Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #801
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
When I read this, I wonder about how constrained duels are. Traditionally, can you use a force buckler or force shield in a duel of force swords? Can you use your psionics (like pushing your opponent out of the rink with your TK)? Are unarmed strikes and grappling allowed?

Luke
Part of the reason I introduced Gaming (Dueling) and mumble about regional differences is to let the GM and player declare stuff on the fly ("Oh, but if there's a TK push, it's not ring out. Didn't you know? You don't study your dueling history, do you"), and because I don't want to write an exhaustive treatise on one tradition for one faction in the galaxy. In the end, what matters is that duels are about honor and that they don't represent the battle field. They definitely have weird, arbitrary rules you can exploit, and they're often more about winning social favor or skirting the law than they are about a true contests of skill.

So, force bucklers? Well, they'll frown on those because watching two guys hide behind shields isn't as fun as watching people flip around, but they are traditional, so I guess we have to allow them. Psionics? You couldn't stop an ESPer from ESPing anyway, and the aristocracy is inherently psionic so they'll naturally want to show their powers off, so of course you can use those (don't like that the TK guy can push you out of the ring? Don't challenge him, or challenge him under conditions that allow a more open field, or argue that he's a coward because he'll just push you out of the ring rather than "facing you like a REAL man" and thus get the rules changed for this fight). Punches, kicks and grappling? Probably against the rules, because then you might mess up someone's nice hairdo and it's not pretty ("What are we? Animals!"), and if it's allowed, it certainly wouldn't earn you any points with the ladies.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #802
Mailanka

Happy GURPS day! Today I wind up my general look at the aristocracy with a last-minute addition: Aristocratic Culture. It's a little long, but I hope you don't mind!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #803
Kalzazz

The one thing it seemed to lack was sports . . . Nobles always seem to sport, fox hunting, polo, falconry, boar hunting, safaris, croquet, shuffleboard, horse jumping, dressage, mountain climbing, sailing etc.

And for Knightly Nobles we need tournaments!

I didn't find it overly long at all, I read and found craving more detail
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #804
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That's really an awesome set of info. Good basic advice on running nobles in general (though it does feel very 18th century). I found myself looking at little miniature scenes at some noble event as I read this, and wondering how to run a full courtly campaign. Good stuff. Thanks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #805
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I didn't find it overly long at all, I read and found craving more detail
That seems to be the consensus on most of the things I find to be "too much," but the problem is always "So what happens when I try to compile all of this into one book?" You're looking at like 300 pages of setting material.

I'll have to find what I need to remove, though I'm starting to get a feel for what people like (explanations, story ideas, hard character mechanics) and what they don't seem interested in (repetitive mechanistic discussions?)

Quote:
it does feel very 18th century
Doubtless informed to my going through a French Revolution podcast.

Thanks, guys, for the feedback

---

It's Patreon Friday! Today I have not one but two posts for you. The first is a meditation on martial arts and the problems of techniques (also, see Gaming Ballistic for further thoughts on that!) as well as a deep look at the aristocratic styles, what makes them unique and what people think about them.

The second is a look at aristocratic martial art secrets, including true lore, attractive flourishes and uselessly dangerous techniques that some arrogant noble might try to use against players.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #806
Kalzazz

I read Ptolus and didn't feel it was to much, and one of my biggest GURPS complaints is 'lack of heft'

I thought you were addressing this issue by compartmentalization so that players had choices to only read what appealed to them?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #807
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I read Ptolus and didn't feel it was to much, and one of my biggest GURPS complaints is 'lack of heft'

I thought you were addressing this issue by compartmentalization so that players had choices to only read what appealed to them?
That will fix some of it, but there's also the matter of how much time I have, and how I should arrange the compartments. It sounds like it's going to end up being a default setting book, and then detailed setting "supplements."
Old 08-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #808
Mailanka

Another twofer!

Today, I have part one of the first House: House Sabine, the masters of Persephone (the home of the Oracular Order), a feminine house known for its mastery of precognition and poison.

Also, based on feedback, a discussion of how to play a blind Sabine.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #809
Mailanka

Today, I offer the second half of House Sabine, where I look at their unique tools and culture, including the Sabine Caress, the posion-blossoms of persephone, and the relics of House Sabine.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #810
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

the damage for dreaming nymph is a little ambiguous, reading only 'd' instead of '1d' or whatever you meant. What 1/2 HP means when you're taking fatigue damage could use some clarification as well.

Those are nasty poisons though. 24 cycles of 1d? scary.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack