Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #831
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Part two on the Neo-Rationalism series, a look at the cultural context of Neo-Rationalism, its history, and its place in the Psi-Wars galaxy.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #832
Mailanka

Part 3 of Neo-Rationalism: The Beliefs of Rationalism, which is a quick run through of the Neo-Rational world-view
Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #833
Mailanka

Part 4 of the series on Neo-Rationalism dives into the culture, symbolism and ceremonies of Neo-Rationalism, including the Rationalist Canon and, of course, Psycho-Analytical Mentorship
Old 09-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #834
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Part 4 of the series on Neo-Rationalism dives into the culture, symbolism and ceremonies of Neo-Rationalism, including the Rationalist Canon and, of course, Psycho-Analytical Mentorship
I love this. It's like a complete parody of science. Like what would happen if the more wild-eyed and visionary futurists hijacked academia.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #835
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
I love this. It's like a complete parody of science. Like what would happen if the more wild-eyed and visionary futurists hijacked academia.

Luke
I'm so very pleased. I needed to walk a fine line between not going full Technocracy "Science is evil!" and I didn't want to turn it into the Machine Cult where everyone is really catholic, but instead use scientific terms, but I still wanted it to be some sort of obvious cargo culting of science.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #836
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I agree that its been particularly well done. Its not evil, just stubborn and wrong in a few important ways.

To me it strongly resembles the resistance Galileo and other early scientists ran into in their own scholarly establishment. "Aristotle established long ago that the sun goes around the earth!" Which is tragically ironic in all the best ways.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 AM   #837
Mailanka

It's Patreon Friday! As promised, I have a document on faith and some ideas how to handle non-psionic religions (or even faith within non-psionic religions) in Psi-Wars, as well as a sample, worked faith inspired by Shepherd Book from Firefly. Available to all $1+ Patrons!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #838
Phantasm

Quote:
It's Patreon Friday! As promised, I have a document on faith and some ideas how to handle non-psionic religions (or even faith within non-psionic religions) in Psi-Wars, as well as a sample, worked faith inspired by Shepherd Book from Firefly. Available to all $1+ Patrons!
Anything inspired by Shepherd Book is worth it, IMO.

Question: are non-Patreons able to read these Patreon posts after a certain amount of time has passed?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #839
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Question: are non-Patreons able to read these Patreon posts after a certain amount of time has passed?
There are, broadly speaking, 4 things I do on my patreon. The high tiers are polls and playtests, which aren't pertinent to your question. $3+ are all previews, which means the stuff I discuss in them is either conceptual, or just something offered in advance (for example, my $3+ Patrons got the total Neo-Rational document up front, while the rest of you are getting it doled out over the week). In principle, all of these will come out eventually in some form or other in the final Psi-Wars documents. The $1+ stuff tend to be general articles, like this discussion of faith-based mechanics, or the previous document on designing your own philosophy. I hadn't had plans on bringing those out to non-patrons. I suppose I could look into it, but I don't expire my documents, so if you pay $1 for a month, you get access to every document I've ever written for $1+, it doesn't feel like something that's really pressing.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #840
lwcamp

Quote:
I'm so very pleased. I needed to walk a fine line between not going full Technocracy "Science is evil!" and I didn't want to turn it into the Machine Cult where everyone is really catholic, but instead use scientific terms, but I still wanted it to be some sort of obvious cargo culting of science.
The thing is, I recognize so much of both the society of scientists themselves (like the conferences and hobnobbing that goes on there), and the fetishization of science among some elements of the geek community (including geek scientists - like the display of the trappings of science stripped of their context, or the elevation of certain figures - Tesla, Feynman, Einstein - to near demigod status. In particular, I wonder what Feynman, who in his life championed the scientific method and rational thought, would have felt about his apotheosis to a trickster figure along the lines of Coyote or Anansi?). Heck, before I became older and more seasoned (or is that jaded?), I was one of those people, so in reading your description I recognize much of my younger self.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack