Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default Characters with 'Power-heavy' builds

Basically, this is a thread for posting characters that have a significant majority of their points in power-related advantages, perks, and skills, whether they are psi-abilities, magic, spiritual, chi, generic 'super' powers, and so on. By 'significant majority' I mean at least two thirds, but preferably more. A 150 point sorceror with 100 points in magic-related advantages and such (probably mostly the Sorcery advantage itself, and Alternate Abilities thereof) would count, as would a 100-point archaeologist who discovered and bonded with a 400-point 'Artifact of the Ancient Aliens.'

Here's an example, previously posted in another thread:

Gregory James van Horne, 'Astral Knight,' 2019

Attributes

ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 9 [-10]

Secondary Characteristics

HP 10; Will 14 [10]; Per 12; FP 12 [9]

Social Background

Languages: 21st Century English (Native) [0].

TL: 8

Cultural Familiarity: 21st Century Western [0].

Subtotal: 49

Advantages

Absolute Timing [2]
Eidetic Memory [5]
Less Sleep 1 [2]

Astral Armor 10 [30]
Astral Celerity 6 [36]
Astral Projection Talent 1 [5]
Astral Sight 3 [13]
Astral Sword 3 [20]
Astral Travel (Uncontrollable, -10%) 6 [72]
Protected Power (Astral Projection) [5]

Perks

Near-Death Projection. [1]
Retractable Cord. [1]
Skill Conversion: Astral Movement based on IQ. [1]
Skill Conversion: Astral Sword based on IQ. [1]
Subjective Navigator. [1]

Subtotal: 191

Disadvantages

Compulsive Snooping (12) [-5]
Enemies (Hostile astral entities; small group, about as powerful, rarely all appear at once; Hunters; 9 or less) [-20]
Secret (Identity) [-10]
Social Stigma (Minor) [-5]

Quirks

Big X-Men fan. [-1]
Cat person. [-1]
Delusion ('I am a mutant'). [-1]
Likes redheads. [-1]
Hates anchovies. [-1]

Subtotal: -45

Features

Skills

Animal Handling (Felines) [IQ/A] [1] 11
Area Knowledge (Inner Astral Plane) [IQ/E] [1] 12
Astral Lore [IQ/A] [1] 11
Bicycling [DX/E] [1] 10
Computer Operation/TL8 [IQ/E] [1] 12
Currant Affairs (Paranormal) [IQ/E] [1] 12
Expert Skill (Psionics) [IQ/H] [2] 11
First Aid/TL8 [IQ/E] [1] 12
Hobby Skill (X-Men) [IQ/E] [2] 13
Housekeeping [IQ/E] [1] 12
Literature (Comic Books) [IQ/H] [1] 10
Research [IQ/A] [2] 12

Astral Armor [Will/H] [1] 13*
Astral Movement [IQ/H] [4] 13*
Astral Sight [Per/H] [2] 12*
Astral Sword [IQ/H] [2] 12*
Astral Travel [IQ/H] [8] 14*

* Includes +1 from Astral Projection Talent.

Techniques

Astral Crossing (H) Astral Travel-8 [9] 14
Cloaking (H) Astral Travel-8 [7] 12
Cross-World Communication (H) Astral Travel-1 [0] 13
Penetrating Blow (H) Astral Sword-5 [2] 8
Spectral Dodge (H) Astral Movement-4 [5] 13

Subtotal: 55

Total: 250

Equipment

Clothes
Shoes
Backpack
-Books, notebooks, school supplies
Wallet, keys, et cetra

Notes

The two Skill Conversion perks represent his more intellectual concept of the astral plane, where IQ substitutes for DX. Will should also substitute for HT and ST (and HP), but I'm not sure how to represent that in this context; possibly Extra ST and Extra HT, both with the Astral Only limitation, but if so, I'm not sure how much that limitation is worth, and it would require juggling points. In some settings, this is not necessary, as it would just be a setting switch.

Greg was never the healthiest child growing up, but since he hit puberty, he began having fainting spells when under stress. This is actually a manifestation of his Astral Travel ability, which originally had the Unconscious Only limitation (since bought off), and is still Uncontrollable.

As the Astral Knight, Greg is taller, more muscular-looking, has a voice like Sir Patrick Stewart, and wears what appears to be 16th-century full plate, save that rather than looking metallic, it resembles a cross between blue opal and mother-of-pearl. His Astral Sword also appears to be made of this imaginary substance. I haven't listed his reputation, but it's safe to say that while he has basically no game-useful rep in the physical plane (if I do a revised version, he might have a minor negative rep in school as 'that nerd who faints a lot'), his reputations in the astral plane (good spirits react positively if they recognize him, and evil spirits react negatively if they recognize him) cancel each other out.

Greg is a bit unusual even among minor supers, as he's completely unknown if you have nothing to do with the astral plane - he only learned the Cross-World Communication technique fairly recently.

Templates used (all from GURPS Psis): Unexpected Psi (text box p19), Spirit Warrior (pp21-22), Visual Hunter, Long-Term Projector (Inner Plane lens), and elements of Fast Projector (all p22).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Characters with 'Power-heavy' builds

Does he have any Astral Projection Talent?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 AM   #3
awesomenessofme1

I won't copy them in their entirety, but several of the supers I built for my Malice setting (which I still might go back to one of these days). Let's see if I can get a list of everyone who might qualify...

Blink (84%)
Hyde (72%)
Isaac Jensen (70%)

And a few who didn't reach 2/3, but still have a significant majority
Blue Dragon (61%)
Ursa (60%)
Shard (60%)
Dark Angel (58%)
Scott Wilkinson (57%)
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 AM   #4
Icelander

Default Astral Knight

Nice.

Greg van Horne is a modern version of the Benandanti. He's spruced up his looks on the Astral Plane, but his sword is still recognizably standing in for his stick of sorghum.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Does he have any Astral Projection Talent?
One level of it, yeah. Also Protected Power (Astral Projection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I won't copy them in their entirety, but several of the supers I built for my Malice setting (which I still might go back to one of these days). Let's see if I can get a list of everyone who might qualify...

<SNIP>
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Nice.

Greg van Horne is a modern version of the Benandanti. He's spruced up his looks on the Astral Plane, but his sword is still recognizably standing in for his stick of sorghum.
I'm reasonably sure that they were one of the inspirations, though I don't think I thought a lot about them when working on him.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Another character of the type that this thread is meant for:

Jerome 'Jerry' Greendale, 2020

Attributes

ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 10 [0]

HP 10; Will 13; Per 13; FP 10

Social Background

Languages: English (Native) [0]; thlIngan (Broken) [2]; Vulcan (Broken/Accented) [3].

TL: mature 8^

Cultural Familiarity: 21st Century Western [0].

Subtotal: 65

Advantages

Magery 0 [5]
Serendipity (Magic, -10%) 1 [14]

Staff of Awesome (Breakable, DR 20, HP 20, -5%; Size 0, -25%; Can be Stolen by Magic (Will not immediately work for thief), -5%; see Notes) [443]

Perks

Dabbler (Current Affairs: Headline News 10, Paranormal 12, Popular Culture 10, Regional (local) 10, Science & Technology 11). [1]
Dirty Fighting. [1]
Intuitive Cantrip (Reinforce). [1]
Signature Gear (Staff of Awesome). [1]
Weapon Bond (Staff of Awesome). [1]

Subtotal: 467

Disadvantages

Compulsive Snooping (12) [-5]
Curious (9) [-7]
Overconfidence (12) [-5]
Secret (Magic) [-10]
Skinny [-5]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]

Quirks

Alcohol intolerance. [-1]
Big reader. [-1]
Imaginative. [-1]
Incompetence (Sex Appeal). [-1]
Trekker. [-1]

Subtotal: -52

Skills

Brawling [DX/E] [1] 10
Computer Operation/TL8 [IQ/E] [2] 14
Computer Programming/TL8 [IQ/H] [8] 14
Cryptography/TL8 [IQ/H] [4] 13
Electronics Operation (Communications)TL/8 [IQ/A] [1] 12
Electronics Operation (Surveillance)TL/8 [IQ/A] [1] 12
Electronics Repair (Computers)TL/8 [IQ/A] [2] 13
Fast-Talk [IQ/A] [1] 12
Hobby Skill (Role-Playing Games) [IQ/E] [1] 13
Hobby Skill (Star Trek) [IQ/E] [1] 13
Literature (Science Fiction) [IQ/A] [2] 13
Mathematics (Applied)/TL8 [IQ/H] [4] 13
Mathematics (Cryptology)/TL8 [IQ/H] [default] 8
Photography/TL8 [IQ/A] [1]
Research/TL8 [IQ/A] [2] 13
Ritual Magic (Ćlderu) [IQ/VH] [gadget+2] 15
Scrounging [Per/E] [1] 13
Skating (Skateboard) [HT/H] [2] 9
Staff [DX/A] [2] 10
Stealth [DX/A] [1] 9

Techniques

Retain Weapon (Staff) (H) [2] 11

Subtotal: 41

Total: 521

Equipment

Camera
Skateboard
Hoodie
Nerdy clothes
Velcro shoes
Smartphone
Staff

Notes

Jerry, though a magical character, was built with a template from GURPS Psis: Unexpected Psi. He's designed for a not-totally-serious Secret Magic game, but he could fit any setting that both uses Magic As Powers, and would allow an item like his staff. In a supers game, 'Secret (Magic)' would be changed to 'Secret Identity' at the same point cost, and he'd likely have a mask and costume among his possessions.

Staff of Awesome [681]
<Social Background>
-Ćlderu language (Native). [6]
-Cultural Familiarity (Ćlderu). [1]
Subtotal: 7

<Advantages>
-Exoteleport (Blind, +50%; Staff Only, -80%; Teleportation, -10% changed to Magic, -10%) 4 [43]
-Mystic Affliction (Cosmic Modular Abilities; Afflictions Only, -30%; Magic, -10%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) 60 [300]
-Serendipity (Wishing, +100%; Magic, -10%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) 3 [81]
-Danger Sense (Magic, -10%) [14]
-Force Field (Damage Resistance; Force Field, +20%; Magic, -10%) 20 [110]
-Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction; Magic, -10%) 4 [90]
Subtotal: 638

<Skills>
-Ritual Magic (Ćlderu) [IQ/VH] [16] IQ+2 (15 for Jerry)
-Mental Strength [Will/E] [8] Will+3 (16)
-Symbol Drawing (Ćlderu) [IQ/H] [4] IQ (13)
-Expert Skill (Natural Philosohpy)/TL1^ [IQ/H] [4] IQ (13)
-Cryptid Lore [IQ/A] [2] IQ (13)
-Spirit Lore [IQ/A] [2] IQ (13)
Subtotal: 36

The 'Staff of Awesome' is an ancient magical device, the history and true name of which are lost to time, though at some point in the twelfth century CE, a weapon that may have been this staff was called (something that translates roughly as) 'the Staff of Affliction.' In appearance, it is a durable wooden staff a bit under six feet in length, with unidentifiable symbols etched on it, shod in bronze at both ends; if damaged, it heals itself at the rate of its master (so in Jerry's hands, it has HT 10). The Staff grants Magery 0 to those who don't have it, but once one has already bought it, there's no need to also include it in the point-cost of the Staff. Ritual Magic is the skill that is used to operate any of the Staff's abilities that has 'Requires IQ Roll;' the 'gadget+2' point cost on his own skill list represents the fact that he's learning the skill from the Staff (buying off the Gadget Limitations, in other words), but hasn't gotten that far, and still has the same skill level as he would have otherwise. 'Can be Stolen by Magic' basically means that physically separating the Staff from its bonded master is not enough, the thief much use some magical method determined by the GM to keep it from returning.

