Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Fantasy] Statting medieval humour-meme creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'd forgotten about that (I think I saw it in a documentary, but it's been a while). Do we have stats for them?

The only relevant part is the poison. Almost all mentions of cone snails in connection with Gurps are by lwcamp (who else), but gurps animalia has no stats for anything aside from vertebrates.

I think we're on our own for statting up the venom. The harpoon... at SM+1 scale... I'm not sure. I think we mostly need base damage and range. I doubt the damage will be that high.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'd forgotten about that (I think I saw it in a documentary, but it's been a while). Do we have stats for them?
Here is the wikipedia article about this snails, beware they can be really deadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_snail

What the article didnīt say as far is I have read, is that you need a special security allowance to research this poisons in the US, because of the possible use as a terror weapon, this is rubbish, because there is no way to produce it in a significant amount and get it into the victim without a injection but says a lot about the potency of the poison. It is for a single sting at least as deadly than a BIG diamond rattle snake.

The range of the radula which carries the reshaped tooth is just around 4-5 inches. But the poison works quickly from the vids Iīve seen in TV.

By the way this is one way to create a dangerous snail, what about one which uses corrosive slime to glide on? That is not so far fetched as it seems a lot of amphibia are secreting substances which work against fungi and bacteria, some of them you better never touch or you have a severe skin problems.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:56 PM   #13
Inky

Partly statted a giant snail and then lost the file, here it is.

Since this is (probably) originally a joke creature, I went for a different "special weapon": the slime is slippery, treat as Grease or Ice Slick spell. The snail itself is immune, that's how snails normally move around. Replace with other things if that fits better, likewise for skills, etc. Also, a snail would usually be expected to have IQ 1, and if you add that it would be a further -180 points - but I haven't put that in this stat block!

As per Basic Set rules, all SMs are 2 higher than they would otherwise be because the creature is more or less as broad as it's long.
Thanks to http://www.rindis.com/blog/3766#more-3766 for the Hard Shell build (it was used there for a Pokemon), and to https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com...-monsters.html for the point value of Grease - I haven't got access to Sorcery.

Giant Snail (6ft long)

ST+0 [0], Move-4 [-20], SM+2 [0]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Legs (Slithers) [0]
Hard Shell 9: DR 9 (Torso Only, -10%) [41]
+ Alternate Advantage: DR 9 (Eyes Also, +5%; Temporary Disadvantage: Quadriplegic, -80%; Temporary Disadvantage: Tunnel Vision, -5%) [2]
Snail Slime: Grease 1 (Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; No Ranged, -40%) [63] - see GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, p. 22.
If the snail has a sword too, add Telekinesis 10 or remove No Manipulators [50 either way].

Total [33] without hands, [83] with hands.

Giant Snail (3ft long)

ST-4 [-40], Move-4 [-20], SM+0 [0]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Legs (Slithers) [0]
Hard Shell 6: DR 6 (Torso Only, -10%) [27]
+ Alternate Advantage: DR 6 (Eyes Also, +5%; Temporary Disadvantage: Quadriplegic, -80%; Temporary Disadvantage: Tunnel Vision, -5%) [2]
Snail Slime: Grease 1 (Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; No Ranged, -40%) [63] - see GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, p. 22.
If the snail has a sword too, add Telekinesis 10 or remove No Manipulators [50 either way].

Total [-18] without hands, [32] with hands.

And this was at the bottom of one of the pages the OP linked to, so here is this. :-D :-D :-D
ST-7 [-70], Move-4 [-20], SM-2 [0]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Legs (Slithers) [0]
Hard Shell 3: DR 3 (Torso Only, -10%) [14]
+ Alternate Advantage: DR 3 (Eyes Also, +5%; Temporary Disadvantage: Quadriplegic, -80%; Temporary Disadvantage: Tunnel Vision, -5%) [1]
Flight [40]

Total [-22] without hands, [28] with hands.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:48 PM   #14
Prince Charon

Well, these are interesting, thank you.

Yeah, especially the rabbit riding a hound and carrying a snail like a hunting-hawk (but the others as well) is probably a joke-meme historically.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:34 PM   #15
seasalt

Man, I think y'all are overthinking it when it comes to how to make the snails able to fight. I think giving it a weapon based on some real species of snail is going to detract from the surreality of it.

Just give them wizardry and let them cast spells.
seasalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, medieval, silly