Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Flying Toaster

Default Cost of sea passage at TL1/2

I'm trying to work out it should cost characters to either hire a boat to take them somewhere, or get some space on a ship that is going to their destination. The context is a game set in Heroic age Greece (mycenaean, pre-Trojan war), with a fair amount of island hopping.
I couldn't find any reliable figures anywhere, so I created some out of job wage figures.

Chartering a small vessel (something with maybe 3 crew, enough to fit a couple of passengers, sails & oars) for a 1 day trip, including food costs: $50 per person one way ($80 if the ship is returning to its point of origin without the passengers)

Booking passage on a merchant ship for a 2 day passage, assuming the ship is planning to go there anyway: $30 per person

Do these figures seem at all reasonable?
Flying Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: Cost of sea passage at TL1/2

There was no currency at that time so the only way would be to offer something in barter. You'd need to find out what the ship's owner needs and get it for him. Trade in metals and other precious commodities was directly controlled by the ruler so in order to have access to those products you'd need some sort of personal relationship with the ruling family. But if you had that kind of access you could simply requisition a ship to go wherever you wanted.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-19-2018 at 05:09 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Phantasm

I would probably go with the "will work for passage", by offering to work one of the oars in exchange for passage.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Flying Toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
There was no currency at that time so the only way would be to offer something in barter. You'd need to find out what the ship's owner needs and get it for him. Trade in metals and other precious commodities was directly controlled by the ruler so in order to have access to those products you'd need some sort of personal relationship with the ruling family. But if you had that kind of access you could simply requisition a ship to go wherever you wanted.
I'm doing a bit of handwaviness on that topic to make things a little easier. While not having money, I am still using 'goods of exchange', as from my understanding there was some level of that. An occasional side quest to find the proper barter goods could be fun, though.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

The Egyptian use of currency predates 3000 BC, so the Myceneans would have known and used currency because they traded with the Egyptians, though the currency was units of gold and silver rather than coins. As for the cost of sea travel, I would say that ship travel would cost twice as much as a hotel of the same Status (since a ship is a traveling hotel). Since ships were small, they required crew that were generalists, so you would probably need a couple of skills to work for your passage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Phantasm

"Ship" in those days was commonly a galley. Even if he doesn't have Crewman (Oarsman) at the start of the passage, he'll likely have it by the end of the trip. If he's done this kind of travel in the past, that's good reason to put a point in.

You don't need a ton of GURPS skills to be an oarsman on such a galley. In a lot of ways, Crewman is like Soldier; it can be used as "just enough to do the job".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Purple Haze

If one reads the Mesopotamian cuneiform tablets, most are commercial, many discuss tariffs and taxes, and how to avoid them. They had the functional equivalent of currency.

Galleys are specially constructed warships. Merchant ships bear no resemblance. Merchant ships did not have oarsmen, and could never have afforded them.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Galleys are specially constructed warships. Merchant ships bear no resemblance. Merchant ships did not have oarsmen, and could never have afforded them.
Actually, Harry Turtledove has a four-volume series (originally credited to H.N. Turteltaub) about the voyages of a Greek merchant galley some decades after the death of Alexander. And you can find information on this in Casson's book on ancient Mediterranean seafaring. It's true that you wouldn't use this for bulk cargo; you needed a bigger margin of profit, on commodities that benefited from fast shipping, or from your being able to travel quickly to take advantage of market information.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:47 AM   #9
Flying Toaster

'currency' in the form of weights of precious metals, or other things that had a fixed value, fits my reading. It also seems that some places had a form of representative money - tokens that would let you withdraw a set amount of grain from the city storehouses.
The idea of fast galleys for perishable goods (food? Live animals?) is quite interesting.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:16 AM   #10
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Egyptian use of currency predates 3000 BC, so the Myceneans would have known and used currency because they traded with the Egyptians, though the currency was units of gold and silver rather than coins.
All metal, including precious metals, was traded as a commodity, not a currency. Metal was given as gifts between aristocrats but not used as a currency to conduct financial transactions. Lower social ranks never had access to gold and silver at all. They barely had access to bronze until near the end of the Bronze Age. In addition, there was no such thing as a free market except for basic goods. All commodities deemed to be critical to state security - such as metal and timber reserves - were directly controlled by the ruling family and its bureaucracy. No ship could transport any of these goods without specific permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
If one reads the Mesopotamian cuneiform tablets, most are commercial, many discuss tariffs and taxes, and how to avoid them. They had the functional equivalent of currency.
Paying a percentage of your cargo in the form of fees and taxes is not the same as a currency. It is barter - trade in kind.
Barter is the direct exchange of goods. Currency acts as a medium of exchange - an intermediary between the exchange of goods.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-20-2018 at 04:04 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote