Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #41
blacksmith

Default Re: Weapon Master Broadsword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Why assume it was wielded with two-handed sword skill? If the legends are accurate, Musashi used a quarterstaff in his first duel with a samurai, not a sword.

IMO, if any historical figure should have the full-blown 'every weapon' version of Weapon Mastery, Musashi's one of them.
Because people seem to think that he wielded it as a sword?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #42
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What I said here still applies. The essential bit: Minor variations in size, number of edges, and so on don't matter. Weapon Master (Foo) encompasses anything with "foo" in the name. So Weapon Master (Broadsword) includes anything named "broadsword" for just 20 points. As a GM, I'd also include any balanced, Reach 1 weapon capable of swing cutting damage that's covered by the Broadsword skill: cavalry saber, backsword, etc.
Thank you for the information, doctor. It seems that I have to correct my previous statements. However, it's difficult to interpret the phrase "One specific weapon" on p. B99 as actually meaning a specific group of weapons covered by one combat skill.

I think all the confusions arise because of the usage of the word "broadsword": it can mean either a skill name or a weapon name. To clarify:
  • Weapon Master (My Father's Broadsword): The sole weapon in the campaign. 15 points.

• Weapon Master (One Specific Weapon: Broadsword): Covers anything with "broadsword" in the name. Also includes any balanced, Reach-1 weapon capable of swing cutting damage that's covered by the Broadsword skill: cavalry saber, backsword, etc. 20 points.

• Weapon Master (Small Class: Anything used with Broadsword skill): Encompasses swords and sticks covered by Broadsword skill. 30 points.

• Weapon Master (Medium Class: All swords): Any weapon identified as a knife, sword, or fencing weapon. Includes a bokken (because it is still identified as a sword), but doesn't include sticks like jo, light clubs, table legs, etc. 35 points.
Are the description above right?

Further, if I buy a Weapon Master that encompasses weapons classified into one specific entry in the Weapon Tables (e. g., Weapon Master (Late Katana)), how much does it cost?
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #43
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What I said here still applies. The essential bit: Minor variations in size, number of edges, and so on don't matter. Weapon Master (Foo) encompasses anything with "foo" in the name. So Weapon Master (Broadsword) includes anything named "broadsword" for just 20 points. As a GM, I'd also include any balanced, Reach 1 weapon capable of swing cutting damage that's covered by the Broadsword skill: cavalry saber, backsword, etc.
So if a character in my game wants to be a Weapon Master with a Bastard Sword, what WM version do they need to take to get WM benefits using it one AND two handed?

Last edited by Jeminai; 08-05-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Jeminai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #44
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
So if a character in my game wants to be a Weapon Master with a Bastard Sword, what WM version do they need to take to get WM benefits using it one AND two handed?
If a weapon falls within your Weapon Mastery, it works regardless of what skill you're using it with.

So WM: Bastard Sword [20] works. I don't know whether that would include any weapons other than Bastard Swords and Thrusting Bastard Swords.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #45
Dinadon

Quote:
The cheapest one, one specific weapon. It will definitely cover all entries listed as Bastard Sword under Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword. This was mentioned in the first reply, but the topic then diverged rather rapidly.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #46
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Further, if I buy a Weapon Master that encompasses weapons classified into one specific entry in the Weapon Tables (e. g., Weapon Master (Late Katana)), how much does it cost?
If you, as a GM, want to allow it (which there is really not reason not to), it should clearly cost between 15-20 points, or an average of 17.5. Since point costs round up, it would cost 18 points.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #47
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Weapon Master (One Specific Weapon: Broadsword): Covers anything with "broadsword" in the name. Also includes any balanced, Reach-1 weapon capable of swing cutting damage that's covered by the Broadsword skill: cavalry saber, backsword, etc. 20 points.
Except cavalry saber and backsword do not have the word "broadsword" in the name!

Also, charging 20 points for "bow," covering everything with the word "bow" in the name (except, of course, "crossbow"), is fine. And charging 35 points for "sword," covering everything with the word "sword" in the name, is fine. Both values make sense to me. But we still clearly don't have a strict rule.

This might have to elude a strict definition. I think "one distinctive weapon, and any other weapon similar enough that, in the GM's view, it's used in exactly the same way," might have to be as good as it gets.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
blacksmith

Quote:
If someone has WM:Naginata, they can use it with the pole arm skill, the two handed sword skill or the staff skill and are still a weapon master with it.

If they have WM:Kusarigama then they can use it as a kusari and a kama at the same time with both skills.

If it has a hand to hand and thrown form you get WM with both as well, so you could get WM:spear with the spear skill the staff skill and the thrown weapons spear skill.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, weapon master