Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Aneirin

Default GURPS with cardboard heroes

Hello there. i saw Cardboard heroes: The Keep (and walls and castles) and it looks brilliant for a game I am planning.

Can you use these with GURPS, from what I can tell the Keep is set in squares instead of hexes.

Also, what size models would be best to be used for it, seems like traditional 28mm models may be too big.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS with cardboard heroes

Since GURPS uses real world measurements its easy to scale anything to it. SO any size map or layout you wish to use is suseable.
The old cardboard heroes were maybe 4 inches tall? Cant recall.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Aneirin

I was just wondering, when using tactical combat, if using squares rather than hexes made things too complicated?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Since GURPS uses real world measurements its easy to scale anything to it. SO any size map or layout you wish to use is suseable.
The old cardboard heroes were maybe 4 inches tall? Cant recall.
Too lazy to dig mine out, but I recall a generic human figure as about 1 inch tall.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Dammann

The standard tactical scale in GURPS is 1 inch to 1 yard (Basic p.384). That means that a properly scaled mini or cutout should be a touch under 2 inches tall, say 48 mm. The book recommends using 28 mm minis for convenience. I am making Sculpy clay minis that will be right around 2 inches in height.

There are some things that don't make as much sense in square-grid tactical combat as they do in hex combat, but it is still doable.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
Can you use these with GURPS, from what I can tell the Keep is set in squares instead of hexes.
Cardboard Heroes Dungeon Floors was done in both hex and square; it's strange that the castle set doesn't do the same.

To fix this, you can treat the square grid as if it were an offset grid. Treat one row of squares as having its "spaces" at the center of the squares; treat the row on either side of that one as if its "spaces" are on the lines themselves. Alternate back and forth across rows. Here's a picture of an offset grid; pretend that the castle grid looks like this.

What this does is to give you six choices of direction from any "space," just like a grid. It is functionally identical. The only trick when pretending a normal grid is an offset grid is remembering which way runs along a single row and which way runs perpendicular to it.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Aneirin

I was thinking about getting some clear cellofane like subtance with hex grids already on it and just placing it over the areas I need.

Do they sell those anywhere?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
I was thinking about getting some clear cellofane like subtance with hex grids already on it and just placing it over the areas I need.

Do they sell those anywhere?
Probably. You can also hit up an office supply store for printable transparency sheets, use an on-line hex/grid paper generator for the pattern, and print them out yourself to create your own overlays.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardboard heroes, miniatures