Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Dueling Halberds: one skill 2 hd but two 1 hd?

When trying to decide on a good war weapon for my 9 foot giant, I looked at the dueling halberd.
My guy's strong enough to wield it one handed without problem, but that seems like it would switch it from one Polearm skill to Spear and Axe/Mace.
Anyone else think that that is a sing of Polearms being an atypically broad skill.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Dueling Halberds: one skill 2 hd but two 1 hd?

If you take a regular axe and put a spear point on it, do you need to use Spear skill to stab with it?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't know. Why wouldn't you?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If you take a regular axe and put a spear point on it, do you need to use Spear skill to stab with it?
Following this line of thought, are there thrusting attacks for any weapons listed under Axe/Mace skill?

If so, there's a precedent for using Axe/Mace for stabbing.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

But if adding a spear point to an axe allows one to use Axe/Mace skill to poke with it, then why wouldn't adding an axe head to a spear allow using it with Spear skill to swing with?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But if adding a spear point to an axe allows one to use Axe/Mace skill to poke with it, then why wouldn't adding an axe head to a spear allow using it with Spear skill to swing with?
Because then it would be a Polearm. The Melee Weapon skill describes the Polearm skill as covering "Any very long, unbalanced pole weapon with a heavy striking head" while Spear skill is described as covering "Any long, balanced pole weapon with a thrusting point."

If you add an axe head, it becomes unbalanced and has a heavy striking head.

This is why I ask "do any existing axe weapons use thrust attacks?" Because if so, then the Axe/Mace skill would also cover poking.

The other question is generally, what other skill would you use for poking with an axe? I know with a pollaxe used one-handed Spear fits better than anything else does, so use that even though it's not a perfect fit, but what about short axes in general?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

That interpretation would make Polearm include one handed use as well as all axes, maces, etc. causing to be even more expansive of a skill.
And still not solving my issue of it covering what's at least two skills for one handed use.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
jason taylor

How many halberdiers would have studied the craft intensively? It is after all a commoners weapon and while there would certainly be lore handed about there would not be many masters to find. On the other hand you can find masters in other commoner's weapons.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #9
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That interpretation would make Polearm include one handed use as well as all axes, maces, etc. causing to be even more expansive of a skill.
And still not solving my issue of it covering what's at least two skills for one handed use.
Not remotely. I can't find anything ambiguous in my post to explain quite such a big misunderstanding as appears to have taken place. However, Basic Set page 208 has the Melee Weapons skills and how they are divided if you want to find clearer criteria to distinguish between them.

Personally I think wielding a duelling halberd in one hand (ways it was never intended to be used) should not be straightforward, so using 2 skills seems appropriate to me. But if this isn't helping you I'll not bother you further.

Last edited by Railstar; 09-13-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
hal

Just to add a thought...

Using a poleaxe technique requires the use of two hands/arms correct? If one uses it one handed, they aren't using the normal techniques for two hand use. The halberd in effect becomes little more than an ax in this character's hand even though it has the potential to be used as a polearm by a size 0 creature/being. Would you expect a smaller sized humanoid to use a dagger two handed because for it, the dagger is like a two-handed sword, or like a dagger because to size zero humanoids, that is precisely what the weapon is and how it would be used?

In the end, that is a GM call. As a GM, I'd say that using a halberd one handed is not using it with the required two-handed grip necessary to get the best use of the weapon. It will lack the extra leverage gained using 2 hands. For intents and purposes, it becomes a long handled ax with a point on it. And for the record? I've seen reference to an ax being used to poke in a thrusting manner despite it having little in the way of a business end at that point of impact. It becomes largely little more than a hefty club used to jab. People need to realize that even though a sword may be a blunt tipped, there were times using it to thrust made sense. As has been pointed out in other threads, the shield is more than just a defensive contraption, it can be used very offensively, even to the point of using it to knock an opponent's shield out of line enough to force an opening for a follow up attack.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote