Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
phayman53

Default Question about a power with the "Emergencies Only" Limitation

I was wondering how you more experienced GURPS GMs would adjudicate this limitation. I'm thinking of building a character with a divine power [-10% power modifier] that increases his striking and lifting strength by +7, but only in situations where his life or the lives of others are at stake. I was thinking that the Emergencies Only limitation for -30% would work perfectly for this, but I wanted to make sure I understood the limitation properly. Basic says that an ability with this limitation "is triggered by your fear or excitement; you cannot use it under 'routine' conditions" (Basic, 112). To me that would be any fight where people are trying to seriously hurt or kill each other (or even capture someone if the stakes are high enough). However, Powers, pg. 102 further refines the rule by saying:

Quote:
An "emergency" is any event that causes severe mental, emotional, or physical stress. Most situations involving self-control rolls for disadvantages, Fright Checks, or HT rolls for major wounds qualify. The GM should also let a hero with a Code of Honor, Sense of Duty, or Vow that compels him to protect others use his ability to aid an innocent person who's in immediate danger (being mugged, falling to his death, suffering a heart attack, etc.).
So for a power with the Emergency limitation to kick on, does the character have to make one of those checks or be required to act by a CoH, SoD, or Vow? Or is it simply the possibility of needing to make a HT roll for major wounds (as might happen in any fight where people are trying to seriously harm or kill each other) enough to trigger the situation as an emergency?

An example to clarify: this hypothetical Holy warrior is by himself and attacked by a single assassin. There is no CoH, SoD, or Vow that compels him to act, it is only self-defense. Also, he does not have to make any fright checks or self-control rolls. Does his increased strength work, or does he have to wait until he makes a HT roll for a major wound or some other issue?

In the above example, I would think that a life-or-death fight would count as an "emergency", regardless of how skilled a warrior is, but the wording of Powers makes me doubt my initial interpretation.

Thanks!

Last edited by phayman53; 02-11-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarification
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, powers, question, unconscious only, uncontrollable