Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Concentrate vs. Concentrate Maneuver

In Spells, the description of spells sometimes says that the caster has to concentrate to get something done, as with Sandstorm, Rider Within, and Control Person as well as Sanctuary, Wizard Eye, and Light.

The way concentrate is described for the first three, it sounds like it's the same as a Concentrate maneuver, which is explicitly needed for Simple Illusion and Hail, while with the latter three it sounds like it could be something less than a Concentrate maneuver.

Could I assume that those that not explicitly call for a Concentrate maneuver don't need it? And that you could choose some other maneuver while concentrating? And that this "lesser" concentrate indicate that you get the -3 penalty to cast another spell rather than the standard -1 penalty?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Concentrate vs. Concentrate Maneuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
In Spells, the description of spells sometimes says that the caster has to concentrate to get something done, as with Sandstorm, Rider Within, and Control Person as well as Sanctuary, Wizard Eye, and Light.

The way concentrate is described for the first three, it sounds like it's the same as a Concentrate maneuver, which is explicitly needed for Simple Illusion and Hail, while with the latter three it sounds like it could be something less than a Concentrate maneuver.

Could I assume that those that not explicitly call for a Concentrate maneuver don't need it? And that you could choose some other maneuver while concentrating? And that this "lesser" concentrate indicate that you get the -3 penalty to cast another spell rather than the standard -1 penalty?
lots of assumptions there. I personally would assume that concentrate = concentrate manouver. Meaning that you cant control the spells if grappled, suffocating, retching, etc.

Last edited by D10; 10-04-2017 at 02:18 PM.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
lots of assumptions there. I personally would assume that concentrate = concentrate manouver. Meaning that you can control it if grappled, suffocating, retching, etc.
I'm making no assumptions. I'm just trying to figure out why the wording is different.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
I'm making no assumptions. I'm just trying to figure out why the wording is different.
Well, I havent seen the finished DFRPG product, but the wording on magic has always been quirky, it wouldnt surprise me if they intended concentrate maneouver and just wrote concentrate.

Besides, I have never heard of a lesser concentrate, and dont know where you got that from. Do you mean the rules for when you are holding a missile spell and want to concentrate another spell at -3 ? I think you need a perk for that as well, but might be different in DF.

I hope someone with better info can help you, as im just throwing my 2 cents, and they arent worth much
Old 10-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Besides, I have never heard of a lesser concentrate, and dont know where you got that from. Do you mean the rules for when you are holding a missile spell and want to concentrate another spell at -3 ? I think you need a perk for that as well, but might be different in DF.
Holding a missile spell requires no concentration.

Casting and growing it does, but once you've finished those things the missile is no more distracting than anything else you might be holding in your hand.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

On page 11 of Spells, under the Casting Spells While Maintaining Other Spells heading, you get a -3 penalty per spell you are concentrating on and a -1 per other spell you have on.

That's where I'm getting the "lesser" concentrate from, to call it something to explicitly differentiate it from the Concentrate maneuver.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Holding a missile spell requires no concentration.

Casting and growing it does, but once you've finished those things the missile is no more distracting than anything else you might be holding in your hand.
Never said holding the missile requires concentration, just that casting a spell while you are holding it has a penalty attached to it.

Last edited by D10; 10-04-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: much about nothing
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Never said holding the missile requires concentration, just that casting a spell while you are holding it has a penalty attached to it.
Sorry, I should have clarified: You cannot cast other spells while holding missile spells. There is no penalty for concentrating on another spell whilst holding a missile spell. You just have to have already cast the other spell before the missile spell.

Some spells only require concentration in order to grow or move them, for example Windstorm.

You cast it and then concentrate for as long as it takes to get up to the size you want (1 turn per yard radius). Then it simply lasts (as long as you maintain it). If you want to move it you have to concentrate.

So you could, for example, cast Windstorm. Then whilst growing it, cast another spell. Or move it while casting another spell.

The perk from Thaumatology Magical Styles does not exist in DFRPG.

And yeah Dragondog, pretty sure 'concentrate maneuver' and 'concentrate' are the same thing, just one is spelling out that you have to use the maneuver, the other is not. And occasionally someone might be allowed to concentrate on multiple things (generally different spells or powers that are already active and one more that is being activated). There is generally no roll to concentrate on an active spell or power.

There is no 'lesser' concentrate, it's just spelling out that (probably) doing the 'lesser' while also concentrating on something else won't interrupt each other (baring a failed casting/activation roll).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And yeah Dragondog, pretty sure 'concentrate maneuver' and 'concentrate' are the same thing, just one is spelling out that you have to use the maneuver, the other is not. And occasionally someone might be allowed to concentrate on multiple things (generally different spells or powers that are already active and one more that is being activated). There is generally no roll to concentrate on an active spell or power.

There is no 'lesser' concentrate, it's just spelling out that (probably) doing the 'lesser' while also concentrating on something else won't interrupt each other (baring a failed casting/activation roll).
That's what I was trying to figure out.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Tom H.

Good topic.

I would agree with the conclusions here.

Also on p. 11 of Spells the following section should be the rules evidence to clear this up:

Concentration and Maintenance

"You can maintain a spell without concentration unless it requires constant manipulation and change; e.g., to maneuver a levitating object. Spells like that require you to take the Concentrate maneuver only. . . ."

But yeah, it necessarily happens a lot that plain words are overloaded with GURPS significance. Don't get me started on power or ability. It may help if a term is italicized every time it is used when it refers to a specific game definition.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote