Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #201
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

OK, that's two votes (one of them being mine) for our Star Fleet expy having survival knives, and one for no standard-issue melee weapons, but yes for survival tools/multitools. Anyone else want to weigh in?

EDIT: ericthered, I've been reading your blog, and am working on a question for this thread to vote on, related to the 'Eggshells with Hammers' issue for GURPS Spaceships. BTW, when you checked the scaling of armour, did you also check the scaling of force fields?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #202
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
EDIT: ericthered, I've been reading your blog, and am working on a question for this thread to vote on, related to the 'Eggshells with Hammers' issue for GURPS Spaceships. BTW, when you checked the scaling of armour, did you also check the scaling of force fields?
Thank for the interest.

If you accept armor DR scaling linearly with its thickness*, The armor in spaceships scales wonderfully, and force screens scale just like armor systems. The DR value is consistently twice the value of the best armor at that TL, and four times if you pay for the heavy screens (which don't actually weigh more).

*something that is very true in gurps for larger values of armor, but that I'm less sure about for human scale armor. It plays well with the damage used for gurps weapons by caliber and by energy output, though the scaling of caliber sizes on spaceships in the book is quite odd.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #203
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Thank for the interest.

If you accept armor DR scaling linearly with its thickness*, The armor in spaceships scales wonderfully, and force screens scale just like armor systems. The DR value is consistently twice the value of the best armor at that TL, and four times if you pay for the heavy screens (which don't actually weigh more).

*something that is very true in gurps for larger values of armor, but that I'm less sure about for human scale armor. It plays well with the damage used for gurps weapons by caliber and by energy output, though the scaling of caliber sizes on spaceships in the book is quite odd.
Huh. If our Star Fleet expy normally springs for heavy screens, that probably solves the Eggshells with Hammers issue in a way that's consistent with both the show's setting, and how I'm imagining this setting.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #204
isf

Quote:
OK, that's two votes (one of them being mine) for our Star Fleet expy having survival knives, and one for no standard-issue melee weapons, but yes for survival tools/multitools. Anyone else want to weigh in?

I think that it would be situational: technicians on the ship probably carry the equivalent of a multitool and away teams often carry a basic survival kit (something on the order of a couple of pounds plus any needed equipment for the environment they are going to. I think that the various uniform options should build on a basic emergency vacsuit, adding jackets, boots, packs and such as needed by mission and/or job.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #205
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Huh. If our Star Fleet expy normally springs for heavy screens, that probably solves the Eggshells with Hammers issue in a way that's consistent with both the show's setting, and how I'm imagining this setting.
Force screens is the TL11^ technology that makes those pesky TL7 missiles behave. Using larger ships also helps weaken missiles, so star trek is in a pretty good place on the egg-shells with hammers front. You still need to respect x-ray lasers though: At SM+10 a major x-ray laser battery does an average of 100(5) damage against the 300 DR heavy force screen for an average of 40 damage against a 150 HP ship. The equivalent missiles do an average of 240 damage against the 300 DR heavy screen. Also, its easier to add more forcescreens and hard to increase damage.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #206
Prince Charon

OK, the question that I was going to ask no-longer makes as much sense as I thought, and may not be needed, so here's a different one:

Earliest 'Preserver' Activity question

This is another one that probably should have been asked sooner. When did the Preservers or their equivalent begin taking life-forms from Earth and settling them on other worlds? The farther back it is, the more likely that there were multiple groups doing this, but that's another question. I'll also probably be asking how often they did, and when they stopped, but again, those are questions for later.

Please include the number when you vote.

1. Prior to 66 million years ago.

2. Circa the K-T Event (66 million year ago, approximately).

3. Circa the Eocene-Oligocene extinction event (about 34 million years ago).

4. Circa the Middle Miocene disruption (about 14 million years ago).

5. Circa the Lower Paleolithic (around 3 million yeas ago).

6. Circa the Toba Event (closer to 70,000 years ago, rather than the actual eruption).

7. Circa the Quaternary extinction event (around 10,000 years ago).

8. Circa the Protohistorical era (in the rough vicinity of 5,000 years ago).

9. More recently than protohistory (please specify).

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #207
TGLS

2, if you're going to use it to have a less silly reason for the Voth or have Kirk ride a Brontosaurus.

No earlier than 6 if you want to place Humans civilizations around, like in the TOS episode.

Somewhere between if you're using them as an excuse for why everybody is Humanoid.

Not one for all three decisions unless you have a good excuse for why there all gone.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #208
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm I've two minds. One half of me says to aim for the 400,000 year mark (in the middle of the big gap between 5 and 6), so as to give humans adequate time to evolve and develop on their new home-worlds. The other half of me says to target 7, so that we have an excuse for everyone developing space travel at the same time.

And if we want to use an earlier wave of seeding, that should be a different group.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #209
Phantasm

I'm in the "between 5 and 7" era myself, but probably closer to 6.

For a wider ranging set of life, you may want to have each of those be true! The Preservers just kept coming back to Earth to see how things have changed, or perhaps different waves of Preservers stopping by each time.

And be sure to add a more historical incident for some of their activity as well. You never know when you may want to run "A Piece of the Action" with mobsters from the actual 1920s.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #210
Emerald Cat

I personally lean towards 7 myself. 10K years gives the displaced humans plenty of time to develop their own unique cultures. That may also be long enough for some minor adaptation to occur.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building