Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
KevinJ

Default Re: Kraken MA

The lack of detail is one of the wonder things about some beasties. You get to customize it to your world.

Giving the Kraken a move of 2-4 means it isn't stuck in one place, thus a cunning predator could move just far enough to ambush the party that is now looking for it at the old ambush site.

In one world the Kraken might be susceptible to electricity so if a lightning bolt only misses by 2 the Kraken is still affected.

In another world Krakens are susceptible to fire, same basic effect, but boiling the kraken in the super heated water.

You could armor your Kraken or make it's body really big so there is something more than tentacles to attack. If the Kraken can't move them you might get a +4 on all attacks against the body.

If the Kraken can color shift like many octopi, then it might be -1 or -2 dice to see it before the ambush. Or it could be brightly colored giving a bonus to see it. "Oi! There be one o' them day-glow Kraken, keep an eye out for the other un hidin' nearby."
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
hcobb

Problem with giving Kraken both a HTH attack (how else does it eat fish?) and a MA greater than one is that it does away with the SJ timer. The new tactic is to just drag the victim into the water and then charge attack for the kill the next turn.

It must be that not only does it take a long time for you to get to it but also that it needs a long time for it to get to you. Remove that factor and drowning isn't a problem at all.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
It must be that not only does it take a long time for you to get to it but also that it needs a long time for it to get to you. Remove that factor and drowning isn't a problem at all.
Whew! That sure is a load off my mind — I'd be really disappointed if I drowned before the Kraken finished chewing me up and swallowing me. I hate it when that happens.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Yes. The description leaves a lot of blanks for one to fill in, so I'm not surprised that there would be differing interpretations. If it weren't for the description of the creature's body and the mention of a shell I would have just assumed the traditional "giant octopus" type of kraken. But those clue say, to me at least, that they are describing a quite different creature. Honestly, with the shell and the missing MA, it could just as easily be a giant barnacle. ^_^
I like that! "Look out Cap'n! It's the Giant Barnacle of Death!" ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote