Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
Otaku

Default Re: Reworking IQ-based advantages

Given the last few posts, I am a bit more confident in this approach now, as the lack of critical successes or failures really does become a feature and not a flaw. At least in certain cases; traits either work or don't so extremely low success rates aren't as big of a drawback for the PC's and extremely high ones are less likely to short circuit the adventure.

Now I am contemplating traits like Intuition that normally carry penalties or bonuses to the roll; without critical success or failure, perhaps such success roll modifiers would simply need re-interpretation. Figure out what should be the baseline, and then how much of a bonus results in rolling against the next higher activation number, and how much of a penalty means rolling against the next lowest (or allowing no roll at all).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
dataweaver

Isn't “Sensitive” the same as “Empathy”, but with a lower target number? Under this setup, I'd ditch Sensitive.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

My thoughts:

I don't like having 9 as the default activation number for rollable yes-or-no effects. I prefer 12. But Allies already work on a 9- as the default number, so it seems hard to argue for a 12-.

I'm not quite comfortable with the fact that for some traits, "roll to use, failure means it does nothing" is the default, while for others, Requires Roll is a limitation. This is similar to the Always On complaint about Invisibility. But I admit that homogenizing them would be a difficult undertaking, and is likely to have other drawbacks.

I think switching an activation number to an attribute should remain an option for most such traits. E.g. Danger Sense should definitely be Perception-able, even though it works just fine with an activation number too; it definitely can also work with no roll required, to represent some character concepts (e.g. Solar Exalted, albeit in their case it has an ER Cost).
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I don't like having 9 as the default activation number for rollable yes-or-no effects. I prefer 12. But Allies already work on a 9- as the default number, so it seems hard to argue for a 12-.
Not to me it doesn't. An actual innate character power that works less than 50% of the time just sounds pathetic and stupid. And those advantages are presumably currently costed on the theory that they'll be used with PC-level attributes, which will likely usually be closer to 12 than to 9.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
whswhs

Doing this sort of thing with IQ-based advantages seems awfully arbitrary. There are significant numbers of advantages that call for rolls vs. DX, HT, or Per, after all, and the same arguments seem to apply to them. Why stop halfway?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #16
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Doing this sort of thing with IQ-based advantages seems awfully arbitrary. There are significant numbers of advantages that call for rolls vs. DX, HT, or Per, after all, and the same arguments seem to apply to them. Why stop halfway?
One step at a time.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I've been thinking about reworking IQ-based advantages like Common Sense and Intuition to a "frequency of appearance"-based model, like that used for Allies and Patron. Instead of rolling against IQ you roll against a target number, and modify the cost of the advantage accordingly.

Following the model for Allies and Patron, this would mean

Common Sense (6) costs 10x1/2=5 points
Common Sense (9) costs 10x1=10 points
Common Sense (12) costs 10x2=20 points
Common Sense (15) costs 10x3=30 points

Maybe some other progression - 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2 would be better. In any case, automatic success is not available; nor is Cosmic: No Die Roll Required.

Thoughts
It makes Common Sense too expensive. It's already not a very appealing trait. Me, I'm inclined to not roll for Common Sense.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It makes Common Sense too expensive. It's already not a very appealing trait. Me, I'm inclined to not roll for Common Sense.
That might be because Common Sense - as priced and described by RAW - is too expensive. My reasoning is that a lot of what it does ought to be covered by a combination of PC IQ, role-playing, and GM courtesy.

So... what about for other traits? I apologize if I seem pushy; I just really want to know as decoupling certain traits from basic stats or secondary characteristics seems like a natural evolution of the game to me. Me being wrong is hardly a rarity, so it is better for me to find out now. XD
Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
That might be because Common Sense - as priced and described by RAW - is too expensive. My reasoning is that a lot of what it does ought to be covered by a combination of PC IQ, role-playing, and GM courtesy.

So... what about for other traits? I apologize if I seem pushy; I just really want to know as decoupling certain traits from basic stats or secondary characteristics seems like a natural evolution of the game to me. Me being wrong is hardly a rarity, so it is better for me to find out now. XD
I don't have a problem with more or less realistic Intuition being based on IQ. I do have a problem with the task difficulty modifier which needs to be reworked since it's when you have a thousand different options that you really want to be a good guesser.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #20
sjard
Stick in the Mud

<Moderator>
A reminder to keep things civil.

The game police won't bust down your door if you decide to modify or houserule something.

Thank you.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages