Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IC] Lost in Dreams (Chandra)

The door creaked open, and Chandra sees a very small well-tanned woman sitting on a bed by an electrical outlet, reading a book, and holding something that looks something like a battery. The sense clearly indicates the outlet is the source of what-ever Chandra is sensing, and the battery-thing is the end-point. The Woman looks sharply up as Chandra cracks the door, her face a mixture of anger and surprise.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #42
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

"Oh!" Chandra takes a step back, blushing furiously beneath her dark skin. Part of her chagrin is real -- the English-learned desire not to invade one's privacy -- but part is a hasty cover while her mind spins, memorizing the appearance of the odd battery and thinking what to do next. How much to admit?

"I'm so terribly sorry," she says. "I was feeling a little light-headed and ... well, this place still turns me around when I try to navigate."

(Acting roll: 8. Reaction roll (if used by GM): 14 +2 for modifiers from Charisma and Appearance =16.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The woman scowls heavily at chandra, obviously expecting her to close the door and get out.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #44
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Woman is dressed in the cadet uniform.
The Battery is not familiar in either her reading or experience.
The book is not immediately familiar but resembles a large text book.
The room is immaculately clean, which may be of note.
The flow stopped immediately when the woman noticed Chandra.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #45
Rocket Man

Is there anything else distinctive about the woman herself that Chandra has noticed in these first few seconds? Does the immaculate room look like it's been used at all, or just that it's been well cared-for? Are there any personal touches in the room to suggest that anyone normally lives here?

"...Right, then," Chandra says uncomfortably when the silence lingers. "I'll just ... be going now. Sorry to have bothered you ..."

She steps out of the room and closes the door carefully. Once she's away, she tries to find somewhere unobtrusive to keep an eye on the door, in case the woman looks out to check on her 'guest.' Once Chandra has a safe place to monitor the situation, she texts Smith about what just happened -- including the odd situation she felt and how it ceased when the battery was deactivated.

Could this have been some sort of communicator? she asks. Do 'jumpers' commonly feel these sorts of energies?

She almost adds a reminder to delete the message after reading, but holds back at the last minute. He seems like a smart individual. He can figure it out.

And if not, she can make him sorry he was ever born on this or any other Earth.

ADD: If there's any kind of "class directory" for the academy, she will look up who's supposed to be living in this particular room.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #46
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Chandra can't tell if the room is lived in: its well within the parameters of being either real or faked. The sleeping room-mate is a good indication, but that can of course be faked. But if so this person is very good.

There isn't much else to notice: her height is distinctive, and she's frail even beyond that, but nothing that tells Chandra anything about what is going on.

Smith doesn't seem to be quite sure what's going on: "Have you felt anything else like this before? Are you sure you felt it? Just stay out of trouble. We can look at that later."

Chandra goes to some effort to figure out who is supposed to live in the room. She finds out easily: Haley Broam, of Atlanta USA. Its the tiny girl who was using the battery. She's at least as legit as Chandra herself.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #47
Rocket Man

Having gone this far, Chandra decides she may as well go a little further. If she can do so discreetly, she checks on Haley's current classes ... And to see whether the Academy has anything on psychic abilities.

It sounds insane, she thinks as she starts the latter. But then, so did other Earths not too long ago. And it gives her something to think about besides the alternative: that the battery is generating some sort if dangerous radiation.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #48
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Classes aren't public knowledge in any way. Indeed, attendance isn't even that formal. The only way to check on her class schedule would be to have someone follow her to them.

Chandra looks to see if they have any classes on the paranormal. They do -- kind of. The classes aren't actually about the paranormal, they are about dealing and competing with the paranormal. It isn't general either, but quite specific about different capabilities. There are two courses, and both require the permission of the instructor to enter. There are monthly general lectures anyone can go to, but the next one won't be for three weeks.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #49
Rocket Man

When she gets back into the Chandras' room for "shift change," she asks Gopal about what she saw, including whether she or any of her friends knows Haley.

"It just felt so strange -- like I could feel the energy that battery was using inside my head," Morgan says, while passing on information from classes and the day. "I've never felt anything quite like it. She looked like she belonged, of course, but then so do I."

"I hate to make a further imposition, but could you and the boys help me keep an eye on the meal hall for her? If I know when Haley eats, at least I can make a proper apology to her." And maybe find out a little more, once she's less angry, Morgan thinks to herself.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

None of Chandra's immediate contacts know Haley Broam by anything but reputation and face. She's been at the academy the entire time, and has another girl sharing her room.

Gopper: "If she's an interloper, its most likely she came in legitimate. As we've been experiencing, its very hard to get on or off this world. But I'm still not convinced of what you felt. you've never felt it before? Thats the first thing that makes me concerned. But I'll keep an eye out."

Smith: "Meanwhile, you probably need to keep your head down a little better. You have a lot more to fear from close inspection than most of us. We'll look into it though."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Classes are normalizing, and she continues to hang out with So. The people he associates with are headed for either high-tech or far-parallel worlds and their analysis. Chandra sticks out a little, but not too much.

That night she dreams of ground sloths knocking down trees, and of sabertooth tigers hunting massive beasts she recognizes from museums but couldn't name (some sort of rhinos?)

The next morning is a sunday. Classes are slowed down, religious services are held, and there is just a general break. Haley Broams schedule has not been picked up yet, though Chandra could easily tail her in the morning. for a week-end, things are pretty tame: there isn't much music or booze (though there is some).

Tags
lost in dreams