Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #11
Jaware

Default Re: Looking for a way to make a "turns into area cloud" type effect.

I really like the way the swarm part of diffuse looks.

The only issue I am having with it is it says you are to take a concentrate maneuver to break apart, and then another to go back together...

I was wanting something like.

Turn 1: pay cost of power, turn to cloud. Covering entire range.

(Enemies turns they take damage if in cloud)

Turn 2: move (can't do anything else, but able to move through grates etc like swarms can.)

(Enemies turns they take damage if in cloud)

Turn 3: move again as above. End of turn, turn back into a people as the power resolves. (Hopefully not in a wall or drain cause that would suck)
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
Jaware

Another thing about the leech, is I would like to make it work without the will roll to everyone in the area of effect, like an aura with Area Effect, contact agent or whatever, I don't want to have to roll vs will....

I would love for it to work like the vampiric weapon inbunement that way I can keep the dice rolling down a bit...

Last thing I want is to start the turn, and have to roll vs will for 6 or 7 goblins. Then roll damage for 6 or 7 goblins. Then work out how much leech got from 6 Or 7 goblins. Then have them take their turns...

3 turns in a row. It would be rough... And it would eat away game time. I'd like to keep it kinda quick even if it was just a little more cinematic than normal.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
The only issue I am having with it is it says you are to take a concentrate maneuver to break apart, and then another to go back together...
Reduced Time (B108) to reduce the "cast" time to under a second, so it becomes a free action. Then add Maximum Duration (Powers p111) to limit use of the scatter to "less than 30 seconds" -- in this case, 2 sec.

Max Duration also imposes a cooldown of 5 minutes on being able to scatter again. Given that the ability becomes a free action, if you removed the CD then the creature could just re-scatter every 2 seconds. It wouldn't really be a limitation at all. In that case, I'd just leave off the Max Duration and treat it at most as a Quirk ("only scatters for two seconds at at time").
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Malediction rolls vs HT, not Will. Without Malediction, Leech requires grappling, which is not exactly something a cloud of mist is good at.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
Saabre

I would suggest modeling it as a Shapeshift/Alternate Form. Part of the new template could be an increase to SM making him take up multiple hexes. Just add Reduced Time to the shapechange. I think 5 levels would make it a free action, but could be wrong.
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Reduced Time (B108) to reduce the "cast" time to under a second, so it becomes a free action. Then add Maximum Duration (Powers p111) to limit use of the scatter to "less than 30 seconds" -- in this case, 2 sec.
Alright. This makes sense to me now.... And I am assuming that it will be their turn will be taken to "scatter" instead of to cast correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Max Duration also imposes a cooldown of 5 minutes on being able to scatter again. Given that the ability becomes a free action, if you removed the CD then the creature could just re-scatter every 2 seconds. It wouldn't really be a limitation at all. In that case, I'd just leave off the Max Duration and treat it at most as a Quirk ("only scatters for two seconds at at time").
Allllrrriiiggghhtttt, I see now, I see.

I was thinking it would impose the cool down on the ability itself, keeping the character from using the ability to become a cloud again.

Last edited by Jaware; 03-15-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #17
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Malediction rolls vs HT, not Will. Without Malediction, Leech requires grappling, which is not exactly something a cloud of mist is good at.
Yea I know it does, I was using it as an example.

I would like a no roll required part for that. Sort of like how inbuements work. Maybe some form or reliable or cosmic no roll could work
Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #18
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I was thinking it would impose the cool down on the ability itself, keeping the character from using the ability to become a cloud again.
That's what Takes Recharge (5 seconds) would do, along with the Reduced Duration 1/20 (found in Psionic Powers).
Old 03-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
I would suggest modeling it as a Shapeshift/Alternate Form. Part of the new template could be an increase to SM making him take up multiple hexes. Just add Reduced Time to the shapechange. I think 5 levels would make it a free action, but could be wrong.
Yea the alternate form was what I was going to use. Then have the price of alternate form paid via energy kinda like a spell.

I didn't think of increasing the SM. That may be an easy way to tweak it. Only thing would be making it not a solid, that way other characters would still be able to walk through or take up space within the occupied hexes.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Yea I know it does, I was using it as an example.

I would like a no roll required part for that. Sort of like how inbuements work. Maybe some form or reliable or cosmic no roll could work
Nope, can't remove the resistance roll, and can't Imbue an Innate Attack. The GM can always use "roll once for everybody" or "everybody rolls a 12" for groups of opponents, though.

Quote:
Yea the alternate form was what I was going to use. Then have the price of alternate form paid via energy kinda like a spell.

I didn't think of increasing the SM. That may be an easy way to tweak it. Only thing would be making it not a solid, that way other characters would still be able to walk through or take up space within the occupied hexes.
Diffuse with Swarm still allows others to pass through you. It's your choice of putting it on the main character sheet, or, buying an Alternate Form with it.

Tags
advantages, aoe, help needed, leech, powers