Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-16-2022, 03:11 AM   #21
RogerBW

Default Re: Dice?

I have a large collection that I've accrued over the years. The ones I use most often, though, are a set of three "double d6" (white d12s marked with black pips for 1-6 twice).
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #22
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
The ones I use most often, though, are a set of three "double d6"
What advantage do you find for the double 6 over the regular d6?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #23
Shostak

Double d6 roll beautifully.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #24
RogerBW

Just that. Better rolling with less force than standard cubical d6.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:42 PM   #25
Anaraxes

Makes sense. How about triple d4s, then?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:07 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I saw those several years ago but I'm okay with my D4s bouncing.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:46 AM   #27
Armin
GCA Prime

I have a bunch of those double-six dice as well, although I don't have enough issue with regular d6 to have prompted me to use them.

I really like that I have enough various d6 that I can often customize the ones I'm using to have colors/designs to match what I'm doing. Although I really dislike 'fancy' d6 that have designs all over the various faces, as they're much harder to read the actual face value. I like pips, but love skulls or dragons or whatever for a single face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I don't have triples, but I do have and use double-fours (d4s that are d8s numbered 1-4 twice) for my magic missiles in the D&D game I'm in. Highly preferable to me over the standard shape, and more pleasant to try and roll.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #28
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I really like that I have enough various d6 that I can often customize the ones I'm using to have colors/designs to match what I'm doing. Although I really dislike 'fancy' d6 that have designs all over the various faces, as they're much harder to read the actual face value. I like pips, but love skulls or dragons or whatever for a single face.
For dice with a single decorated face, I believe US convention is that the decoration replaces the 6; European is that it replaces the 1. (Maybe the other way round.) For this reason I don't have dice like that; I want to read them quickly without picking them up and looking at the bottom face to check.

(Several of the ones johndallman had made used custom pips – elements of a flag, skull and crossbones, etc. – and that works very well.)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #29
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
For dice with a single decorated face, I believe US convention is that the decoration replaces the 6; European is that it replaces the 1. (Maybe the other way round.) For this reason I don't have dice like that; I want to read them quickly without picking them up and looking at the bottom face to check.
I'm not sure what the convention is, but I definitely have some dice with the symbol on the 6 and others with it on the 1. It is sometimes confusing, I'll grant you, but usually only the first time I play with the dice after a while, and checking before I roll is usually enough to keep me straight during play. I'd never mix dice with the two different conventions, as that would definitely confuse me during play.

Quote:
(Several of the ones johndallman had made used custom pips – elements of a flag, skull and crossbones, etc. – and that works very well.)
I have some of that type, as well. I like the potential extra flavor they can offer so long as they stay clear and readable. Most of the ones I have are newer to me, and I haven't played with them yet.