Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #51
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IC] Lost in Dreams [Paedrig ]

The books contain information about the following:

How to prepare a corpse to be a walker. Aides perform this, the ambulator plays a different role.
How to repair corpses to remain functional after debilitating injury. This most commonly means after the foot has been blown off by a mine, and once again, the ambulator plays a different role.
The theory and tactics behind using walkers in modern warfare. This book seems to be written by some military strategist, and someone has scribbled critical remarks throughout the book like 'unless you hit a deambulator'. This is the role of officers though, not ambulators.
The history of ambulators, both organizations and their craft. One book seems to be written with the agenda of making ambulators seen as an advance, and also as scientific. A different book seems more focused on the achievement, and on portraying ambulators as heroes. It also focuses on how the only way to counter walkers was with more walkers and explored the moral dilema of ambulators.
A pamphlet on how one can be both a Christian and an ambulator.
A book on taking care of 'Injuries and Conditions Common to Ambulators'. Just glancing over it makes it quite apparent that something happens to your skin.

As a note, he has only skimmed a few pages of these books to find this out.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #52
Dar_Kwan

Having glanced through the books, Paedrig decides to read the Pamphlet on being both a Christian and an Ambulator and then the book 'Injuries and Conditions Common to Ambulators' until he falls asleep...

In the morning he reports to the field as ordered...
I wonder what this day will entail... can't be any weirder than waking up in a strange world
Dar_Kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #53
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The pamphlet seems based on a couple of ideas:
a fairly generic piece about the 'eternal dilemma' of Christianity and war
an examination of witch craft, both in the bible and in tradition
a very forceful assertion that ambulators don't do any of the traditional deeds of witches. This part is particuarly vigorous that the ceremonies performed are NOT witchcraft, emphasing the role the devil plays in tradition.
the view that the art is no more evil that the act of shooting a gun.
A caution to not loose faith under the stress of war and the feeling of power from having such a central role.

The book on medical conditions reveals some interesting facts
Your skin becomes pale, pasty, more vulnerable to sunburn, rashes, and just about every irritation their is. While various remedies are recommended, the basic suggestion is to wear adequate clothing.
Working with corpses so often presents severe infection hazards. Many precautions are described, including warnings about the new and sensitive skin.
Certain chemicals react differently to an ambulator's body. You will become quite allergic to coffee and other forms of caffeine, the suggestion being to avoid them, and an assurance that going without will not bother you.

Paedrig's next dream was much more vivid. The battlefield was similar, as were the events, but this time, the dream centered around a man facing the walkers. He carried a several pistols and a sword. a small group of soldiers clustered around him. The walkers headed for the soldiers near him, but never for the man himself. They attacked and responded to the attacks of others, but never him. And unlike the others, his bullets put the walkers down, regardless of how much damage was done. but he moved cautiously. A group of living soldiers were mixed in with the walkers, trying to assault the walker-killer. and his soldiers worried less about the corpses and more about protecting their guardian from harm. They did a good job, but it all ended with a shell that ended the game for the man. at least paedrig assumed that. the shell ended the dream as well.

The next morning Paedrig met with 22 others at the specified field. Most of his fellow trainees were youths, 16 and 17 year old boys and girls. There are two other men of military age: one well dressed, and the other obviously some industrial worker.

OCC: I would give more, but time! ....

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #54
Dar_Kwan

Woah, two strange dreams in two nights... wonder if that guy who was killing the walkers was on our side or theirs?? must try remember to speak to Master Carpenter about it... or someone else if I don't see him again...

Whilst they await instruction Paedrig will try and strike up a conversation with the two older guys, see if they have anything in common, besides being drafted, or if they can possibly give him any more details about what he might expect...
Dar_Kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #55
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The well dressed man turns out to be some sort of gunnery engineer. He worked for the navy even before the war started, and they kept him (working at a hard pace) throughout it. He has mixed feelings about being 'transferred' but figures there is little point in worrying. His name is ethan worthing.

The worker is a steel worker, who seems to feel very out of place among all the others. His name is hyrum miller, and he regards himself as the only real man on that field.

Tags
lost in dreams