Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
KevinJ

Default Sword Wraiths

This is the first draft of a critter that haunted my dreams the other night (26Apr). Fortunately I'm a lucid dreamer and I remember most of what I dreampt the night before. I jotted it down the next morning, then added a few bits to flesh the idea out.

LORE:
In the distant past, a group of fanatical warriors swore solemn and terrible oaths to their dread gods to wage war on their enemies in life and in death; in doing so they bound themselves to this world in a way that they had not intended. Thus were the sword wraiths created of old.
Sword Wraiths are spirits of dead warriors that now inhabit the weapons they wielded at their deaths. Sword Wraiths are not all trapped in swords, any weapon could be a sword wraith, even a arquebus. The point is that the weapon is possessed with a spirit intent on destroying it’s perceived enemies. This could be the actual living enemies, the descendents of those original enemies, or just the Government against which they originally fought.
When a living person grasps a weapon inhabited by a Sword Wraith the spirit will try to possess the individual; treat this as the Possession spell.
The ST requirement for the weapon possessed by the Sword Wraith is waived, but if the possessed has a ST less than the minimum they do reduced damage equal to their ST within that weapon class. A Broadsword wielded by a ST10 character will only inflict 2d-2 plus any bonuses from the weapon itself, thus a very fine broadsword might instill +1 DX and +1 Dmg to the reduced damage of the weaker character.
Stats:
The stats of a Sword Wraith are variable, depending on what they are possessing at the time. If a Sword Wraith is possessing a living being, use the ST and DX of the living being. If it possesses a recently dead (treat as a Zombie) then use the DX of the being in life or 10, whichever is higher. The weapon grants the appropriate weapon talent (Sword, Guns, Pole Weapons, etc) needed to wield it as well as Expertise and Mastery, since it is the spirit in the weapon, not the character, that is in control.
If no living beings are around to possess, the Sword Wrait will animate the closes dead body in the form of a Zombie. The Zombie will not be as good as a living being, but it will have the appropriate Talents for the Sword Wraith.
If no fresh bodies are available, the Sword Wraith can animate a skeleton, also with all the bonuses from Talents and weapon bonuses.
Game Use:
Introducing Sword Wraiths to your existing game might be challenging.
If they have ‘always been there’ then you can introduce the lore and put them in a new dungeon or unexplored area of the world.
You could have the event that creates the Sword Wraiths take place during the game and blame it on your PCs. Nothing says the GM cares like adding eternal and unceasing enemies based on their in game actions.
Another option would be a ‘magic ritual’ for creating Sword Wraiths from willing subjects of the appropriate worshippers of not-so-good Deities.
A 4th option is to leave it a complete mystery and when they find a spiffy new weapon, SURPRIZE!, the Sword Wraith will try to possess the first person to touch it. If they survive they can try to find lore about this, maybe from a friendly bard or scholar.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Sword Wraiths

Interesting. That begs the question though; what if the people (AND their descendants), and the government, maybe even the entire nationality and/or species that they were dedicated to fighting against, have long ago ceased to exist? What happens to the Sword Wraith then? Does it become sort of like a Barrow Wraith? Does it disappear? Does it become a malevolent spirit, chained forever to a quest it can never complete?
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Interesting. That begs the question though; what if the people (AND their descendants), and the government, maybe even the entire nationality and/or species that they were dedicated to fighting against, have long ago ceased to exist? What happens to the Sword Wraith then? Does it become sort of like a Barrow Wraith? Does it disappear? Does it become a malevolent spirit, chained forever to a quest it can never complete?
That's one of the things I've been pondering.

It really depends on how you want to use them in game. I would create each as a distinct NPC with desires and goals. Once a SW's desires/goals are met it's up to the GM to decide the spirit's fate.

Let's say the PCs come across a Sword Wraith [SW] dedicated to defeating a group that doesn't exist in the original form, but there is a group with the same goals descended from the original group. Does the SW see a difference? When they kill the BBEG the SW might dissipate because his/her task is completed, or the SW might change focus to a similar group that intends to harm the SW's descendants. It really depends on the goal of the SW, revenge or protection?

In the dream they were vengeful spirits. If they are bound to their single minded goal then dissipation after completing the goal would be logical.

If the spirits can still make choices, then the spirit might stick around after completing the original goal. Imagine Inigo Montoya as a SW...
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
JLV

"Imagine Inigo Montoya as a SW..."

Even MORE interesting. Would he go around correcting small Sicilian persons' word choice? If they refused to change it, would he kill them? Or would he just be out after unfortunately deformed individuals in general ("You are six-fingered! I am Inigo Montoya; prepare to die!")

Yeah, most of my proposed "solutions" were more rhetorical than anything else, and "it's up to the GM" is a pretty good answer for just about every question like that anyway. But I do like your idea here. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
Anomylous

I generally love the idea of sentient weapons and this is a pretty good (and terrifying!) implementation of it.

Maybe you're already aware of this, but I wanted to point out the relevant RAW on characters wielding weapons too heavy for them:

Quote:
If your ST is less than that required for the weapon you are using, your DX is -1 for each ST point you lack, and the damage done is -1 for each 2 ST (round down) that you lack.

(AM p. 7 old edition, ITL p. 107 new edition)
Possibly the sword wraith can somehow offset the DX penalty from lack of ST, but since we're talking about a being powerfully magical enough to create zombies, here's an alternative idea: The sword wraith can invest its possessed bearer with supernatural strength sufficient to wield it effectively, but at the cost of doing 1 point of injury to its wielder per day - maybe more, if the figure's natural ST is much lower than that required by the weapon. (And this raised ST wouldn't apply to anything except wielding the weapon itself - hit points, saving rolls, etc. are all still reckoned from the wielder's original ST.)

Questions: Does "treat as Possession spell" extend to methods of breaking the enchantment? I'm guessing a Dissolve Enchantment would do the trick; what about forcibly separating the weapon from its possessed wielder? Can these things be destroyed, and if so, how? (I'm assuming a sword wraith has the IQ of the original warrior, and a sense of self-preservation, in service of their revenge mission if nothing else.)

Another idea: Does a sword wraith even have to be a weapon? A wizard's staff is an obvious extension, but imagine a shovel, a pen, a rosary, a musical instrument... bound to a mission that must be completed at all costs.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
JLV

A thought occurs to me here -- perhaps instead of some kind of ST buff (even with a downside), maybe the Sword Wraith makes the user of his weapon (or instrument, or device, or whatever it is) to go Berserk as per the mushroom. Given those effects, that might nicely offset the downside from lack of ST, provide a built-in "penalty" to the wielder, and at the same time avoid any need for new or additional rules.

Just an idea that popped into my head, but it might make the Sword Wraith concept more dangerous to the unsuspecting hero than even the original concept did above... And without having to do a re-write on the RAW. Again, just spitballing here, so any comments (pro or con) are cheerfully accepted and understood!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I generally love the idea of sentient weapons and this is a pretty good (and terrifying!) implementation of it.

Maybe you're already aware of this, but I wanted to point out the relevant RAW on characters wielding weapons too heavy for them:

Possibly the sword wraith can somehow offset the DX penalty from lack of ST, but since we're talking about a being powerfully magical enough to create zombies, here's an alternative idea: The sword wraith can invest its possessed bearer with supernatural strength sufficient to wield it effectively, but at the cost of doing 1 point of injury to its wielder per day - maybe more, if the figure's natural ST is much lower than that required by the weapon. (And this raised ST wouldn't apply to anything except wielding the weapon itself - hit points, saving rolls, etc. are all still reckoned from the wielder's original ST.)

Questions: Does "treat as Possession spell" extend to methods of breaking the enchantment? I'm guessing a Dissolve Enchantment would do the trick; what about forcibly separating the weapon from its possessed wielder? Can these things be destroyed, and if so, how? (I'm assuming a sword wraith has the IQ of the original warrior, and a sense of self-preservation, in service of their revenge mission if nothing else.)

Another idea: Does a sword wraith even have to be a weapon? A wizard's staff is an obvious extension, but imagine a shovel, a pen, a rosary, a musical instrument... bound to a mission that must be completed at all costs.
The original idea was for evil men to become Sword Wraiths, sworn to serve their evil deity or cause for all eternity. As a recurring villain, this could be really unnerving. But maving benevolent individuals do the same thing, but in the service of King and Country or Merciful Dukesh, Lord of Light, would be equally usable, depending on the GMs world.
I was aware of the rules for not having enough ST to wield a weapon, but it slipped my mind.

I like the idea of taking (possibly) damage from using the overly heavy weapon. Since the SW grants the wielder the Mastery Talent for the weapon they would be using it as if the character was a master and that could lead to pulled muscles, tendons, and ligaments. I'm thinking a 3/ST save per combat or take 1 hit. The 1 hit would not be a 'wound' so a physicker could not heal it. The damage would require magic or time to heal. Over time the SW would literally kill the under streangth character.

When I said 'treat as a possession spell' I was, indeed thinking about the methods of breaking the enchantment. The dissolve Enchantment would break the possession, but not a Remove Cursed Item, since the item is not cursed. The item could also be cursed, but that would be a different kettle of slaughterfish.

In my dream it was a sword, but it could be literally anything. A Bard who took a solemn and terrible oath to bring down the Lich King could imbue a musical instrument with his soul. Then you would have to decide what Talents are imparted by the newly minted Bassoon Wraith... And then there would be the compulsions. It could get messy.

What if the legitimate ruler did the same thing with his crown? The usurper (and his descendants) can't use the Crown so it ends up being spirited off by a loyal retainer.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
A thought occurs to me here -- perhaps instead of some kind of ST buff (even with a downside), maybe the Sword Wraith makes the user of his weapon (or instrument, or device, or whatever it is) to go Berserk as per the mushroom. Given those effects, that might nicely offset the downside from lack of ST, provide a built-in "penalty" to the wielder, and at the same time avoid any need for new or additional rules.

Just an idea that popped into my head, but it might make the Sword Wraith concept more dangerous to the unsuspecting hero than even the original concept did above... And without having to do a re-write on the RAW. Again, just spitballing here, so any comments (pro or con) are cheerfully accepted and understood!
Berserking might be appropriate for some Sword Wraiths. The issue is that it wouldn't allow the player to use the Mastery that comes with the possession. In my mind, the precision of a Master Halberdier would not suit the Berserk.

I'm thinking a new name is needed, but Sword Wraith sounds so cool.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
KevinJ

Instead of altering the original post I've incorporated some changes.

LORE:
In the distant past, a group of fanatical warriors swore solemn and terrible oaths to their dread gods to wage war on their enemies in life and in death; in doing so they bound themselves to this world in a way that they had not intended. Thus were the sword wraiths created of old.

Sword Wraiths are spirits of dead warriors that now inhabit the weapons they wielded at their deaths. Sword Wraiths are not all trapped in swords, any weapon could be a sword wraith, even a arquebus. The point is that the weapon is possessed with a spirit intent on destroying it’s perceived enemies. This could be the actual living enemies, the descendants of those original enemies, or just the Government against which they originally fought.
When a living person grasps a weapon inhabited by a Sword Wraith the spirit will try to possess the individual; treat this as the Possession spell.

Since each Sword Wraith is an individual the exact Talents imbued could be tailored to the weapon and warrior. The soul of an axe wielding berserker trapped in a battleaxe might imbue the one possessed with Toughness and the Berserking ability instead of Mastery, making a nearly mindless killing machine with a single goal.

Stats:
The stats of a Sword Wraith are variable, depending on what they are possessing at the time. If a Sword Wraith is possessing a living being, use the ST and DX of the living being. If it possesses a recently dead (treat as a Zombie) then use the DX of the being in life or 10, whichever is higher. The weapon grants the appropriate weapon talent (Sword, Guns, Pole Weapons, etc) needed to wield it as well as Mastery, since it is the spirit in the weapon, not the character, that is in control.

If the possessed character's ST is less than that required for the weapon, DX is -1 for each ST point lacking, and the damage done is -1 for each 2 ST (round down) under the minimum.

If no living beings are around to possess, the Sword Wrait will animate the closes dead body in the form of a Zombie. The Zombie will not be as good as a living being, but it will have the appropriate Talents for the Sword Wraith.
If no fresh bodies are available, the Sword Wraith can animate a skeleton, also with all the bonuses from Talents and weapon bonuses. With no source for a body, the weapon would lay dormant until touched by a living being.

Game Use:
Introducing Sword Wraiths to your existing game might be challenging.
If they have ‘always been there’ then you can introduce the lore and put them in a new dungeon or unexplored area of the world.
You could have the event that creates the Sword Wraiths take place during the game and blame it on your PCs. Nothing says the GM cares like adding eternal and unceasing enemies based on their in game actions.
Another option would be a ‘magic ritual’ for creating Sword Wraiths from willing subjects of the appropriate worshippers of not-so-good Deities.
A 4th option is to leave it a complete mystery and when they find a spiffy new weapon, SURPRIZE!, the Sword Wraith will try to possess the first person to touch it. If they survive they can try to find lore about this, maybe from a friendly bard or scholar.
On another tack, anyone who takes a dire oath to a deity or power could become a similar wraith. A Bard who took a solemn and terrible oath to bring down the Lich King could imbue a musical instrument with his soul. The newly minted Bassoon Bard would then possess others to write poetry and songs deriding the illegitimate ruler and perform them in public. On a similar vein, the legitimate ruler did the same thing with his crown? The usurper (and his descendants) can't use the Crown so it ends up being spirited off by a loyal retainer. The "True King" is always showing up to disrupt things in an effort to 'put things right'.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Shostak

Cool idea!

I'd be inclined to spin off the Sword Wraith concept into two things: an enchantment that tries to cheat death, and a type of Wight that is created spontaneously,and that could inhabit any item resonant with the character (a bassoon, a grimoire, a sword, etc). But I'd make the Wight type rare even for a rarity. The enchantment version would be an alternative to a Lich spell. After all, there must be some who want to live forever, but would prefer an actual live body.

With your Sword Wraith, does the spirit have any access to the possessed person's mind, or is it just a new mind in control of the body? I prefer the latter. But, if the former, take a peek at the Mirror Wraith for one take on how to make that work.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote