Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #21
Donny Brook

Default Re: The guide to throat slitting (or sentry removal, for the gentlemen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Doesn't Martial Arts have this?
Seemingly not. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #22
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
Thank you!

Indeed I've read quite a few of those threads, and pulled many suggestions from them. I wanted to create a thread that says right on the OP what you need to do.

True enough, but I'd say that it isn't exactly a swing either. Tip Slash is the official rule that is the closest to this, I think. Maybe a less severe damage penalty? Maybe only -1, since your dagger is quite deep in the unfornate person's throat.....
Its an interesting one because yeah you're right sawing away at some poor chaps throat form the inside isn't really a combat move that's much like either attack mode on in the tables. Given its definitely Cut and given how bad it's going to be, I'd be happy just call it the usual Sw cut mode.

Ultimately there's not much overall difference in damage done here thanks to Cut getting more of a boost than Imp due to the location bonus

Say we have a ST10 gent with a Large knife

Thr imp is 1d-2 x2.5,

Sw -2 cut is also 1d-2 x2.5

Now as ST increases this will change.

Anyway I do recommend looking at Technical Grappling if you are interested in this (and some suggestions have already been made). But ultimately we're talking about grabbing the target and doing damage as quick as possible to sensitive areas to incapacitate them faster than they can meaningfully react to you. And your solution will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Seemingly not. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.
It doesn't. This has come up in decapitation threads. There seems to have been a concious decision not to treat the neck like a limb in terms of crippling and destroyed/dismemberment thresholds.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-16-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #23
Donny Brook

So there's part of what makes sentry removal a rules challenge in GURPS -- neck/throat durability. As a house rule, I might consider 1/2 HT loss to the neck from the front to cripple the voice, and full HT loss to crush the larynx and trigger suffocation.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So there's part of what makes sentry removal a rules challenge in GURPS -- neck/throat durability. As a house rule, I might consider 1/2 HT loss to the neck from the front to cripple the voice, and full HT loss to crush the larynx and trigger suffocation.
Also, people with cut throats can still make plenty of incoherent noise. After studying Martial Arts: Fairbairn Close Combat Systems a bit, I concluded that the easier way under GURPS was AoA (Double) for a Telegraphic grapple to the jaw (net +1 to hit) and a stab to the vitals, which are easier to hit than the neck locations.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Also, people with cut throats can still make plenty of incoherent noise. After studying Martial Arts: Fairbairn Close Combat Systems a bit, I concluded that the easier way under GURPS was AoA (Double) for a Telegraphic grapple to the jaw (net +1 to hit) and a stab to the vitals, which are easier to hit than the neck locations.
Vitals also come with a nice knock down penalty on major wounds, which the neck location doesn't.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
Donny Brook

My understanding, though I don't have the rules reference for It, is that the grappler has the option of declaring he is covering g the mouth.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #27
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't understand the point of grappling the jaw. What advantage does that have?
My take on it is the jaw has the mouth, which you want to cover also grappling the neck means your arm is in the way of the knife strike. Pulling the jaw and head up leaves the neck exposed and the bone out of the way. Having the neck extended means there is less resistance for the knife to deal with as well. You also don't have to change grip to break the neck either.*

*I manage a farm and cut throats in the course of my work, doing so efficiently, quickly and with a minimum of distress to the animal is a useful skill to have.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #28
corwyn

Quote:
We just use the pulp-like knockout maneuver from Action - hit to the skull, penalized HT roll or unconscious.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #29
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Problem with vitals is: it usually has more protection than the neck.
In a low-tech setting, guards will probably have like 4~6 DR on the chest, and 0 on the neck.

Of course, if you target is unarmored, it is better to do two stabs to the vitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't understand the point of grappling the jaw. What advantage does that have?
Actually it is a Choke Hold. Somewhere, in one of the books (I think Fairbarn's, though I'm not entirely sure), there is a rule that says when you Choke Hold you can silence your victim.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #30
Tomsdad

Quote:
Problem with vitals is: it usually has more protection than the neck.
In a low-tech setting, guards will probably have like 4~6 DR on the chest, and 0 on the neck.

Maybe but Gorgets, aventails etc. Also stuff like stiffened/reinforced collars to ward of garrottes etc. People have been sneaking up on each other and doing horrible things to necks for a long time, so people were aware of the risk of it.

Quote:
Actually it is a Choke Hold. Somewhere, in one of the books (I think Fairbarn's, though I'm not entirely sure), there is a rule that says when you Choke Hold you can silence your victim.
Yep, but it doesn't have to be a choke hold (going by Fairbarn's) Both the:

Number 13 Sentry Hold:

and

Number 28 Use of the Knife

Make the same point about holding the mouth closed, the former is a choke hold, but the latter is a grapple to the face

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-17-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Tags
fairbairn, hit location, neck, sentry removal