Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Kerdied

Default Weapons and Armor of GURPS 3rd Traveller Supplements to GURPS 4th

Howdy!

Does anyone knows how to convert the weapons and armor of all GURPS Traveller books from 3rd to 4th Edition?

I found that this is a bit tricky for me to do it all alone.
For example: a Commando Marine Battledress have DR 1.200 in 3rd Edition, which it seems a bit excessive for 4th standards.

If someone has published any list of these conversions, please, send it to me. Otherwise, if somenone has any hints and tips for conversion, this one would be most grateful.

Last edited by Kerdied; 04-21-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Mispellings
Kerdied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Weapons and Armor of GURPS 3rd Traveller Supplements to GURPS 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerdied View Post
H
For example: a Commando Marine Battledress have DR 1.200 in 3rd Edition, which it seems a bit excessive for 4th standards.

It might not be a truly old issue by grognard standards but around here it would probably be agreed that it is the Marine Commando Battledress that is extreme. :)

You probably want to use the battlesuits from Ground Forces and ignore the Marine Commando. Later supplements did. At a minimum keep in mind that MCB is something like 12 feet tall and is more of a small Mecha thyan a true battlesuit.

DR actually did not change between editions. 25 mm of Rolled Homogenous alloy (steel) was and still is DR70 in Gurps.

I would not be in a hurry to chnge all the guns over. All those 4mm Gauss weapons become P- and therefore suck when they're not supposed to.

If you greatly prefer 4e chargen and Skill rules (Martial arts particularly) you can very easily use those with 3e equipment. Just keep the 3e ACC and ROF rules. It'll work fine.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 AM   #3
hal

Default Re: Weapons and Armor of GURPS 3rd Traveller Supplements to GURPS 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerdied View Post
Howdy!

Does anyone knows how to convert the weapons and armor of all GURPS Traveller books from 3rd to 4th Edition?

I found that this is a bit tricky for me to do it all alone.

If someone has published any list of these conversions, please, send it to me. Otherwise, if somenone has any hints and tips for conversion, this one would be most grateful.
If it helps? I'm using the original Traveller Weapon stats for lasers as being accuracy x .6 of their 3e values. I kept the damage as is, and the armor is something I'm still working upon.

Truth be told, I rather like the GURPS 4e armor rules from Pyramid (three separate pyramid issues cover the entire range of armor for the entire TL ranges involved).

I put that project on the back burner largely because I'm actively coding in VB.NET for a GM's aid package for use with my FANTASY GROUNDS Traveller campaign. Once I get that to where I can use it while GM'ing over the net, I'll go back to finishing up the conversion process for the Gauss weapons and such.

Ultimately? I'm ignoring the gun stats from GURPS TRAVELLER 3e in favor of the gun stats from 4e. I suppose I could look up the 3e versions of guns and compare them against their 4e counterparts to see just what is involved in converting them - but elsewhere in the forums is a post that suggests how to convert GURPS 3e guns over to 4e.

For what it is worth? I use GURPS 3e rules for VEHICLE construction as well as Robot construction. Because of that - I largely leave the damage values of 3e lasers and gauss weapons alone.

If you want, click on my name, and email me for more information.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote