printer could then use to print the map? That way you wouldn't have to print 500 copies and the customer can dictate what size he wants his map.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Would it be possible to sell a one-time print on demand link with password, that a local printer could then use to print the map? That way you wouldn't have to print 500 copies and the customer can dictate what size he wants his map.
I am not aware of any kind of digital file that could only be used once, and honestly, I wouldn't pay for such a thing if it did exist.

On the other hand, I would pay for the same thing as a normal high-res PDF.

And sure, theoretically people could print a hundred posters with a normal PDF, and try to make a profit by selling them — but nobody would buy them, because they'd be paying the same outrageous one-off print costs as the IP Pirate did, plus the greedy markup.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 AM   #6
ColinK

Anybody remember Profantasy's mapping software?

- Campaign Cartographer
- Dungeon Designer
- Fractal Terrains
...etc.

Mine still seemed to function with WINDOWS 10 at last attempt a year or two ago.

Now that TFT is back, I've been thinking about putting together some dungeon maps, overland maps and other fun stuff, then selling the PDF files in a Kickstarter. I don't care how many times they are reprinted or for who. It's all a learning process for me. Next year's PDF map set will be different and better, I hope....
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #7
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinK View Post
Anybody remember Profantasy's mapping software?
I have Campaign Cartographer 3+ installed on my PC right now. I even start it up and play with it occasionally, but I've never gotten familiar enough to work with it efficiently. (And I can do pretty much all the same things with Illustrator, with which I have quite a bit more experience.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I have Campaign Cartographer 3+ installed on my PC right now. I even start it up and play with it occasionally, but I've never gotten familiar enough to work with it efficiently. (And I can do pretty much all the same things with Illustrator, with which I have quite a bit more experience.)
I'm the inverse. I can't use other graphical tools like Illustrator, but can use Campaign Cartographer reasonably well.

I've been doing some mapping with CC3+ for TFT (I think I've spent more on Campaign Cartographer and other ProFantasy products than I did on my son's car - started with the DOS version way back when).

I probably should set up a website to keep my TFT maps visible. But, that sounds like work :)

Here's a link to one of the scenarios I shared, complete with Melee map poster. There's other stuff that I created scattered about these forums, including a primitive template I put together for Melee Maps in CC3+
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote