Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Weapon Master Broadsword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
except the one handed version of the attack does not use an axe or mace skill, but Broadsword (p.271).
Weapon Master isn't organized by skills used with the weapon, it's organized by weapon types themselves - it's not a sword, and I would NOT include it in Weapon Master: swords.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
except the one handed version of the attack does not use an axe or mace skill, but Broadsword (p.271).
Actually, according to Martial Arts it's a knobbed club, using Axe/Mace.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
Gurps Fan

In 3e, the baseball bat was a Broadsword weapon. Now in 4e, it's an Axe/Mace weapon.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #14
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Weapon Master isn't organized by skills used with the weapon, it's organized by weapon types themselves - it's not a sword, and I would NOT include it in Weapon Master: swords.
Miyamoto Musashi would like to have a word with you.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #15
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Did Miyamoto-san use a baseball bat while I wasn't looking, or have we strayed off-topic? Nobody has yet said that a wooden sword is not a sword.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Jeminai

I would say a boken is a sword (because it is designed as a practice sword and balanced as such).

A baseball bat is weighted at the end and designed as an mace. It can be one or two handed though...It's a bastard mace?

So, to clarify again (because I am a dunce)

A person that uses a scimitar and has Weapon Master is NOT a weapon master with a cavalry saber or a viking broadsword even though all three weapons use the same skill to wield?

Last edited by Jeminai; 08-03-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling error
Jeminai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
So, to clarify again (because I am a dunce)

A person that uses a scimitar and has Weapon Master is NOT a weapon master with a cavalry saber or a viking broadsword even though all three weaons use the same skill to wield?
Quite possibly not, if they have one-weapon Weapon Mastery. That they use the same skill does not interact with the mechanics at all.

The GM might deem more than one weapon-entry to qualify as the same weapon for such purposes. Consider, for instance, Weapon Master (bow), seen in Dungeon Fantasy at the 20-point level. Given that there's no weapon called 'bow', I'm pretty sure that covers all bows. And if your Weapon Master includes a Thrusting Broadsword I'd assume that it also includes a non-thrusting Broadsword, at the least.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Consider, for instance, Weapon Master (bow), seen in Dungeon Fantasy at the 20-point level. Given that there's no weapon called 'bow', I'm pretty sure that covers all bows..
Are we sure about this. Maybe a WM:Composite Bow is required for that weapon and WM: Short Bow will not cover it.

Quote:
And if your Weapon Master includes a Thrusting Broadsword I'd assume that it also includes a non-thrusting Broadsword, at the least.
Again, are we sure here? I misunderstood this advantage more than I suspected. Help me out, please.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Note that 'by weapon' definitely does not mean 'by weapon table entry' in all cases. In addition to the rules faults this would imply, there's Word of Kromm on it relating to Form Mastery.
Quote:
Are we sure about this. Maybe a WM:Composite Bow is required for that weapon and WM: Short Bow will not cover it.
Two reasons that makes no sense:
-There is no weapon entry for 'Bow'. So Weapon Master (Bow) cannot refer to a single weapon entry.
-I can't really see the DF Scout being effectively forbidden from using composite bows.

Quote:
Again, are we sure here? I misunderstood this advantage more than I suspected. Help me out, please.
Well, do you think that WM:Knightly Weapons excludes a thrusting broadsword, probably the most iconic knightly weapon?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Mushashi didn't use a bat and really shouldn't have a single weapon version of WM anyway. It would at least have two weapon version and I would have no issue with giving him say a Japanese swords as a small class.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, weapon master