Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #11
DanHoward

Default Re: Cost of sea passage at TL1/2

There isn't much point researching Iron Age Greek shipping and trade. It bares little resemblance to Bronze Age trade. Markets were different. Ships were different. Social structures were different. Industries were different. They actually had proper currency. There was far less centralised control.

A good example of a late Bronze Age merchant ship is the one found near Ulu Burun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uluburun_shipwreck

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-20-2018 at 03:54 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Paying a percentage of your cargo in the form of fees and taxes is not the same as a currency. It is barter - trade in kind.
Barter is the direct exchange of goods. Currency acts as a medium of exchange - an intermediary between the exchange of goods.
It appears that gold and silver were in fact used as media of exchange for some transactions before the invention of coinage. In fact, that use likely motivated the invention of coinage, by putting the medium of exchange in an easily carried, conveniently pre-weighed form with a recognizable mark of authenticity (which in turn created its own issues of counterfeiting and debasement, of course). Coinage is iron age, but circulating media are older, perhaps bronze age. Though I have seen a theory that the use of gold and silver grew out of looting barbarians of the ancient Dark Age wanting to swap their loot for more practical commodities.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It appears that gold and silver were in fact used as media of exchange for some transactions before the invention of coinage.
Yes but not in the Aegean nor in the Middle East during the Bronze Age. It isn't appropriate for a Heroic Age Greek campaign.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-20-2018 at 08:10 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
A good example of a late Bronze Age merchant ship is the one found near Ulu Burun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uluburun_shipwreck
That's a great reference. It's almost exactly the size of the ship in my campaign, and the design is somewhat comparable (I wrote up a sewn-plank vessel built shell first, with a single square sail). And the cargo list is wonderfully miscellaneous.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Flying Toaster

Quote:
That's a great reference. It's almost exactly the size of the ship in my campaign, and the design is somewhat comparable (I wrote up a sewn-plank vessel built shell first, with a single square sail). And the cargo list is wonderfully miscellaneous.
It's what I'm basing the merchant ships in my game off also. There are bundles of adventures in just the cargo.
Flying Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
ravenfish

Even without currency, people recognize that some things are worth more than others. It would be possible in principle to discuss how big a gift or favor one should offer in exchange for passage on ship, even if it would not have been expressed in pieces of silver.

The suggestion of "working one's passage" has attraction, but it occurs to me that a ship has a finite number of oars, and I would assume that it would usually set out already equipped with a man for each (but this is just an assumption- my knowledge here is sadly lacking), so, barring recent death among the crew, there is a limit to what the adventurers can usefully offer in this regard.

EDIT: Although, of course, if you are the GM, nothing is stopping you from having the ship down a number of oarsmen greater than or equal to the size of the party (accidents do happen, after all), and whoever is in charge might well be glad to take on a number of reliable and reasonably skilled men who are going in the same direction and willing to lend a hand.

Last edited by ravenfish; 05-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
Purple Haze

Merchant ships are not rowed. Only warships are rowed. Nobody is getting a berth as an oarsman.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Merchant ships are not rowed. Only warships are rowed. Nobody is getting a berth as an oarsman.
Did we specify what variety of ship was available?

Assuming we are limited to primarily sail-powered ships (of this period), are there any tasks where strong-and-willing-but-not-particularly-nautically-skilled folk would be worth taking on?

If one is desperate to get the PCs a ride, one could have them save the ship's crew (beached for the night) from raiders or somesuch, which would surely be a large enough favor to give them a berth if the ship is already going where they want to go, but it probably wouldn't be a big enough favor to divert the course if their desired destinations don't coincide, and a ship in trouble that just happens to be going exactly where they want might be a bit of a large coincidence to swallow (unless the game is aiming to mimic the mood of epic or traveller's tale, in which case such a coincidence is nearly assured).
Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #19
Prince Charon

Looking at the Bronze Age section of the History of Money article on wikipedia, it seems that commodity money was in use in the general area around that time, at least enough that it's plausible for gaming purposes. No, it doesn't mention Greece or the Mediterranean specifically, but with the amount of trade going on, and how far specific mentions of some form of money predate the Heroic Age, the existence of commodity money in some form seems reasonable, especially if economics is a side issue, and not something that the game will be focusing on.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
DanHoward

Quote:
And the cargo list is wonderfully miscellaneous.
It also closely matches the items that were exchanged as gifts between royalty in the Amarna letters, so it is highly likely that the cargo was not destined for the open market but was headed straight for the palace.