Expert Skill (Natural Philosophy)/TL1^ is more useful than it sounds, because it covers a lot about magic, magical materials, and magical plants and animals, as they were understood by a group of powerful and learned Bronze Age magic-users, the scholars of the Ćlderu. The Ćlderu were an ancient and now-forgotten tribe living in what we would call Central Europe during the Bronze Age, who had a (for the time and region) fairly sophisticated system of logograms. Cryptid Lore covers magical beasts that are physical rather than spiritual in nature.

Jerry has had the Staff of Awesome for about a year. Before that, he didn't have any points in anything magical other than Serendipity, nor any combat skills beyond default Brawling and the Dirty Fighting perk, had ST 9, and didn't have Weirdness Magnet (which was the result of an early critical failure).

-- Tacitus

Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
Prince Charon

A villain for an early Golden Age GURPS Supers setting that I have not run yet:

Russel T. Jackson, aka 'Rush,' 1938

Attributes

ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20]

HP 10; Will 10; Per 10; FP 12

Basic Speed: 10; Move: 20; Dodge: 13

Brawling Parry: 14
Knife Parry: 14
Parry Missile Weapons Parry: 14 (9 against bullets)

Social Background

Languages: English (Native) [0]; Italian (Broken) [2].

TL: late 6^

Cultural Familiarity: 20th century Western [0].

Subtotal: 62

Advantages

Eidetic Memory [5]
Street Smart 2 [10]

Basic Move (Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) +10 [20]
Basic Speed (Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) +4 [32]
Enhanced Move (Handling Bonus +5, +25%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 3 (Ground Speed 160) [60]
Enhanced Time Sense (Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) [18]
Immunity to Acceleration (Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) [2]

Enhanced Parry (All; Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 5 [18]
Extra Attack (Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 4 [40]
Mach Punch: Striking ST (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Double Knockback, +20%; Explosion, +50; Incendiary, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Inaccurate -2, -10%; Only while running, -30%; Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 10 [68]
^ High-Speed Punch: Striking ST (Alternate Ability of Mach Punch; Accurate +2, +10%; Double Knockback, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 18 [14]
Super Climbing (Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 4 [4]
Super Jump (Speed Tricks, -5%; Trigger, super-cocaine: Rare, illegal, and addictive, -60%) 4 [16]

Perks

Craft Secret (Super-cocaine). [1]
Dirty Fighting. [1]
Highly responsive to super-drugs. [1]

Subtotal: 310

Disadvantages

Addiction (Super-cocaine; Expensive and highly addictive; Illegal) [-15]
Enemy (The Archetype; Hunter; Built on more than 150% of points; 6 or less) [-10]
Enemy (The Human Bullet; Hunter; Built on more than 150% of points; 9 or less) [-20]
Enemy (Police Department; Hunter; Medium-sized group; 9 or less) [-20]
Jealousy [-10]

Quirks

Attentive. [-1]
Has little respect for the property rights of others. [-1]
Imaginative. [-1]
Loves to run. [-1]
Proud. [-1]

Subtotal: -80

Features

Skills

Acrobatics [DX/H] [4] 12
Area Knowledge (Bad parts of Chicago) [IQ/E] [2] 11
Area Knowledge (Rapid City) [IQ/E] [1] 10
Brawling [DX/E] [2] 13
Climbing [DX/A] [4] 13
Escape [DX/H] [4] 12
Jumping [DX/E] [4] 14
Knife [DX/E] [2] 13
Lockpicking/TL6^ [IQ/A] [4] 11
Merchant [IQ/A] [1] 11*
Parry Missile Weapons [DX/H] [4] 12
Pharmacy (Synthetic; Stimulants)/TL6^ [IQ/A] [4] 11
Running [HT/A] [8] 14
Scrounging [Per/E] [1] 12*
Shadowing [IQ/A] [2] 12*
Streetwise [IQ/A] [4] 13*
Urban Survival [Per/A] [2] 12*

*Includes +2 from Street Smart Talent

Techniques

Disarming (Brawling) (H) Brawling-0 [2] 14
Retain Weapon (Knife) (H) Knife-0 [2] 14
Slip Handcuffs (Escape) (H) Escape-5 [6] 12
Work by Touch (H) Lockpicking-5 [6] 11

Subtotal: 69

Total: 361

Equipment

Costume
Mask
Running shoes

Notes

Rush is a villain and former petty thug who originally got his super-cocaine from the Hyperintellect, mad scientist enemy of the Archetype, but later learned to make it himself. The Archetype is a powerful psychokinetic who claims to be from the lost city of Archos (and secretly makes a living as a mild-mannered comic-book writer and illustrator in Chicago, Illinois), who might appear in this thread at some point, depending on how I end up designing him. The Human Bullet is a speedster from Rapid City, South Dakota who is more likely to appear, and who doesn't need drugs to have super-speed; Rush became the Human Bullet's enemy out of jealousy, when he learned this.

His Pharmacy skill has both a required specialization and an optional specialization, hence the lowered difficulty. Super-cocaine is cocaine that has been treated with superscience chemicals and methods; normal cocaine can treat the withdrawal symptoms, but not entirely remove them. The 'Superscience, -10%' limitation is contained within the Trigger limitation, rather than being separate. The 'Speed Tricks' limitation means that some of his powers are side effects of being and thinking so fast, rather than being powers of their own.

'Highly responsive to super-drugs' means that if a drug grants humans temporary super-powers, he gets more out of it, whether in terms of intensity, duration, or some other benefit (and at least in the case of super-cocaine, what he gets out of it now is more than he got out of it the first time he tried it). This is why the Hyperintellect used him so much, when they still lived in the same city.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 11-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Prince Charon

Someone who just barely qualifies for this thread, but that I thought might be of interest. Note that I used Google Translate's Icelandic option for Old Norse, so I may have made a mistake there:

Halfdan Olavsson, 888 CE

Attributes

ST 12/25 [20]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 10 [0]

HP 12; Will 10 [5]; Per 11 [10]; FP 12 [6]

Social Background

Languages: Old Norse (Native/Illiterate) [-3]; Old Saxon (Accented/Illiterate) [2]; Old Frisian (Accented/Illiterate) [2]; Old English (Broken/Illiterate) [1]; Old French (Broken/Illiterate) [1].

TL: 3^

Cultural Familiarity: Old Norse [0].

Subtotal: 44

Advantages

Combat Reflexes [15]
Fearlessness 3 [6]
Fit [5]
Rank 0 [0]

Charisma (Spirit, -10%) 2 [9]
Danger Sense (Spirit, -10%) [14]
Daredevil (Spirit, -10%) 5 [68]
Stóröxi Brjálćđisins (The Greataxe of Madness; Breakable, DR10, -10%, SM-1, -20%; Can Be Stolen by ST, -30%; Unique, -25%; see Notes) [73]

Perks

Alcohol Tolerance. [1]
Good Neighbor. [1]
No Hangover. [1]
Penetrating Voice. [1]
Strong Blade. [1]

Subtotal: 195

Disadvantages

Bad Temper (15) [-5]
Code of Honor (Nordic) [-10]
Impulsiveness (9) [-15]
Nightmares (12) [-5]
Obsession (9) (keep Stóröxi Brjálćđisins) [-8]
Overconfidence (12) [-5]

Quirks

Claims to be descended from Freyr. [-1]
Defensive about his thin beard. [-1]
Likes dogs. [-1]
Only trains alone. [-1]
Prefers mead when he can get it. [-1]

Subtotal: -52

Features

Skills

Animal Handling (Canines) [IQ/A] [2] 9
Axe/Mace [DX/A] [2] 11
Brawling [DX/E] [4] 13
Carousing [HT/E] [1] 10
Climbing [DX/A] [2] 11
Jumping [DX/E] [1] 11
Leadership [IQ/A] [2] 11*
First Aid/TL3^ [IQ/E] [1] 9
Forced Entry [DX/E] [2] 12
Hiking [HT/A] [4] 11
Intimidation [Will/A] [4] 11
Knife [DX/E] [2] 12
Lifting [HT/A] [2] 10
Running [HT/A] [4] 11
Scrounging [Per/E] [1] 11
Seamanship/TL3^ [IQ/E] [2] 10
Soldier [IQ/A] [4] 10
Survival (Island/Beach) [Per/A] [2] 11
Two-Handed Axe/Mace [DX/A] [12] 14 (16)

*Includes +2 from Charisma.

Techniques

Kicking (H) Brawling-2 [2] 12
Knee Strike (A) Brawling-1 [1] 13

Back Strike (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace-2 [0] 12 (14)
Close Combat (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace-8 [4] 9 (15)
Disarming (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace [2] 15 (17)
Hook (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace-5 [2] 9 (12)

Subtotal: 63

Total: 250

Equipment

Boots
Clothes
Lootbag
Personal basics
Stóröxi Brjálćđisins
Knife
Gambeson, DR1*
Byrnie, DR5*
Padded hood, DR1*
Spangenhelm, DR5

Notes

Halfdan and his axe should fit with minimal adjustment to any fantasy setting that includes both spirit magic and a Vikingesque culture (and shouldn't need much more adjustment for settings with most other sorts of magic). I would describe their base setting as 'early medieval mythohistory,' or 'Viking Age historical-with-spirit-magics.' His spangenhelm has a nasal and spectacles, cheekguards, and a lobsterback, but does not have horns, because his father convinced him that it was a very stupid idea (if he were stubborn, he'd probably have insisted on it anyway, but he'd be the only viking wearing them); instead, the helm is decorated with simple pictures of horns on either side, which didn't cost too much extra.

Halfdan's family line has a tendency toward certain spirit-granted abilities which are said to stem from Freyr, who allegedly is his grandfather's grandfather. His Daredevil ability is unusually strong for the family, which has lead to him becoming more impulsive and overconfident than would be expected of a warrior of his age. (If anyone isn't sure, Daredevil as a leveled advantage is from GURPS Supers p26; Good Neighbor and Strong Blade both come from GURPS Psionic Powers, but here are based on Spirit rather then Probability Alteration and Psychokinesis.) It's fortunate that Halfdan has a number of brothers, because after taking up Stóröxi Brjálćđisins, he isn't likely to have children that outlive him.

He has low Rank and no Reputation because he hasn't earned them yet, being a sixteen-year-old who has only fought in one battle: His own greataxe (cheap, because with the nice armour and impressive helmet he couldn't afford better, and he was expecting Strong Blade to compensate) was broken by a berserker with a much better greataxe, and then his life was saved when the berserker was beheaded by a magic arrow. Thus, he took up the dead enemy's greataxe, never thinking that it might not be the wisest idea. (He also has Rank 0 because he's an impulsive, overconfident idiot, so the fact that he's good at getting people to listen to him is something of a worry for his captain.)

He was built partly using the Soldier template from GURPS Historical Folks p103 (and the 4e conversion hosted at RPK's MyGURPS.com, pp43-44, which provides the Heavy Infantry lens). Because he goes i-viking, I also had a look at the Sailor template (p97 in 3e, p41 in 4e). Being heavy infantry, he's not a good swimmer. He's perhaps not the most point-efficient, but I decided to pump him up to 250. I might create a more toned down version later, more appropriate for a Horror or other Secret Magic sort of game (so, either no powers apart from the axe, or fewer and much weaker, and the axe itself would be far less powerful, though the Obsession and Divine Curse would remain). That one wouldn't fit this thread, though.

Stóröxi Brjálćđisins (The Greataxe of Madness) [364 points]
Haunted by the tormented ghosts of previous wielders and decorated in gold stolen from a king, this fine Nordic great axe was commissioned by Vali the Mad, from a Lapplander blacksmith with a reputation for wizardry (more so than average for the Lapps). Vali then murdered the smith so that he wouldn't have to pay him, but the wizard lived long enough to curse the weapon. When the axe is being carried, whether in the hand or not, the advantages do not apply, nor do the temporary disadvantages (though the Divine Curse works its dark magic continuously, if slowly); only when it is being used, whether for attack or intimidation (or even training if there is anyone nearby when he does so), do the advantages and temporary disadvantages activate. When the axe is no-longer being used, the advantages are no-longer available. Note also that damage that has already been reduced by Injury Tolerance does not increase when the advantage ends; on the other hand, a wielder who is injured badly enough will suddenly have to make consciousness and survival rolls without the bonus - even with all the power it grants, many's the holder of Stóröxi Brjálćđisins who wins a battle, and then immediately falls down stone dead.

Like Halfdan, many wielders of the Greataxe of Madness suffer from nightmares brought on by the ghosts bound to the blade. More sensitive holders may also hear phantom voices, or even take up personality traits from some of the more strong-willed spirits.

The Obsession comes from the axe, but is listed as part of the character, as it is heavily imprinted on the owner - if he ever loses the axe and survives, he will instead become obsessed with getting it back, even if it's lost at sea, and if he fell overboard, it is likely that he would refuse to give up the greataxe, even as he drowned (this happened to a previous holder; the haft still has faint marks from where a shark bit it, and then swam around unable to open its jaw for fear of losing the weapon, until it starved to death and washed ashore, axe still clutched in its deathgrip). The self-control rating of the Obsession grows worse with time, more swiftly the weaker the holder's will is.

The curse will make the wielder's reputation grow worse and worse, likewise driving away (or killing, often at his own hands) the wielder's friends and loved ones, until none are left.

Statistics:
Advantages
Altered Time Rate (Temporary Disadvantage: Berserk (12) w/ Battle Rage, -15%; Spirit, -10%) 2 [150]
Extra ST without HP (Temporary Disadvantage: Berserk (12) w/ Battle Rage, -15%; Spirit, -10%) 13 [98]
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction (Temporary Disadvantage: Lifebane, -10%; Spirit, -10%) 4 [75]
Hard to Kill (Temporary Disadvantage: Lifebane, -10%; Spirit, -10%) 10 [16]
Hard to Subdue (Temporary Disadvantage: Lifebane, -10%; Spirit, -10%) 10 [16]

Disadvantage
Divine Curse ('Die unmourned.'; Spirit, -10%) [-9]

Skills and techniques (Temporary Disadvantage: Berserk (12) w/ Battle Rage, -15%; Spirit, -10%) [18]
Two-Handed Axe/Mace [DX/A] [8] +2
Close Combat (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace-8 [4] +4
Retain Weapon (Two-Handed Axe/Mace) (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace [6] +5
Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Neck) (H) Two-Handed Axe/Mace-5 [6] at skill

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-04-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
Varyon

Hundred-Hands Haley spent around 70.4% of her [250] budget on her TK and related powers (Compartmentalized Mind, Limited to only work with TK, and Vibration Sense (Air), a side effect of her powers).

Free Punner ended up shockingly close to Haley, with 69.6% of his [250] budget spent on his powers (a repulsor aura and super jump with bouncing). I'll note that, given Kromm's clarification of how the Bouncing Enhancement works, he'd probably be more effective just pumping all those points into Super Jump.

One Trick Pony wasn't actually built, but the idea was to have a completely unremarkable person (probably built on somewhere between [-25] and [25]) and then pump all her remaining points (of the [250] budget) to boost her Alternate Form (with many of those points being spent on her horn attack).
Old 11-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Hundred-Hands Haley spent around 70.4% of her [250] budget on her TK and related powers (Compartmentalized Mind, Limited to only work with TK, and Vibration Sense (Air), a side effect of her powers).

Free Punner ended up shockingly close to Haley, with 69.6% of his [250] budget spent on his powers (a repulsor aura and super jump with bouncing). I'll note that, given Kromm's clarification of how the Bouncing Enhancement works, he'd probably be more effective just pumping all those points into Super Jump.

One Trick Pony wasn't actually built, but the idea was to have a completely unremarkable person (probably built on somewhere between [-25] and [25]) and then pump all her remaining points (of the [250] budget) to boost her Alternate Form (with many of those points being spent on her horn attack).
Thank you. Interesting ideas, there.

-- Tacitus

Tags
characters, powers, supers